Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It can offer lots of things that will have a positive impact on guest experience..

• If I don't have to wait an hour for a fireworks place.. that's a benefit to me
  • If they are going to offer order ahead.. even if you don't want that service, that means they'll likely post their menus online and you can't get it direct from disney (updated) rather than relying on 3rd party sites
  • The idea that I can see return times and wait times on my smartphone is a benefit (this too was part of nextgen build up)
  • The idea I can check FP/FP+ availability without having to cross the park to figure out is a benefit
  • The idea I will have kiosks in the park I can check dining availability (as well as via my devices) is a benefit
  • The potential for services like people locating would be a benefit
  • The potential for improvement in services by knowing actual crowd loads (like bus stops) would be a benefit
  • The potential for new show integration (just because you may not enjoy it doesn't mean all guests won't)
  • etc etc

How can you argue any of those are NOT positives for the guest? The reality is people are taking the things they perceive as negative and throw out all the positive because of the negative.. and then argue there is nothing in it for the guests. Well certainly not if you've cleared the table of anything positive because you had something you saw as a negative first...

Amen. I think a lot of people hate the idea of FP+ and booking reservations ahead. Now we are just inventing reasons why it will be a disaster. This went from just being a bad idea, to being immoral, to being illegal and now unconstitutional in a matter of a few days. I am missing where any company source mentioned anything about plans to sell data or personal information outside the company. If this is such a big driver of the profits that will be gained from NextGen why aren't they playing it up to analysts and Wall Street. If the numbers look grim they would certainly want to point to this new revenue stream as a source of future cash flows. I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but this has gotten a little out of hand IMHO.

DonaldDoleWhip

If this is such a big driver of the profits that will be gained from NextGen why aren't they playing it up to analysts and Wall Street. If the numbers look grim they would certainly want to point to this new revenue stream as a source of future cash flows. I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but this has gotten a little out of hand IMHO.
I'm no Wall Street expert, but sometimes the problem isn't with the numbers themselves; rather, it's how the numbers compare to analysts' expectations. So if I were a Disney executive, I'd want to keep quiet about some of the revenue-generating aspects of this new venture, which in turn will keep expectations lower (allowing Disney to exceed expectations if they've correctly predicted internally how NextGen will play out).

Disney's gotta keep some of their tricks up their sleeve (or at least attempt to do so).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
See Lee's post on the previous page. Company sources speaking publicly don't get any better than that.

It's a quote from an article published in 2009 about direct marketing ads on websites. Like the little things that pop up on your page here. He wasn't talking about NextGen. Hardly a smoking gun IMHO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm no Wall Street expert, but sometimes the problem isn't with the numbers themselves; rather, it's how the numbers compare to analysts' expectations. So if I were a Disney executives, I'd want to keep quiet about some of the revenue-generating aspects of this new venture, which in turn will keep expectations lower (allowing Disney to exceed expectations if they've correctly predicted internally how NextGen will play out).

Disney's gotta keep some of their tricks up their sleeve (or at least attempt to do so).

That's a possibility. I'm not even saying that I don't think that they can or will sell data mined from the system, just that we really don't know what their intent is and the only evidence we have is from an unnamed source. This could be the extract plan, but it could also be complete fiction.

DonaldDoleWhip

That's a possibility. I'm not even saying that I don't think that they can or will sell data mined from the system, just that we really don't know what their intent is and the only evidence we have is from an unnamed source. This could be the extract plan, but it could also be complete fiction.
Agreed. I don't necessarily believe Disney will be selling my personal information, but I can understand the paranoia surrounding this whole project. Disney wouldn't have invested billions into it simply to 'improve the guest experience' in such a controversially-received way. They have to be gaining something from this, even if NextGen ends up turning off quite a few visitors.

MUTZIE77

Kinda what I was getting at earlier.
If I opt out, I clearly am going to have a "lesser" experience than someone who has opted in, such as being subjected to longer wait times.

That being the case, shouldn't an "opt out ticket" cost less?

It's almost bribery. They'll give you extra benefits in exchange for you subjecting yourself to the data mining/tracking, etc.

To me, that's maybe the most important part if this whole thing. The obvious negative impact on guests who opt out.

An opt out ticket should absolutely cost less, since a guest that opts out will be waiting in longer lines and that guests "magic number" of rides will not be met. They are really giving me more and more reasons not to visit WDW anymore. Meanwhile the rumors of Jurassic Park expansion have gotten me excited about the park down the road.

nytimez

It's a quote from an article published in 2009 about direct marketing ads on websites. Like the little things that pop up on your page here. He wasn't talking about NextGen. Hardly a smoking gun IMHO.

Out of context is even better...

Out of context... or you simply don't have an answer for that one, so you won't answer it?

You can believe Iger made the comment and passing and that he was narrowly focused on Web advertising. Or you can believe that the CEO of The Walt Disney Company is always looking at the bigger picture and is looking at it well before the implications filter down to you or I.

You choose the former. I choose the latter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. I don't necessarily believe Disney will be selling my personal information, but I can understand the paranoia surrounding this whole project. Disney wouldn't have invested billions into it simply to 'improve the guest experience' in such a controversially-received way. They have to be gaining something from this, even if NextGen ends up turning off quite a few visitors.

This post sums up a bunch of ways to make a return on NextGen besides selling data. I stole it from another thread, but it's a good summary worthy of a repeat:

Below is my theory on how Next Gen improves WDW financials (assuming FP+ remains "free" as we've been told):
  • Improve hotel occupancy rates – If guests staying at Deluxe Resorts (for example) get 4 extra FP+ per day, Moderate Resorts get 2 extra FP+ per day, and Value Resorts get 1 extra FP+ per day that they can book in advance, this encourages offsite guests to stay onsite and encourages onsite guests to upgrade their hotel. There's only a finite number of desirable FP+ for (for example) TSM. Use these "good" FP+ to lure guests onsite. Tie in ADRs to FP+. Either set aside some prime ADRs for onsite guests or allow onsite guests to book their FP+ or ADRs sooner. (Think Deluxe Resort guests booking 6 months in advance, Moderate 5 months, Value 4 months, and everyone else 3 months.) As a result of these initiatives, WDW hotel occupancy rates should improve, with more people staying at the very expensive (and very profitable) Deluxe Resorts. Operating expenses for hotels with 90% occupancy are not much more than hotels with 70% occupancy. Filling unoccupied rooms in existing hotels has a tremendous profit margin.
  • Eliminate Extra Magic Hours – EMHs are an enormous operating expense. Considerable money could be saved by getting rid of these. With a multi-tiered FP+ system for onsite guests during regular park hours, EMHs are no longer needed. Hugh savings for WDW.
  • Improve theme park attendance - It seems possible more onsite guests will visit WDW theme parks for more days during their vacations, knowing they have FP+ experiences reserved for each day.
  • Reduce or eliminate "Free Dining" and "Room Only" discounts - Bob Iger has stated that the public needs to be weaned off “Free Dining” and “Room Only” discounts. A multi-tiered perks system built around Next Gen might be a way to do this. Onsite guests get more FP+, better ADRs, and preferred viewing. Deluxe Resort guests get more than Moderate or Value Resort guests. As a result, WDW no longer needs to offer as many discounts if guests have stronger incentives to stay onsite, especially since these incentives require minimal opex. Possibly offer "bonus" FP+ during slower seasons as a way to increase onsite and/or offsite attendance.
  • Increase guest spending - Spend $200 at the Emporium; get rewarded with a "bonus" FP+. Book a Keys To the Kingdom Tour; get a "bonus" FP+. The possibilities are endless. FP+ is "free" but it's "more free" for those who spend more. And it's possible because Next Gen is an integrated system, unifying guest spending with more traditional WDW "experiences". Disney can use FP+ as a sort of Pavlov's Dog experiment to produce the behavior they want (i.e. more spending).
  • Price increases – Of course. Just like they did when they switched to the Magic Your Way ticket system, WDW almost certainly has plans to repackage some things and then charge more for essentially the same service.
None of these have to do with hoping guests spend more money with all their "free time" (something that didn't work with FP), using the data mined information for targeted advertising (although this might happen), or expecting improved operational efficiency (which should occur). Instead, if it works, what I postulate gets consumers to spend more before they arrive, encourages them to spend more after they arrive, and reduces cost in obvious ways.

The beauty of the FP+/NextGen system is that its benefits can be tweaked by changing a few input variables. Not enough guests staying at Deluxe Resorts? Increase their number of FP+ while reducing the numbers allocated to everyone else. Tweaking this model is essentially free, which means TDO can experiment with all sorts of combinations before settling on one that generates the most revenue.

By adding attractions, dining, viewing areas, and meet & greets to FP+, TDO has taken absolute control over everyone's WDW experience.

I just hope I'm wrong.

Lee

Adventurer
It is 100% relevant to the topic at hand.
NextGen is simply another tool, like the company's websites, that can be used to generate data that can be sold to outside firms. If you think that isn't the case....I'm wasting my time typing this sentence.

Lee

Adventurer
applying the article to say Disney is going to sell harvested data from the parks is taking stuff out of context - that is my answer.
More like taking a quote that shows his mindset about harvesting sellable data and applying it to the company's latest, and largest effort, to do so.
It's Exhibit A against the idea that they aren't looking to monetize the collected data, no matter how they collect it. Your Honor, it goes to show motive and intent.

nytimez

applying the article to say Disney is going to sell harvested data from the parks is taking stuff out of context - that is my answer.

So you're suggesting that he's interested in selling customer data... but he's not interested in selling this data? Sorry. Not buying it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
By sending you discounts and offers via their sponsors based on what you do while at WDW.

Driving by a GM/Chevy Dealership after your trip to WDW? Your smartphone and/or email will get offers sent from those friendly sponsors of Test Track (and other sponsors). Rode test track quite a few times on your trip? Instagrammed it? Tweeted to Disney about it? You'll love the special offer they give you by offering you a free test drive of one their Chevy cars for a few hours at your local dealership and then they'll deposit more Fastpass+ credits into your account so that you can remain brand-loyal when you visit WDW again.

Absolutely. Disney doesn't have to 'sell' anything when it comes to their third-party sponsors who are 'part of the Disney Family' ... Buy seven Dole Whips in two days? Suddenly, you might get offers from Dole for canned fruit or frozen treats when you get home.

This is VERY simple.

Sorta like if you are interviewing for a job with a company you don't place proprietary information that's meant for employees on your fan-based web-site/business and still expect to have any shot at getting said job. ... Unless it was leaked it placed on your site as a favor/test by Social Media, that is. ... The rest of you in the real world: I would NOT try this with prospective employers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom