Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

ToTBellHop

E
Which is interesting, because I'm a teacher too, have never gotten the flu shot, and haven't yet gotten the flu from students. As The Mom said, I think it's also a matter of people's immune systems as well.
Eh...not really. It's a matter of luck. Your immune system determines how long it takes you to recover, not whether or not you get infected. Your immune system does not respond to infection until well after infection has started.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Got my first flu shot last year (and shingles vaccine). Didn't get sick. Got another one this year - haven't gotten sick yet. But hardly ever get sick anyway. My in-laws have gotten theirs every year (for decades), and get sick every year - but are convinced they would be even sicker without the shot. Last time I was sick was Christmas, 1978. Unless you count the myriad pregnancy related "illnesses.' I originally thought my daughter was a stomach virus. :oops:

Some people just have a stronger/weaker immune system. I attribute mine to growing up in a large family in a house with no central heat(in New England) and dozens of assorted animals - including rabbits and chickens outside in a coop, along with the usual cats and dogs. You haven't lived until you've had to chip the ice off the inside of your window to look out. Or have really had a 3 dog (or cat) night.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. ;)

Ive only ever had it once and I reacted badly. I was more or less out of action for two days. As a result Ive avoided it ever since. It has been suggested that my medical state at that time may have also been down to the six (yes six) other vaccinations that the Air Force saw fit to administer at the same jabbing session.
Ive not had many colds since though.
Just dont mention Yellow Fever jabs...............

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Got my first flu shot last year (and shingles vaccine). Didn't get sick. Got another one this year - haven't gotten sick yet. But hardly ever get sick anyway. My in-laws have gotten theirs every year (for decades), and get sick every year - but are convinced they would be even sicker without the shot. Last time I was sick was Christmas, 1978. Unless you count the myriad pregnancy related "illnesses.' I originally thought my daughter was a stomach virus. :oops:

Some people just have a stronger/weaker immune system. I attribute mine to growing up in a large family in a house with no central heat(in New England) and dozens of assorted animals - including rabbits and chickens outside in a coop, along with the usual cats and dogs. You haven't lived until you've had to chip the ice off the inside of your window to look out. Or have really had a 3 dog (or cat) night.

I used to get sick every Winter like clock work, since I started getting flu shots I have never gotten the flu.

michmousefan

I have never in my long life gotten a flu shot. I doubt I ever will. ... Anyone I know who has, always gets sick anyway.
Not to get too "doctory" on y'all, but there are lots of flu viruses out there... the annual shot only covers three of them... the three that folks at the Centers for Disease Control "bet" on being the likeliest offenders for that particular year. So if someone has a flu shot, if they get infected with one of those other strains... they will be just as sick as normal.

toolsnspools

Not to get too "doctory" on y'all, but there are lots of flu viruses out there... the annual shot only covers three of them... the three that folks at the Centers for Disease Control "bet" on being the likeliest offenders for that particular year. So if someone has a flu shot, if they get infected with one of those other strains... they will be just as sick as normal.

That's the line the CDC gives you anyway... It's really mind control goo with a one year lifespan, so the annual flu shot was the best way to keep you coming back for another dose. It works like Mickey Bars do for getting you to come back to Florida and empty your wallet. :eek:

I'm hopefully working my last day from home this week. I got the shot in early December and the flu kicked in right on schedule 3 weeks later. I'll skip it for another few years and see if I stay healthy.

Bolna

Ok so since I read just about every post in this thread I feel I must comment, so here it goes!

Wow! What a post, but interesting to read! You just forgot to comment on the flu shots... ;)

I think your comment on FP+ is spot on. I was wondering as well what kind of choices people would get if they let it up to Disney to chose their FPs for them. And as a planner I agree with your comments that I kind of like the idea of being able to make sure to see certain attractions. But the overall "cost" for getting that (longer standby lines, loss in flexibility) just appears far too high.

tracyandalex

Wow! What a post, but interesting to read! You just forgot to comment on the flu shots... ;)

I think your comment on FP+ is spot on. I was wondering as well what kind of choices people would get if they let it up to Disney to chose their FPs for them. And as a planner I agree with your comments that I kind of like the idea of being able to make sure to see certain attractions. But the overall "cost" for getting that (longer standby lines, loss in flexibility) just appears far too high.

Ugh, I was so close!! I never get a flu shot, DH always does but often gets sick too.
My leaning towards FP+ is that we are late risers and thus have not been on Soarin for years because all the FPs are gone by the time we get to the park. The only reason we get TSMM is because DD insists on the Disney Junior breakfast, sadly it is her favorite meal on property (it might be battling with Chef Mickey's).
I have afeeling the FPs Disney chooses for you will be a waste (or perhaps not depending on how the stand by lines end up) a la HM and PotC.
I am really really really hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

awoogala

When HM has those 1 hour waits, I imagine the "interactive" queue will have the exact opposite effect as is intended. It won't serve as entertainment to pass the time, it will serve as an incredibly aggravating cacophony of repetitive sounds that will more then likely drive sane people to insanity. Sure 5 year olds might enjoy it, but is that really what we should be aiming for?
we tried it last time, for the sake of it (even though both lines were open, not fp+ yet!)
My main issue was waiting for a turn. People would park themselves at a toy, and not move, even when the line did. Then your part of the line would move, and if you are a decent person, you move ahead, missing the toy. Next toy, someone else is hogging it.
Most who were doing the hogging were adults.. the kids seemed to understand sharing.
Now what happens when the line is not moving much, and it's hot, crowded, and people are hogging. There are going to be fistfights in the queue, I know it. People have a hard enough time at wdw when we are corralled single file one at a time. free for all is going to turn violent.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And as you said earlier, DL still does now. Has happened many times to me when I'm there. Disappointed? Sure, but I know it's necessary and move on. In fact, it makes me want to come back to ride those attractions again.

If things are updated regularly, then they won't have to be don as long as they have to be now. It's simple: Preventative maintenance saves time and money in the long run. A few guest complaining shouldn't stop attractions from not literally falling apart.

The scary thing is Disney has used guests to actually lower standards across property. People do want everything open for their trips. A WDW trip isn't a cheap proposition (unless say you Priceline rooms, eat off-property mostly and have CM friends get you in for free -- then, it is VERY cheap!), so that's understandable. But having everything open isn't a logical conclusion and most (non arrested development) adults and mature kids understand this.

Also, it's not as if DLR or TDR are inexpensive either.

WDW desperately needs a VP of Show Quality Standards/Guest Services that is from outside the company and doesn't report to anyone except the Prez of WDW and the head of P&R, one who understands the product and what is truly important. ... Yes, TDO ... you know where and how to reach me!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I never ever want to take over the Spirits thread. Dosnt really matter. They always run off in so many different directions that it rarely matters.....as long as the discussion is Spirited. As some may know I am at POP right now......never again. I mean never. The elevator in building 5....the floor hasnt been mopped going on two days now. The same soda sticky mess is still there. The manager of this placed should be fired! The place isnt even up to the standard of .....forget that. There is no standard. The place is a friggin dump. That said I am pleasantly surprised with my room. Once inside everything is just peachy. Not sure how that happens.

It isn't my thread. I just started it. And since it was an observations thread, your current observations are certainly pertinent here, especially since I didn't stay at Pop Century and haven't even visited it in years now.

But I must ask, did you go over and talk to someone at the front desk or call from your room about said elevator? I think a lot of this stuff slips through the cracks because of bad mangement/not enough oversight, but also because people notice, but never say anything. I don't care what you're paying to stay there, the place should be clean and I have to wonder how many CMs have been in that same elevator and ignored it. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem and that goes for us guests too.

Now, I am happy to hear about the state of your room and that certainly is move important than the elevator. BUT ... it does not excuse anything either.

Look forward to hearing more ... if you see @EPCOT Explorer crying while watching Wishes at the MK tonight, please, please, please ... make fun of him and grab his Figment plush and run!

asianway

The scary thing is Disney has used guests to actually lower standards across property. People do want everything open for their trips. A WDW trip isn't a cheap proposition (unless say you Priceline rooms, eat off-property mostly and have CM friends get you in for free -- then, it is VERY cheap!), so that's understandable. But having everything open isn't a logical conclusion and most (non arrested development) adults and mature kids understand this.

Also, it's not as if DLR or TDR are inexpensive either.

WDW desperately needs a VP of Show Quality Standards/Guest Services that is from outside the company and doesn't report to anyone except the Prez of WDW and the head of P&R, one who understands the product and what is truly important. ... Yes, TDO ... you know where and how to reach me!
With failure of a parks' SQS audit being AUTOMATIC loss of annual bonuses for all park execs. Unless you hit them where it hurts, that position would have no teeth. Otherwise the only meaningful work would be oversight of OLC who would pass with flying colors without an audit.

With no personal knowledge I assume park exec bonuses are half based on meeting profit objectives, half guest surveys. Both seem to be where they "game" the system the most. Zero accountability seems to be there for Growing new business, CM satisfaction, Guest loyalty, or maintaining market share.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Another tid bit of info.... I had dinner at Ohana. I noticed there were SEVERAL open tables at the five o'clock seating.....never would have thought I would see that.

That's not a huge surprise.

Because of the holidays falling on Tuesdays this year, it is a bit of a strange holiday season. I still think it's the holidays, but most people I know think they're all over.

Also, who wants to eat at 5 p.m.? Folks over 75? 80? @CBOMB 's age?

How was your dinner and how much did it cost? Was the holiday surcharge in effect?

asianway

That's not a huge surprise.

Because of the holidays falling on Tuesdays this year, it is a bit of a strange holiday season. I still think it's the holidays, but most people I know think they're all over.

Also, who wants to eat at 5 p.m.? Folks over 75? 80? @CBOMB 's age?

How was your dinner and how much did it cost? Was the holiday surcharge in effect?
Full effect, with TiW being blocked on NYE and NYD

WDW1974

Original Poster

I wonder how your daughter feels about being thought to be a virus?:D

I admit it is weird that I haven't had the flu or even a cold since 2008 (basically it hit on the debarkation day of a Tranatlantic cruise when I was flying home from London from later in the day ... just got progressively worse and then having to spend the night at a hotel in Newark due to an airline's mistake, made it full blown by the time I got to bed). I've never had a great immune system and while I don't weigh 456 pounds, I don't live the healthiest of lifestyles. Yet, since that last illness, I have traveled all over the world, lived and worked in China multiple times for months each, and spent a load of time in theme parks and not picked up anything really. A few times I've thought 'maybe I'm getting sick ... and it was either an allergy deal or a few ibuprofen later and I felt better immediately).

I truly hope my 'streak' continues.

Fun WDWMAGIC health fact: @Lee had a 23-year no-vomit streak end on a Disney Cruise.

(I know, you never know what you're gonna get on one of my threads!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom