Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

RSoxNo1

Business leaders don't concede anything. The people running businesses eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff. When they fail, it's not because they didn't try but because they outfoxed themselves or, if you will, convinced themselves that their idiotic strategies (in hindsight) were sure-fire winners. This is why when they fail it's usually in spectacular ways. They thought they were smarter than everyone else. The egos involved are huge. When they fail, rather than being smarter than everyone else, usually they were too clever for their own good.

The powers making the decisions affecting WDW, whether you believe they reside in Orlando or Burbank, are absolutely convinced they have a strategy to smack down Universal and put it back in its place. The questions are: What is this strategy? Will it work?

In the 2000s, WDW tried what they considered to be a more traditional approach, swapping out some old attractions for new ones. Think Mission: Space (2003), Soarin' (2005), Expedition Everest (2006), and Toy Story Mania (2008). All are popular attractions today. However, these were initiated during the Eisner regime, even if finished later. The fact that none of these appreciably boosted attendance coupled with Eisner's spectacular fall from grace means the current regime wants to distance itself from that line of thinking. Instead of following the old tried-and-true, something Universal is doing, they want to "revolutionize" the theme park business. You know, like the Ford Edsel and Sony Beta. What is their strategy? What will they do?

Enter NextGen.

Disney already is advertising NextGen as a way to customize your vacation. Baloney. NextGen's ultimate goal is to customize how much you pay for your vacation.

Everyone has a different price-point, a different amount they are willing to spend for a WDW vacation. Disney wants to use NextGen to find that point. If the most you're willing to spend is $5,785.37, Disney eventually will offer a vacation package that costs, surprise, $5,785.37. You want to spend $1,785.37? Disney will have something for you too. The person paying $5,785.37 will get a better theme park experience than the person paying $1,785.37. Better FP+, better viewing locations, better ADRs, better meet & greets. It's that simple. NextGen gives Disney absolute control over how everyone vacations at WDW.

You might say, "I have control." Sure, if you think standing in line for 120 minutes is "control" then more power to you. If you think "I'll be able to pick my FP+" is control then you've misunderstood what FP+ is. With FP+, you'll get whatever Disney decides to offer you. If you are offered TSM FP+ you'll think "This is great." If you are offered SGE FP+ you'll think "What do I need this for?" With NextGen, Disney controls what you get. Who will get most of the TSM FP+, the person paying $5,785.37 or the person paying $1,785.37?

Disney is not naive enough to think NextGen will succeed on its own. That's why they'll continue to employ some of their recent favorites such as price increases and DVC. They'll also spend the minimum amount possible to convince the public that WDW is "new". Think of the budget-downsized "New" Fantasyland, Avatarland, and (probably) Carsland. These will be the carrots dangled in front of the unsuspecting public to convince them to come back to WDW and experience NextGen which, as already outlined, will allow Disney to maximize how much each person pays.

Returning to the second question: Will it work?

Disney thinks so.
I don't want to like this because it shows support for what they're doing, but it seems to be spot on. Next Gen seems to be a more effecient way of separating you from your money. My father would always joke that he hands over his wallet at the airport and asks, "How long can I stay?" Next Gen is giving you a definitive answer to that question.

One point of note - Expedition Everest did move the needle at DAK to the tune of around 1 million guests. Soarin had a similar effect in Epcot, but at Epcot attendance had been decreasing since the closing of classic attractions/9-11.

RSoxNo1

No need to mention that the whole post was great (there have been plenty of people recently mentioning how great your posts are... :)) but this paragraph stood out to me as it reminds me of something that has been in place for a number of years now: The Magic Your Way tickets. Those came into existence for exactly the same reasons you mention here: You have now the ability to "customise" your ticket to include park hopping, water parks and no expiration, but it is going to cost you.

And the interesting thing really is that WDW1974 mentioned in his other thread about George Kalogridis that he was a key person in implementing Magic Your Way at WDW. How fitting that it looks like he is going to return for the implementation of that program's successor. Makes me less optimistic about his possible new role.
I wouldnt' be surprised if Fastpass+ becomes a MYW component. They can even use this as a way to keep the base ticket price below $100.

Disneyhead'71

After DAK closes I like to head up to The Rialto area off of Sand Lake Rd. for some honest to God fine dining. Then again I like staying off property at either of the fine hotels at the Grande Lakes Resort.

Of curse that was before we moved to Orlando. Now we just go home.

Figments Friend

It doesn't take much to please me. I don't even eat at the table restaurants here at Disneyland. Quick service is just fine with me, though I've heard the quick service at WDW isn't all that great.

As far as park hopping goes, there's almost no doubt it would annoy me out there. I just can't see myself waiting to get on a bus, a monorail or even worse, a ferry, just to get to another park. I'm so used to everything being so close.

Ah yes...everything is indeed so close together in CA. WDW will seem like a whole other planet..a very big planet. :)

I also tend to eat at mostly counter service when need be in the Parks, and i will admit that i found the DL food better then the similar related WDW offerings.
The Columbia Harbor House however is a great quick service place at the Magic Kingdom.
Try it out....i think you will be pleased. Some nice options, and if you like seafood, all the better.

Bolna

I'd just go home.:)

Raven, I understand that you are local to Disneyland - have you ever done a vacation there? I think you would really do WDW a disservice if you would tour it the same way as you do at Disneyland. Before my first trip to WDW I had one trip to DL in the 90s and then several trips to DLP which is a similar setup to DL with regard to the proximity. Those were all short trips - focussing on the theme parks. The thing that blew me away on my first visit to WDW was how it is so much more than just the theme parks. If you have never been as a Disney fan I think you ought to take in things like the different resorts etc. Places like the Lodges (Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge) are beautifully themed hotels set in themed surroundings (something which the beautiful Grand Californian lacks). WDW was built as the Vacation Kingdom, there is a reason it is called a resort. Don't treat it as a place that only exists of the parks. Keep an open mind about park hopping. You might find that while it now does not sound appealing that it actually can fit into a vacation very well.

RSoxNo1

I was almost hit by someone swinging one at EPCOT30. To be fair, I think he wasn't even a blogger. But I just don't believe we need all this pro photog equipment in theme parks. ... And the iPads and iPhones and cameras in the air during shows and pyro and on Pirates boats makes me want to take them away and smash them on the ground. Experience your damn vacation, don't record the whole thing to experience at a later date. Morons.
Wasn't there an incident in Downtown Disney that became quite public a few years ago involving someone using pro photography equipment? I also know a friend of mine was brought into a dark room by Epcot SWAT for setting up a live webcam on a table in the park (it was his phone). They actually do crack down on this stuff to a certain extent but it seems arbitrary.

Bolna

I wouldnt' be surprised if Fastpass+ becomes a MYW component. They can even use this as a way to keep the base ticket price below $100.

Yes, I think the current terms on the new website seem to allude to that. I think they mention something about FP+ being connected to your MYW ticket. But aren't even the one day tickets MYW tickets as well?

I would more guess that FP+ is the reason why they think they can introduce those ticket price hikes @WDW1974 mentioned in a previous thread. I think he said to expect tickets to go through the barrier of 100 $ soon and that they might do it by way of bundling the ticket with something else - that something else might be the FP+ system.

Californian Elitist

Raven, I understand that you are local to Disneyland - have you ever done a vacation there? I think you would really do WDW a disservice if you would tour it the same way as you do at Disneyland. Before my first trip to WDW I had one trip to DL in the 90s and then several trips to DLP which is a similar setup to DL with regard to the proximity. Those were all short trips - focussing on the theme parks. The thing that blew me away on my first visit to WDW was how it is so much more than just the theme parks. If you have never been as a Disney fan I think you ought to take in things like the different resorts etc. Places like the Lodges (Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge) are beautifully themed hotels set in themed surroundings (something which the beautiful Grand Californian lacks). WDW was built as the Vacation Kingdom, there is a reason it is called a resort. Don't treat it as a place that only exists of the parks. Keep an open mind about park hopping. You might find that while it now does not sound appealing that it actually can fit into a vacation very well.

I was only kidding about the going home comment.

Yes, I've "vacationed" at Disneyland. My vacations are different, though. I go to Disneyland and other places. My idea of a vacation is different. I'm sure I'll still have a fun time if I don't park hop. I think I've read enough information here to figure out how I want to utilize my time and what I want to do. Thanks for the encouragement!:)

RSoxNo1

With NextGen, you'll get your wish. Eventually there will be no more EMH or traditional FP. Instead, you'll be able to use FP+ to book a limited number WDW experiences before you arrive. So far, most people report receiving 4 FP+ during trial runs. Furthermore, preliminary information suggests onsite guests will be able to book their FP+ before offsite guests.

FP+ demand for WDW's most popular attractions will far exceed supply. It will be interesting to learn how these "good" FP+ will be distributed. Since people will have to identify themselves before booking FP+, Disney will know exactly who everyone is and, theoretically, could use this information to decide which FP+ to offer people. Since NextGen is an integrated system combining demographic and purchasing data with hotel information, Disney will have tremendous control. For example:
  • Disney could offer more of the "good" FP+ to those staying at Deluxe Resorts.
  • Disney could offer more of the "good" FP+ to those who book cash experiences such as the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.
  • Disney could offer more of the "good" FP+ to those with a pattern of spending more in the theme parks.
  • Disney could offer more of the "good" FP+ to those whose middle name starts with the letter "P" or whatever other demographic they choose.;)
If some or all of these concern you, I'm more concerned if WDW decides to treat FP+ like ADRs. The last thing I want to see is a 180-day before arrival Internet free-for-all as onsite guests flood Disney's website to book the "good" FP+ before they're gone.

The executives running WDW are not out to make your vacation magical. They're out to make their year-end bonuses and stock options magical. They control FP+, not you. What do you think they will do?
One thing that has been finicky has been inputting your pass into the website (I've only tried APs, but not sure if it's any different for MYW). I suspect that scheduling is going to be much more cumbersome than it is navigating in park. I know for example that certain people in my group don't want Fastpasses for Expedition Everest, so previously we could get extra Fastpasses for other offerings back in the day when late returns were possible. This type of behavior is becoming more difficult.

What about Guest assistance passes? Will they work the same way or will they be integrated into your ticket. Will people have to hand over the ticket to someone else in the party? When it was just handing over paper Fastpasses this was far less of a concern. These are all minor issues but they are further adding to the complication.

RSoxNo1

FP+ is just an extension of ADRs and DDP. It has been hard to have a "spontaneous" vacation at WDW for over a decade now IMHO. I hate to say it, but if you can't beat em, join em. I will be booking my FP+ reservations the same time as my ADRs.
I'll probably be going to Disneyland or Universal Studios.

RSoxNo1

And when you tell them ways in which you'd like to give them your money, they don't even seem to care. They have it all figured out.

BTW, totally unconfirmed rumour (so take it as such as it is just into the Spirit cave this evening) is that a ticket media price hike is on the way in early '13.
You mean better merchandise, better food, and better attractions leads to higher guest satisfaction and higher guest satisfaction means higher guest spending? That seems like way too far fetched of a concept.

Also, re: ticket media. I'm curious as to whether or not I should buy what will likely be my final Premier Pass in 2 weeks, or wait until August. Based on what you said above it's probably good to buy it sooner.

RSoxNo1

Tchoup Chop is amazing. Had a phenomenal lunch there last week (think the highest price item was $16). Kona Cafe can't compete. It couldn't a decade ago when it was pretty damn good. But with UNI fine dining, you don't have to do this PS tango that you have to do with Disney.

My general rules on Disney dining are as such:
5.) Never ever eat a single thing in Tomorrowland!

Cream Cheese Pretzels...

RSoxNo1

We all know the reason the Yeti hasn't been fixed is that being the parks only headline "thrill" ride, they simply can't take the ride down for the extended time it would take to make the fix.
As for the broken effects in Dinosaur!. Well, there really is no excuse. They should simple be fixed. They could easily fix those with no down time at all. My guess is they just haven't gotten that magical critical number of complaints at Guest Services.
The fact that the park opened with two rides is not an excuse for not fixing the rides that are there now. That park should have had 3 more substantial rides at this point so that proper maintenance can be performed when needed. The fact that the Yeti is still broken is more laughable than the box office numbers of Mars Needs Moms.

RSoxNo1

Unless there is a "click this button and let us plan it for you" option which walks the purchaser through selecting the must have FPs and dining options. Probably for like $25 per guest or something like that.
On the Fastpass+ reservation menu there is an option where Disney selects all of your options for you.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I only ventured to the Emergacare today. I can't remember the last time I got the flu. I had forgotten how big a wimp I am when I get really sick. I even had the Flu Shot back in Oct.

It seems everyone getting the shot has it worse than those without nowadays. Every family member of mine who got the shot has contracted the full version weeks afterwards. The antibody supplement doesn't cause an all out contraction.

I have never in my long life gotten a flu shot. I doubt I ever will. ... Anyone I know who has, always gets sick anyway.

WDW1974

Original Poster
People will always complain when an attraction is down for maintenance, but I believe this is more of a function of not having enough to do when major attractions are taken offline. Tokyo, and to a lesser extent Disneyland almost always have an E-ticket offline, but the parks are so built up it can absorb the downtime.

Attraction maintenance is totally necessary but it also shouldn't be exclusive to last minute refurbs that are put off as long as possible (Read: Splash Mountain). Splash Mountain wouldn't have gotten to the point that it's at now if they shut it down at the same time Thunder Mountain was down last year. Instead they put a bandaid on it because they couldn't afford to have both Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain down at the same time.

New Fantasyland helps with this, but the park needs another E-ticket on the Adventureland/Frontierland side and a major overhaul to Tomorrowland to really absorb the necesary downtime in the current attraction lineup.

By underbuilding the parks proper maintenance is neglected and show quality declines. It's why there are tarps over Splash Mountain, Motionless rocks in Thunder Mountain, Motionless Yetis in Expedition Everest, Motionless Gangster cars in The Great Movie Ride, and Nets along the Tree of Life. It's the equivalent of changing the stereo system on a car that needs significant body work.

One attraction?!?! DL and TDL and DLP often have multiple E-Tix down at the same time for rehabs.
One January, not all that long ago, I was at DL and Mansion, Space, Splash and BTMRR were all down. ALL of them. At once and by schedule. And that was with 'only' DCA 1.0 to hop to.

WDW is based on a 'whole is greater than the sum of its parts' yet it has gotten to the point where WDW won't close more than one major attraction among FOUR parks at once. That's ridiculous.So, now TT is open, it's time for Splash Mountain to close (rest assured they won't do a damn thing about all the show quality issues that exist), but certainly nothing else of consequence can be down because that would be a disaster.

Think about that if you're a fanboi lathering up to the thought of a mythical fifth gate. Disney has four parks that not nearly complete experiences anymore because so much has been taken away (and not built to begin with).

And you've somehow let absurd expectations by entitlement mentality guests that demand everything is open for everyone's trips become the rule over SQS.

Funny how in the 70s and 80s, MK would regularly have multiple attractionw closed at the same time for routine upkeep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom