Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seriously... that letter is laden with so many direct jabs at what the company has become. It's not a barnburner.. but was pretty damn direct without calling out individuals. Just tad short of using words like 'toxic', 'broken', etc.

The terse announcement from WDI leadership is even more telling. Almost zero admiration or cushioning in that.

Really? That's all they have to say about a legacy walking away?

Sounds like 'we dont need you...' type of send off.

WDI's response was disgusting. Totally. And just what you'd expect from the type of people running it.

As to Tony's letter ... I could take so much out of ... from the in your face jab about NGE using 1984 and Orwellian in his opening (yes, he too realizes you don't spend billions on datamining and trip planning) to the people he didn't thank and left out ... notice no Marty Sklar, no John Lasseter, certainly no Tom Staggs or Bob Iger or Michael Eisner, none of the other portfolio leaders.

Also, the fact he is telling the younger Imagineers that they need to go through Bruce Vaughn if they want his help/advice is incredibly telling from a legal and status standpoint. I wonder if he's even getting to keep an office. I think it's very clear, he's getting nothing ... not even a WDI email address.

Seriously, if I were the man, I'd give Disney the biggest eff you I could. I'd get in with UNI and/or write the tell all book about what really happens at Disney and give them what they've got coming.

And to fanbois, if you think Tony will have much of anything to do with the company ... well, after readinq those two letters, I'm not sure he'll even be at D23.

He hates them. They hate him.

I've known this for quite a while. Now, it's there in public.

But hey ... Disney has MAGICBANDS ... and they're making new Star Wars movie. I really want to puke as a Disney fan.

ParentsOf4

The funny thing about the MagicBand is that there might be someone who thinks that could be a huge selling point. It is a nice operational feature. Save the hassle of fumbling for that room card/ticket. It seems most handy at a waterpark. Now they just have to convert the lockers to RFID and Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach could be hands free. They have done a poor job of explaining what the back end of the system is doing and what the bands are doing. But, that is what happens when you try to sell a system that is merely a massive operational infrastructure improvement project/data mining analytics system as a positive to the guest.
Plenty of "guests" will like MagicBands but, somewhat equally, it seems a lot of folks will dislike them as well. I suspect Disney had focus groups for them. The problem is that people in such groups tend to be biased to start. The reason why they agreed to volunteer is often because they want to be part of the "experiment" and also want to please. ("What did you think after wearing them all day?" How many truthfully will answer "They absolutely sucked!")

Beyond that, MagicBands drew a lot of attention to the "privacy" and "child safety" issues since they were featured in nearly all of the initial articles. If Disney simply started with RFID cards, would people have noticed? Then, later on, when they added MagicBands, Disney could have countered with "You've already been carrying RFID devices for years. This is just a better way to do what you've already been doing." However, since MM+ is all about customized service;) (also customized tracking) I suppose Disney didn't have much of a choice. They needed to start with MagicBands right from the get-go and to sell them as one of the three key parts of MM+.

Right now, MagicBands and those Mickey Mouse light-up balls are the physical embodiment of MM+. Nothing else about MM+ makes for a good ad photo. I guess that alone should have been enough of a reason to question MM+. If you can't have a lot of pretty pictures to sell it, how are you going to be able to sell it? TV ads for MM+ should be better, showing people quickly entering the parks, paying for services, customized experiences on attractions, etc. Seeing these things in motion (and all the smiling faces like every Disney ad) should "sell" MM+ better than still photos.

I recall @WDW1974 mentioning (I hope I remember correctly) they had to rush the MM+ announcement. Perhaps this was part of the problem; they simply weren't prepared? Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Maybe MagicBands would have had a mixed reception no matter what Disney did.

I'd like to think my position is clear on what I view as Disney's attempts to track us using RFID technology. It's dehumanizing and invasive to be treated like factory inventory or store merchandise and hope the entire initiative goes down in flames. However, I still think there is time for Disney to recover. I hope they botch that too but there are a lot of really smart people running this show. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Disney, stop treating me like Work-In-Process (WIP) to be optimized and start treating me like a human being.

the.dreamfinder

Only if Management were interested in supporting a 'horse race' and see who ultimately prevails. But what signs are there that the board/CEO have lost faith in WDI?
The whole it takes 100 Million + to build a simple dark ride/everything that they do that doesn't have lots of exec interest (e.g. DCA/CarsLand and Shanghai) is crap? Diagon Alley/Gringotts/Hogwarts Express will cost around 500 million and it'll be a whole lot better than FLE.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As to Tony's letter ... I could take so much out of ... from the in your face jab about NGE using 1984 and Orwellian in his opening (yes, he too realizes you don't spend billions on datamining and trip planning) to the people he didn't thank and left out ... notice no Marty Sklar, no John Lasseter, certainly no Tom Staggs or Bob Iger or Michael Eisner, none of the other portfolio leaders.

Great point - I glossed over that on the first read - but a great point. He focused almost purely on 'what was' with no optimism at all for 'what is'.. almost just leaving a lesson for those left behind as a sliver of hope. But it certainly read like a 'this is @%$ing broke.. good luck to those I leave behind'

flynnibus

Premium Member
The whole it takes 100 Million + to build a simple dark ride/everything that they do that doesn't have lots of exec interest (e.g. DCA/CarsLand and Shanghai) is crap? Diagon Alley/Gringotts/Hogwarts Express will cost around 500 million and it'll be a whole lot better than FLE.

Again.. it's not about your opinion of their effectiveness or performance - but if they have the support of Management.

Measurable success isn't typically a requirement of 'executive backing' . Usually 'embarrassment' is more reason to lose backing than someone else being more successful.

If someone is 'your guy' - they are going to back them all the way until it hurts them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I recall @WDW1974 mentioning (I hope I remember that correctly) they had to rush the MM+ announcement. Perhaps this was part of the problem; they simply weren't prepared? Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Maybe MagicBands would have had a mixed reception no matter what Disney did.

I'd like to think my position is clear on what I view as Disney's attempts to track us using RFID technology. It's dehumanizing and invasive to be treated like factory inventory or store merchandise and hope the entire initiative goes down in flames. However, I still think there is time for Disney to recover. I hope they botch that too but there are a lot of really smart people running this show. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Disney, stop treating me like WIP to be optimized and start treating me like a human being.

There was no official launch when Nick Franklin was trotted out for the public. While Disney has an internal schedule for this boondoggle, nothing is really set in stone. And Nick wasn't originally supposed to be in O-Town for that media (what do you call it? briefing? circus? fashion show?) 'event'.

heatherkatheleen

EMHs are being phased out entirely as part of MyMagic+.

No, it hasn't been officially announced beyond, but they have already started cutting them back and they intend on eliminating them entirely.
That's too bad :( I may be part of the minority, but I always really enjoyed EMH. I can understand scaling them back a bit because 2 or 3 am seems quite late for a park to be open, but I always enjoyed being there until around midnight.

HMF

While we are still using the Star Wars terminology, I think it is fair to call this the Great Imagineer Purge
just look at who WDI has lost over the past decade or so.
*Eddie Sotto
*Kirk Brothers
*Bruce Gordan
*Nina Rae Vaughn
*Tim Delaney
*Valerie Edwards
*Chris Merrit
Quite frankly, the only old school-type left is Tom Morris and if I were him I would be very worried.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Great point - I glossed over that on the first read - but a great point. He focused almost purely on 'what was' with no optimism at all for 'what is'.. almost just leaving a lesson for those left behind as a sliver of hope. But it certainly read like a 'this is @%$ing broke.. good luck to those I leave behind'

Sadly, that is what it was. There's some information that I just can't put out, but ... how do I put this?

Tony isn't one to just give up. He has Disney in his blood (the same BS that will be trotted out for George's return to the swamps). From talking to him over the years, I've gotten the idea that he was going to stick around until there was no hope.

Even after he was 'blamed' for Euro Disney (I sure would love to be blamed for a masterpiece!), even after he was given no budget and had his Tomorrowland concept gutted for DL, even after he spent the next six years doing almost nothing but blue sky and being told his input wasn't wanted or needed on DCA ... I think he always had hope.

First, it was through restructuring at WDI ... then it was Iger taking over the company ... then it was John Lasseter becoming an advisor to WDI ... there always was something to keep him going, keep him fighting the good fight.

I think there was always a belief in him that someone would come riding in on a white horse and change the culture and let him work on something meaty and important and, more so, let him help set the agenda for what WDI should be going forward.

Well, just like when dealing with a terminal illness, there comes a time when you just don't want to fight any longer.

Thankfully, Tony is alive and well. And if he isn't somehow contracturally bound to Disney, he just has to go over to UNI ... he has to. I think it's at the point where the only way you save WDI is by destroying it.

Genie of the Lamp

That's too bad :( I may be part of the minority, but I always really enjoyed EMH. I can understand scaling them back a bit because 2 or 3 am seems quite late for a park to be open, but I always enjoyed being there until around midnight.

Throw me in their as well. I loved evening EMH's as well and would take advantage of it whatever night the park had it. So while the little Timmy's and Susie's and parents were all tucked in their night beds, me and my other family and teenage friends would just go on a non stop 24/7 ride spree and barely have to wait in any long lines esp. in Frontierland.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Also, in corporate speak there is a world of difference between being a 'part time advisor' and a 'consultant' ... telling again what Tony is being referred to as.

I really need to find out what the legalese of this all is and if he is a free agent who could take a full-time offer elsewhere.

HMF

Even after he was 'blamed' for Euro Disney (I sure would love to be blamed for a masterpiece!), even after he was given no budget and had his Tomorrowland concept gutted for DL, even after he spent the next six years doing almost nothing but blue sky and being told his input wasn't wanted or needed on DCA ... I think he always had hope.

First, it was through restructuring at WDI ... then it was Iger taking over the company ... then it was John Lasseter becoming an advisor to WDI ... there always was something to keep him going, keep him fighting the good fight.
Would you say that any hope exists at all or is it a losing battle?

the.dreamfinder

I just want to throw this out there. After re-reading Tony's letter, which is quite epic, I found the mentoring section very interesting. I kinda felt a subtle sense of the pain that he must feel that he can't collaborate with the next generation and teach them the Disney way, much like his own mentorship under Claude. Tony's and the other old school imagineers have so much to teach my generation of creatives, but if it's not happening specifically at WDI, it will happen elsewhere.

And that brings me to this guy...
IMG_0111.jpg

That's Jeff Turley, he's an artist at Walt Disney Animation. He's worked on Tangled and was the art director on Paperman. Here's a sample of his work.
tumblr_lh4qeqIMfQ1qaat3qo1_500.png

It's worth mentioning that Jeff started out at Imagineering and left for the MAGICAL halls of the Roy E. Disney Building. So how does that make you feel about the future of WDI?

the.dreamfinder

While we are still using the Star Wars terminology, I think it is fair to call this the Great Imagineer Purge
just look at who WDI has lost over the past decade or so.
*Eddie Sotto
*Kirk Brothers
*Tim Delaney
*Valerie Edwards
*Chris Merrit
Quite frankly, the only old school-type left is Tom Morris and if I were him I would be very worried.
PIXAR HIRE THEM ALL!!!!!!!

SirLink

Wow!

I just need time to digest that. Anyone who thinks he is leaving on good terms really ought to get a tutor in reading comprehension.

Idiots are running the company. Truly.

Basically the last two paragraphs - basically states it is a poisonous well and calls out some employees that either have some talent which will never get anything green lit..or that they are slimey snakes which have not a creative bone in their body... can't decide which!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom