Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

HMF

Basically the last two paragraphs - basically states it is a poisonous well and calls out some employees that either have some talent which will never get anything green lit..or that they are slimey snakes which have not a creative bone in their body... can't decide which!
I think the former, seeing as to how he has worked on projects with them before.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Thankfully, Tony is alive and well. And if he isn't somehow contracturally bound to Disney, he just has to go over to UNI ... he has to.
You raise an interesting point, Spirit. Is Tony bound by some non-compete clause for the next few years, which is why he's doing the consultant thing rather than cut bait and run?

I think it's at the point where the only way you save WDI is by destroying it.

closedCar.jpg

:cool:

SirLink

Speaking of Talent(or lack thereof) at WDI, why does it employ all these people when - currently it seems to be little more than a project management house ... and the question is can it be fixed by a simple purge...or does it need a triple bypass operation to get it back up to working order...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also, in corporate speak there is a world of difference between being a 'part time advisor' and a 'consultant' ... telling again what Tony is being referred to as.

I really need to find out what the legalese of this all is and if he is a free agent who could take a full-time offer elsewhere.

Traditionally.. advisor is a term used for people riding out the tail of their contract. Still on the payroll, waiting for something to expire at which time they just disappear without a peep. There shoudln't be anything binding in the wording the used, but the terminology leads me to believe Disney still has hooks in him. Maybe waiting for some sizable options to vest?

disney fan 13

Thankfully, Tony is alive and well. And if he isn't somehow contracturally bound to Disney, he just has to go over to UNI ... he has to. I think it's at the point where the only way you save WDI is by destroying it.

'74, If Tony is allowed contractually to go over to other companies such as Uni (and Seaworld), what do you think the likelihood is that he will go that route?

RSoxNo1

Yep. Pretty much all of the above.

You have to ask yourself 'do I want to cover WDW and the O-Town theme park scene or do I just want the perks of someone who spews forth PR spin?'

I think it's pretty obvious which it is with this crowd. But it is a bit amazing that say Ricky Brigante got a gig with FOX that he could clearly translate into something bigger if he actually broke a story ... imagine if he got Tom Staggs one on one in a resort lobby and got the man to admit that things aren't going smoothly with MyMagic+ or simply something like 'we could have explained the program better ... it might have been smarter to launch it all at once instead of putting it out one little piece at a time while being secretive about what's to follow'.

But, again, I know nothing about media, PR and entertainment. Nothing. At. All.

My issue is just that. Don't act or pass yourself off as media when you're really a Lifestyler. Don't say you cover WDW because you take daily photo updates of theme park restrooms or the construction of a kiddie coaster. Just admit you have a hobby that you're trying to turn into a business and don't want to step on Mickey's feet.

If you 'cover' WDW and find out there was a shooting at their offices in Celebration, then you go over there to find out what happened. I will bet you NOT ONE person went over there when it happened. Not one. ... but construction walls at the GF DVC are worth attention.
At this point "breaking a story" is no longer the benefit it once was. I think true journalists respect it to a certain degree but the benefits in terms of breaking niche news like Disney content really is insignificant. As far as I know, my old site was the first one to put out the info on Jewels of the Seven Seas or Project Morpho, at this point though - does anybody care?

tracyandalex

Ok, I still have 2 more pages to go, but it's Friday afternoon and I might be too busy this weekend to write this and then I will be behind for 10 more pages again so here it goes! Here are my thoughts on the topics since my last post in no particular order:
  • Like others I fear there will not be a real opt out option with MM+ without diminishing the quality of my trip. Also, I am thinking the "opt out" will probably be something like by wearing this bracelet you are accepting all the terms and conditions of MM+ (insert previously mentioned 33 page rental car type contract which no one will read) and bam you have everyone agreeing to your data-mining without really knowing the consequences. Yes it is everyone's responsibility to read that 33 page document, but one also needs to be realistic about it. I would bet there is a reason that document is 33 pages, the company knows almost no one will actually read it. Also, anyone want to guess what would happen to the lines if everyone was required to read said document.
  • Somewhere it was mentioned that guests would be able to opt out of certain aspects of the privacy policy. How do I do this? What happens when you change your privacy policy, do I then have to opt out of a bunch of other things. Again, what happens to my park experience as I opt out of things? I will bet that Disney will be changing it's privacy policy as all of this stuff rolls out.
  • While I'm not freaking out too much about WDW having all this data on me, I am concerned about the broader implications of this type of "tracking" for lack of a better word. I know that Disney already has a TON of data on me, but now they are linking it all together and drawing conclusions about me as a customer that may or may not be correct. It all just seems like TMI for any company to have about a person and the tracking aspect makes it feel creepy (I know it's not exact GPS type tracking, but it seems to me after reading all these pages the it's close enough). While I don't imagine that a CM will be tracking me personally, one could if he/she were so inclined, that too is creepy. Also, where does this type of data collection and tracking end. Today it's WDW, tomorrow it's Walmart, then it's a whole city, etc. I feel/fear this is the beginning of a very slippery slope.
  • As a family that sleeps in even at WDW, I do like the idea of booking FPs in advance. There does however needs to some available to day guests and if I decide I'd rather use a FP on a ride instead of the M&G or parade I booked 6 months ago I shouldn't have to choose between the Tiki Room and Dumbo. Others have questioned this too, but what if it's raining and I run from the part or my FP ride is closed? I have heard that the Fps will be honored later in the as they are now, but also that info is relayed by word of mouth, not the CMs iPads so . . .
  • I see a nightmare for the poor front-line CMs that are stuck explaining this whole MM+ to the average guest. If we as better than your average bear guests can't understand it how does Disney imagine that the first timer or the once or twice a year person will? There needs to be a lot more explaining going on!
  • The push notifications/text messages would definitely be annoying, but would probably get us occasionally depending on what it was. Yes we are suckers! That being said, if something like this really catches on would the push notifications go the way of the car alarm and the spam email?
  • We probably will not actually wear the bands. I imagine they will be in our pockets until we need them. Having APs I'm hoping that I don't have to carry 3 wristbands in my purse at all times like I do our tickets. You never know when you might drive by WDW!
  • Iger's response letter was rude. It doesn't even really matter who he was responding to, it was just rude. Besides, the best way to make something like that go away is to just answer the questions showing you are doing everything right and your product is great. To me that is the best way to say "so there bit#$" And as a parent and frequent Disney customer Iger's response was off putting.
  • It seems to me that the powers that be do not really know exactly what they will be doing with all the Next Gen stuff and that is one of the reasons there are no real answers to any questions. This idea seems to only have been half baked.
  • Something that I didn't see anyone ask - If i have band and all of my info is on it, what happens when it's time to pay at TS restaurant? Do I hand my band to the very trustworthy CM? Does the CM bring me a tap thing to tap my band on? Do I still have to carry a card or cash for this? What about the tip, how do I add that?
  • Both myself and DH have not worn a watch for at least 8 years
  • We both like butter with our bread
  • Can MM+ be used to enhance my guest experience, probably. Will it in reality, probably not aside from the few FPs I can pre-book
  • I am glad that WDW did finally get a much need IT infrastructure update
  • Has anyone at Disney actually mentioned being able to find lost kids with the MagicBands?
  • I would find it a little creepy to be greeted by name by someone I didn't know. Also, someone very close to me adamantly does not acknowledge her birthday for very personal reasons and she probably would not be happy to have some stranger tell her happy birthday if she happened to be in a park on that day.
  • I would like to see Escape From Tomorrow
  • Do kids know the difference between the spontaneous magic some mentioned and the the magic the parents "buy" I doubt it. I know I still know the difference though.
  • Patty melt was great fun!
ok, I'm done for now. Have at it everyone!

awoogala

Labor costs. TDO said that not as many people were using the third hours (IE 2-3 AM at MK)
but they have drastically cut the off-season emh as well, which is not that late. Last time we went in January, emh were every day at some park. This time, almost none. A few mornings, a few evenings. Those "evening" emh's? None of them open past 9 or 10 pm.
Insanity. They don't lower the ticket prices, but still reduce the hours in january.

Yensid1974

You are asking me the right question at the wrong time.

As a CM at WDW I am very interested in this answer as well. I have time to wait for it too. My working at WDW is for very personal reasons, and where the company is going (while at times is fun re:SW/Marvel) is very nerve racking. I guess I'm looking for that glimmer of hope that Tony was holding out for. Is it out there?

Zac Skellington

I just want to throw this out there. After re-reading Tony's letter, which is quite epic, I found the mentoring section very interesting. I kinda felt a subtle sense of the pain that he must feel that he can't collaborate with the next generation and teach them the Disney way, much like his own mentorship under Claude. Tony's and the other old school imagineers have so much to teach my generation of creatives, but if it's not mention happen specifically at WDI, it will happen elsewhere.

And that brings me to this guy...
IMG_0111.jpg

That's Jeff Turley, he's an artist at Walt Disney Animation. He's worked on Tangled and was the art director on Paperman. Here's a sample of his work.
tumblr_lh4qeqIMfQ1qaat3qo1_500.png

It's worth mentioning that Jeff started out at Imagineering and left for the MAGICAL halls of the Roy E. Disney Building. So how does that make you feel about the future of WDI?

Let's not gloss over the young lady...

alissafalco

'74, If Tony is allowed contractually to go over to other companies such as Uni (and Seaworld), what do you think the likelihood is that he will go that route?

Yes, this ^^ Also, 74 do you think that Disney had him sign some kind of confidentiality agreement that would prevent him from writing a book or revealing anything?

dhall

You raise an interesting point, Spirit. Is Tony bound by some non-compete clause for the next few years, which is why he's doing the consultant thing rather than cut bait and run?

In the tech industry, California is widely known as a state where it is particularly difficult to make a non-compete stick, but being paid for the period during which the non-compete clause is in effect is one of the ways it is done. I assume that other creative industries in the southern part of the state work much the same way.

BlueSkyDriveBy

In the tech industry, California is widely known as a state where it is particularly difficult to make a non-compete stick, but being paid for the period during which the non-compete clause is in effect is one of the ways it is done. I assume that other creative industries in the southern part of the state work much the same way.
This is my thinking behind the part-time advisor role Tony supposedly now holds. Being offered a specific number of consulting hours in exchange for a non-compete would make sense.

If I were the one driving the Imagineering bus right now, I wouldn't want Tony showing up at UNI Creative just as USH is preparing for their own version of Potter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom