Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Rasvar

No......I'd last ten minutes in management. I'd never be able to stop pointing out the correct way of being in the hospitality business. My wife and I own a B&B on the Maine coast....although a bit cold right now, I wouldn't trade Maine for anything. I've got friends on the West Coast that have worked for WDAnimation and a few in marketing. None are there now....and they always chuckled when the word "creative" was thrown around.

I wouldn't be surprised that, with the tracking built into the system now, any deviation from the predetermined track without approval gets the driver reprimanded, even if it is a faster route. I think about a third of the routes are plotted out in pretty stupid ways. I think someone plotted a shortest route method for all the buses and not the most efficient route. That takes actual thought.

Rasvar

Sadly, I think the Congressional look will end up being little more than a temporary blip on the radar. Unless Congress intends to spend some time on this issue, there are some semi-truck sized loopholes for Disney to maneuver through on the bands. Short of banning geolocational tracking of children, which would mess the holy heck out of services that a lot of parents use to keep an eye on their kids, there are too many ways that Disney can use the information in an anonymous but still detailed manner. There may have to be an opt-in instead of an opt-out on things like personalization of items using the band. Disney will probably also sell it as a plus: "By accepting the tracking option, you will be able to locate any member of your party via smartphone, kiosk or web page at any time in the park." Some parents would sell their soul for this. I just think Disney has too many powerful allies on Capitol Hill for any damage to come and they will be able to spin the message back on track.

the.dreamfinder

Sadly, I think the Congressional look will end up being little more than a temporary blip on the radar. Unless Congress intends to spend some time on this issue, there are some semi-truck sized loopholes for Disney to maneuver through on the bands. Short of banning geolocational tracking of children, which would mess the holy heck out of services that a lot of parents use to keep an eye on their kids, there are too many ways that Disney can use the information in an anonymous but still detailed manner. There may have to be an opt-in instead of an opt-out on things like personalization of items using the band. Disney will probably also sell it as a plus: "By accepting the tracking option, you will be able to locate any member of your party via smartphone, kiosk or web page at any time in the park." Some parents would sell their soul for this. I just think Disney has too many powerful allies on Capitol Hill for any damage to come and they will be able to spin the message back on track.
While tracking CHILDREN certainly is an issue here, there are few if any loopholes available to Disney if they want to sell their data.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't see a need for a second or third look. You do.

When dealing with children? At WDW, a pedophile's dream factory? Yeah, I absolutely do. Have you even bothered to read COPPA? Do you know why it exists? Why was it amended last month?

I could equally ask "Why so eager to trash Disney at all cost, Spirit?", but you choose to be the way you are.

I'm not trashing anyone, Monty. You've got to stop looking at Disney like it's a person with feelings and not a media goliath that couldn't care less whether you live or die. The company doesn't love you no matter how many thousands of loonies you drop there each year. As my pal @flynnibus would likely say, you're just a bunch of numbers on the Grid. Disney just wants a pseudo-scientific way of changing those numbers in its favor.

Oh, but you are correct. I choose to be a critical thinker and not let blind emotion and a company's marketing MAGIC lead me.

The fact is Disney is proud of it, I happen to think that overall it is something they should be proud of. They've stated that their privacy policy will be maintained and honoured, that parents need only give whatever info they see fit to give and that none of the data will be used to market to children. The 4th Amendment doesn't apply and there is no boogey man here...

Yes, Disney is also proud of its wonderfully maintained attractions and its fairly priced restaurants and its state of the art transport system and have you seen those Tangled toilets. Phil could hardly hold it in.

You wish to believe a company's PR spin. I'm a bit savvier than that.

Rasvar

While tracking CHILDREN certainly is an issue here, there are few if any loopholes available to Disney if they want to sell their data.

I don't think Disney intends to sell their data. That stuff will be a proprietary goldmine. Sharing information internally in a company like Disney is easy to do depending on how they word the releases. The money from the data mining is to come from what they find out about the customers. I have never thought they were interested in selling the information.

TalkingHead

I'm so happy Disney didn't spend any of the $2 billion re-energizing the parks with exciting new attractions, because then I might feel compelled to visit their parks and deal with NextGen, FP+, and MagicBands.

I agree with Spirit -- if Uni marketing has a killer instinct, they could do some interesting counter-programming to this.

As it is, NextGen is making Disney's PR look more like the Lakers than the Clippers...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I called in sick today. AND we don't cover suicides. But for you I will start digging see what I can find.

Sorry you were sick. Those girls probably took good care of you, though!

As to the suicides, yes, I know. I was there when the CM threw himself off the roof of the Contemporary about a dozen years ago and landed on the beamway. That was the same weekend, the husband and wife had a fight after dinner at the Poly and he never made it back to the room at the GF ... but washed ashore 36 hours later. That was a fun weekend ... and both stories were reported. I have no info on this, but haven't put any questions out ... I believe it was at 210 CP.

the.dreamfinder

I don't think Disney intends to sell their data. That stuff will be a proprietary goldmine. Sharing information internally in a company like Disney is easy to do depending on how they word the releases. The money from the data mining is to come from what they find out about the customers. I have never thought they were interested in selling the information.
It's been noted before that if NextGen were to go Disney's way without issue, Sponsors would be lining up around the block. One could argue that doing that helped Rasulo and Franklin sell this to the BoD. Give sponsors a real reason to sponsor attractions, Disney dosen't pay for most of the development, construction, and maintenance costs because those sponsors are willing to pay for that data through attractions.

Belowthesurface

I say a lot of things when I'm drinking ... and even when I am not.

So, did I seem sincere? And did we meet again?

We did not meet again and I didn't know if it was sincere. Not a big deal, though. I like your source of information and the presentation.

In other words, it's your personality I'm after!

TalkingHead

If I were to compare NextGen and MyMagic+ to an existing product on the market, I would say that it most closely resembles the gadget that Progressive Insurance is peddling, which they claim will save you money on your car insurance if you let them monitor your driving habits.

I heard an NPR story the other day about a smartphone app that was available to people attending the presidential inauguration in DC on Monday. Ostensibly created to help keep people updated on events on Jan 21, the app has the potential to be used to datamine for political purposes, according to the story. Reminded me of some of the discussions I've seen on here.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/21/16992...-app-could-be-helping-mine-data-for-democrats

Rasvar

It's been noted before that if NextGen were to go Disney's way without issue, Sponsors would be lining up around the block. One could argue that doing that helped Rasulo and Franklin sell this to the BoD. Give sponsors a real reason to sponsor attractions, Disney dosen't pay for most of the development, construction, and maintenance costs because those sponsors are willing to pay for that data through attractions.

They can still do that pretty easy. All the data will be demographic coded. Drop all data obtained by a band with a customer under 18 years of age at time of collection. If they didn't have that already built into the coding, there were a lot of idiots in legal to let that through. They can also still take the data, strip it of all identifiers other than age and still sell that demographic information while still being in compliance. Aggregated data that is unidentifiable can still be used, based on my understanding of COPA.

Skyway

It's going to require a very masterful PR spin to get/keep MyMagic on track.

It was going to take that even before all these public questions of privacy arose.

Nearly a decade later, many guests still get creeped out about Disney collecting their "fingerprints" at the front gate. (Yes, it's biometric measurements, not fingerprints. But try clarifying that misconception to someone who has never seen or encountered one of those devices before)

But at least when people are done inserting their finger into the scanner, they're quickly distracted by the castle, the music, the characters, and all the other sights.

With these Magic Bands, visitors will have a constant reminder that they are tethered to a much bigger electronic network. Every time they look at their arm, wash their hands, rub on more sunscreen, enter a queue, make a purchase, or even sweat, they will be drawn out of the fantasy world and stop and think about that device.

Will it be perceived as a non-threatening friend that helps improve their vacation? Or will it feel like a handcuff, subconsciously making the visitor feel like they have been tagged or branded by Big Brother?

No matter how much or how little data Disney actually collects, it will require very delicate PR for them to make guests feel comfortable physically wearing a piece of plastic containing electronics on their bodies. It's not like a card that can be shoved in a wallet or purse and forgotten until its needed. It will be there as a constant reminder.

All it takes is for someone to perceive that they are being watched, and to give them that subtle and indescribable sense of unease, and any hope of building a relationship with the customer will be lost.

Rasvar

I swear the fact that people are not more concerned about this makes me fear for the future.

Heh. I've been concerned about this stuff for a while. It's like the grocery store loyalty cards or credit cards. I can choose to not use them but it make life a pain in the tuckas or more expensive. This is the next logical step in analytics. I don't think that Congress has the cojones to keep this from happening because they get too much money from the companies and most of the people are like sheep in this matter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom