Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Rasvar

It was going to take that even before all these public questions of privacy arose.

Nearly a decade later, many guests still get creeped out about Disney collecting their "fingerprints" at the front gate. (Yes, it's biometric measurements, not fingerprints. But try clarifying that misconception to someone who has never seen or encountered one of those devices before)

But at least when people are done inserting their finger into the scanner, they're quickly distracted by the castle, the music, the characters, and all the other sights.

With these Magic Bands, visitors will have a constant reminder that they are tethered to a much bigger electronic network. Every time they look at their arm, wash their hands, rub on more sunscreen, enter a queue, make a purchase, or even sweat, they will be drawn out of the fantasy world and stop and think about that device.

Will it be perceived as a non-threatening friend that helps improve their vacation? Or will it feel like a handcuff, subconsciously making the visitor feel like they have been tagged or branded by Big Brother?

No matter how much or how little data Disney actually collects, it will require very delicate PR for them to make guests feel comfortable physically wearing a piece of plastic containing electronics on their bodies. It's not like a card that can be shoved in a wallet or purse and forgotten until its needed. It will be there as a constant reminder.

All it takes is for someone to perceive that they are being watched, and to give them that subtle and indescribable sense of unease, and any hope of building a relationship with the customer will be lost.

Spin Spin Spin. People jump at grocery loyalty cards to get discounts on gas now. All you have to do is show they are getting something for using the technology and the sheeple will dive in head first. The biometric had no advantage to the guest (unless you were paranoid about handstamp ink). These bands can been spun so much they can make a whole coat of sugary goodness around it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Because I like Disney Signature Dining! Or Signature dining from 7 years ago.... Oh I enjoy restaurant row on Sand Lake. Rocco's Taco's & Tequila bar has some fantastic enchiladas, Melting Pot is great fondue for two, Mortons is amazing and heck, based on the lines everyone loves Cheesecake Factory at Millenia. (Even the Governor dines at Cheesecake Factory when he's in Orlando instead of going to a fancy meal at Disney, but I digress) But as a Tables-in-Wonderland card holder, I do enjoy dining at the Walt Disney World resort, especially when I have friends in town.

Alas.... Where do I start?

Okay, Yachtsman. High end, Signature Dining. Signature Restaurant of the Yacht Club Resort, Deluxe resort. Deluxe restaurant. Emphasis on HIGH END. SIGNATURE. IMO. Should be on par with Citricos and California Grill. Why did I want to go there? Great steak, was a good ambiance, had a dress code, generally few children. You know, SIGNATURE DINING. Quiet. Moody lighting. Elegant.

Absolutely first things first: The food was excellent and everything I expect from that restaurant. My issue was with the atmosphere and ambiance. Also, they now serve a Silver Oak Cabernet (07) by the glass which was damn yummy.

I get a restaurant full of slovenly dressed people, children and iPads. First, if you're going to have a dress code, enforce the damn thing. Myself and my date are dressed to the hilt because its a fancy restaurant and frankly I don't want to see your sloven appearance and lack of self respect at a fancy restaurant. T-Shirt and shorts are neither business casual nor acceptable. Disney says this up front yet allows it to continue.

Second, I get a restaurant full of children. I know Its Disney, Blah, blah, blah, I get that there's going to be children. But this is Signature Dining, not Chuck-e-cheese. Let them at least be seen and not heard. All Disney Resorts have a sitter program - if you can afford Signature dining, you can afford to pay someone to watch the kids while you have a nice meal with your spouse/significant other.

... which leads me to my last complain. iPads. I did not come to SIGNATURE DINING to hear a Disney movie blaring on an iPad from the table next to me to keep their child quiet. Look, you want to pull that crap at Ohanas or a character meal? Go right ahead, I expect that there. Its just not acceptable at this kind of restaurant. I came for a quiet, high end meal, NOT TO WATCH A MOVIE.

For $50 and entree, there's certain things I expect. This is not what Yachtsman used to be. It used to be high end and rather proper. Dress code, no kids, no electronics, one of the highest & best restaurants on Disney property. Now, it has the feel of Outback, in so much that all that matters is filling the seats at the tables. Just the money transaction seems to be all thats important.

All I ask is that they enforce the existing policies. I expect SIGNATURE DINING to be exactly that, SIGNATURE.
Alas, you may be right. I might be better of dropping my hard earned money on Sand Lake Drive then at the Walt Disney World Resort.

OK ... taking a break in the MyMagic+ talk to come back to @PhotoDave219 's experience above. The first thing I need to ask is have you talked to a manager there? Frankly, you should be comped the meal. Or invited back for a meal on the house and I'd be looking for it if I were you.

The food may have been excellent, but the experience sounds like hell and you're paying for it. I've been to Yachtsman many times, although not nearly as much as other signature locales, and never experienced what you did. The dress code issue is something they're aware of and have in name only in order to (hopefully in their minds) encourage rubes on the DDP to dress like you should. And while I hate the whole idea of iPads and electronics in locations, if they're going to allow them they should be with earbuds only. That is just an obvious thing and I would have had a very pointed exchange with management that I didn't come there to watch a Disney classic animated film on a brat's toy.

What you have described is why I allowed someone to steal (long story but she's good at it) my Tables in WOnderland card and not renew ... and why I very rarely dine at WDW signature locales anymore.

And the DDP is largely to blame because if you think most of WDW's guests would be the 'I'll buy a $48 steak a la carte' crowd if it didn't exist, then I'd say you need an eye exam!:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't have a problem with children at a high end restaurant. As long as the children behave and are respectful. I think enforcing the dress code plays a big part in how children behave. Kids are very perceptive, and most know that if they have to dress the part, they have to act the part. I can dress my kids up and take them to any restaurant that I want without fear that they would in anyway be less than perfect ladies. But they know that it is not only what is expected of them from me, but from every other person there.

By the way, you may encounter my kids at Morton's on Sand Lake as we go there fairly regularly (great Happy Hour). My oldest has Ballet class in that mall. If you haven't tried Christini's Ristorante Italiano in the same mall as Morton's it is to die for. One of the absolute best Italian restaurants I have ever been to.

http://www.christinis.com/home

Your kids, thankfully, are not typical. I wouldn't be afraid to have them anywhere because they don't like adults, they act like well mannered adults. ... As to Morton's, I need to try their happy hour deal near me. I've wanted to for quite some time and never done it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I say that while detatching my emotions from the company. I think he does have an eye for detail but it for whatever reason hasn't translated to WDW. I had a discussion about this with Eddie Sotto in his thread... Iger is good but limited. I think he respects Walt and Walt's ways while trying to make sure he moves forward without letting that hold the company back. Eddie made a good point that the successor for Iger should be a strong 1, 2... Perhaps a visionary and finance guy. My guess would be Staggs with Lasseter is the closest thing to this.

I think that Eddie, like everyone who has passed through 1401, is great at the political game (some better than others to be sure). I don't agree with his assessment of Iger though. I don't see any real reverence for the past or the Disney Legacy. What I see is a top Wall Street style manager who only gets passionate about technology.

Staggs would be a disaster for Disney and more of the same. And Lasseter has no desire to hold a position beyond what he currently does. He also wouldn't really be qualified for a top two position, although I could make an argument for him. ... But, either way, it won't be those guys running the company.

Rasvar

Because I like Disney Signature Dining! Or Signature dining from 7 years ago.... Oh I enjoy restaurant row on Sand Lake. Rocco's Taco's & Tequila bar has some fantastic enchiladas, Melting Pot is great fondue for two, Mortons is amazing and heck, based on the lines everyone loves Cheesecake Factory at Millenia. (Even the Governor dines at Cheesecake Factory when he's in Orlando instead of going to a fancy meal at Disney, but I digress) But as a Tables-in-Wonderland card holder, I do enjoy dining at the Walt Disney World resort, especially when I have friends in town.

Alas.... Where do I start?

Okay, Yachtsman. High end, Signature Dining. Signature Restaurant of the Yacht Club Resort, Deluxe resort. Deluxe restaurant. Emphasis on HIGH END. SIGNATURE. IMO. Should be on par with Citricos and California Grill. Why did I want to go there? Great steak, was a good ambiance, had a dress code, generally few children. You know, SIGNATURE DINING. Quiet. Moody lighting. Elegant.

Absolutely first things first: The food was excellent and everything I expect from that restaurant. My issue was with the atmosphere and ambiance. Also, they now serve a Silver Oak Cabernet (07) by the glass which was damn yummy.

I get a restaurant full of slovenly dressed people, children and iPads. First, if you're going to have a dress code, enforce the damn thing. Myself and my date are dressed to the hilt because its a fancy restaurant and frankly I don't want to see your sloven appearance and lack of self respect at a fancy restaurant. T-Shirt and shorts are neither business casual nor acceptable. Disney says this up front yet allows it to continue...

Alas, this in an epidemic in the age of Honey Booboo. I've done some recent cruises where even on formal/elegant night (note the downgrade on some lines) where the code is no longer strongly enforced. Either no manager has the power or the nerve to deny these people access. Just becoming a nation of Honey Booboos.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Um.....eeeeeew! I have been looking forward to your perspective on the film since Saturday, and this is what we get! Very disappointing:( We should be watching our for young people, not watching (insert creepy lurker emoticon here) them.

I wanted to respond to this @pixargal before it got lost in a much more important topic. I don't have a perspective on the film because I haven't seen it. But I definitely want to. And I suspect I will at some point. If you were wondering whether I thought Disney would some how bury it, I doubt it. It's the talk of Sundance and that genie can't be stuffed back in the bottle.

That said, there is nothing wrong with looking (not leering) at young people (or old people or any people). We are social and sexual beings. When someone attractive walks past me at a pool, I look. Whether they are 15, 26, 41 or 67. It doesn't matter. Hell, it doesn't matter whether they are female or male. I look. I admire and move on. There's nothing unhealthy about it. Or creepy about it (yes, that film scene may have been, but it was supposed to be). I don't know of one male who doesn't check out most everyone who walks by...

It's like when some little tween has way too short shorts on with 'Juicy' written across her . I look. And if that makes me a dirty old Spirit, then what does it make her parents that let her go out wearing clothes that are designed to draw one's attention to her young assets?

MarkTwain

Dug ... this hurt so much. when you look at WDW ... four neglected parks ... rotting infrastructure ... a monorail system running on chewing gum and duct tape ... 1972-era parades ...

And billions of dollars being wasted.

What's amusing is that Staggs still thinks he has a chance to replace Iger. That's almost as funny as The Big Bang Theory.

Wasn't this initiative hatched under Rasulo's reign? I seem to remember discussion here about how Staggs would have to inherit and figure out how to execute the NextGen project when he took over for Rasulo.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not joking. That's the extent of what I know.

ETA: Someone from "Local 6" responded to me on Twitter saying it was a suicide...

That's very sad, Tom. ... I still haven't heard any details, but was busy all day and been occupied with this thread and watching some good TV tonight. ... And I still need to do something ... oh, yeah, DCL shore excursions!

But I wonder what happened. Tragic whenever someone feels there's no way out and takes matters into their own hands.

PhotoDave219

OK ... taking a break in the MyMagic+ talk to come back to @PhotoDave219 's experience above. The first thing I need to ask is have you talked to a manager there? Frankly, you should be comped the meal. Or invited back for a meal on the house and I'd be looking for it if I were you.

The food may have been excellent, but the experience sounds like hell and you're paying for it. I've been to Yachtsman many times, although not nearly as much as other signature locales, and never experienced what you did. The dress code issue is something they're aware of and have in name only in order to (hopefully in their minds) encourage rubes on the DDP to dress like you should. And while I hate the whole idea of iPads and electronics in locations, if they're going to allow them they should be with earbuds only. That is just an obvious thing and I would have had a very pointed exchange with management that I didn't come there to watch a Disney classic animated film on a brat's toy.

What you have described is why I allowed someone to steal (long story but she's good at it) my Tables in WOnderland card and not renew ... and why I very rarely dine at WDW signature locales anymore.

And the DDP is largely to blame because if you think most of WDW's guests would be the 'I'll buy a $48 steak a la carte' crowd if it didn't exist, then I'd say you need an eye exam!:D

Oh exactly. I totally get where you're coming from. I was trying to make the best of a bad situation at Yachtsman.

It didn't used to be this way. I have a Disney Dining Experience card still in my wallet (lord knows why) that expired in 2007. I know the way Signature Dining used to be and my experience was pretty bloody far from it.

On the flip side, got a last minute ADR at Whispering Canyon tonight. Far better time. Food was good & what I expected, atmosphere was what I wanted. the guests were oddly better dressed than the guests at Yachtsman. I came for the pony races and the skillet.

Alas YES I will be wondering if i need to renew my TiW card.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One of the most important questions to me is 1.b.:

This one question really is about whether "opting out" is a real option - or more like "the freedom to sleep under the bridges of Paris".

That's just the point.

When this thing (if, maybe), this system is fully implemented, I don't see any way of 'opting out'. You either 'opt in' or, very likely, you don't visit WDW.

I truly believe and have stated over and over that the entire 'opt in' language is simply kneejerk legalese to try and calm a growing storm. No one has either asked or, certainly, no one from Disney has explained just how people will be able to not 'opt in' while still experiencing everything WDW has to offer.

It really seems like either the Mouse datamine you and your family or go elsewhere. Why can't they simply be honest and upfront about it and then see what the courts say about that?

PhotoDave219

Alas, this in an epidemic in the age of Honey Booboo. I've done some recent cruises where even on formal/elegant night (note the downgrade on some lines) where the code is no longer strongly enforced. Either no manager has the power or the nerve to deny these people access. Just becoming a nation of Honey Booboos.

That is a very accurate description of what I'm experiencing.

So I'm a local. Everyone knows that. I actually like the food at the higher end resorts. I actually want to eat there. So once a month i try to eat somewhere fancy or nice on property and get dressed up.

Figure my party will drop on average of $100-150 between the two of us. (depends on wine, appetizers, etc). Thats going to be 1000-1200 per year for my group on nice meals. Now do you that $1000 spread out over a year? Or do you cater to the dining plan guy who isn't giving you any cash whatsoever?

My solution? Enforce the policies on the books. Dress code & no electronics.

My compromise? High end, Signature dining becomes 3 or 4 entitlement credits.

If you can afford to pay the bill at Yachtsman, you can afford a sitter for your kid and you can afford nice clothes to wear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom