Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

yoyoflamingo

You are you saying that Burbank is clueless?

Or can we put all the blame on TDO who we KNOW to be clueless.

I think anyone who was involved with this from the get go, whether it be TDO or Iger himself, should take some blame about being out of touch. I'm sure there are execs who saw the potential problems and know it will fail, but it seems they were overlooked to the execs who said, "this will make a lot of money" without realizing what they were unleashing.

ParentsOf4

But they could cause changes that severely limit how it is implemented. I'd guess Disney would be pushed to make them out of fear of a public backlash and godawful PR blackeyes.

In other words, I see MyMagic+ going forward no matter what. But in the form Disney has planned? That's the (two?) billion dollar question.
My guess too.

MyMagic+ will still happen but it might have just taken a bit of a detour. At the very least, let's hope Disney finally answers some of the many questions we have about MyMagic+.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't see how they could. People give far more private information to Facebook everyday then Disney will be collecting with this system and the government hasn't shut down Facebook yet.

See, that's it ... 'people' ... a broad pile of diversity. Not the under-12 set.

The dynamic element of MyMagic+, the pot of gold, forecloses on parental consent. The holy grail of datamining has been getting as much info on future spenders as possible -- folks, that means YOUR KIDS. Unless Facebook and Google have altered course, both officially, do not engage the 12-and-under crowd. WDW, these days, is all about that crowd.

Disney believes that it has built an unbreachable bond of MAGICal trust between the BRAND and its consumers. NEXT GEN was sold on the idea that if any company could subvert COPPA and datamine the untouchable consumer -- AGAIN, YOUR CHILDREN! -- it was Disney.

Not so fast says Congressman Markey. Not so fast say a large group in the fan community. As others have posted, among the many questions posed by Rep. Markey in his letter to Bob, aren't there a lot of things we'd like answered?

You know, if you look closely at that letter while Brooks Barnes' story in the NY Times is used to frame the inquiry, much of the substance of what is in there comes directly from things we've discussed in this very thread. Also, to the doubters out there, have y'all noticed that nobody has challenged the sweeping scope of the technology being adapted for MyMagic+ (and we know there are lots of techies on this site who would love to deconstruct the Spirit and his sources, who forced Disney's hand in Nick Franklin's frazzled day of 'It's here, we're here, but we're not nearly ready'' rollout of MyMagic+).

Goofyernmost

It's not about politics and it's not about government, it's about Walt Disney World. If Rep. Markey sent his letter to Google or Facebook, discussing it might be inappropriate for this site. Since it's about perhaps the most controversial change in WDW's history, it very much is appropriate for this site (IMHO).
First...this is a change in procedure. They've been tracking your butts for decades. They just found a new way to do it that is really less invasive because now you don't have to answer a bunch of foolish question. They can, of course, now know where you specifically are in the parks but I fail to see why that is a problem. Please enlighten me. They have also been watching your every move with cameras for years. I see no difference.

It looks to me like Disney just wasted 2 billion dollars. Just think what they COULD have done with that money.

I don't know why this bothers me but the number is 1.5 billion, not 2 billion. If anyone does not know the difference between the two, it's 500 million dollars! I would hate to see your check book register if you round up like that all the time.

And secondly, that money would never have gotten to the theme parks no matter how much you might wish it. Most would probably have gone to mid-year executive bonuses.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I think anyone who was involved with this from the get go, whether it be TDO or Iger himself, should take some blame about being out of touch. I'm sure there are execs who saw the potential problems and know it will fail, but it seems they were overlooked to the execs who said, "this will make a lot of money" without realizing what they were unleashing.

It seems nowadays, that if you're riding the Disney bus, and you mention to the driver that there's a traffic jam ahead and you should try a different route, you get booted off the bus.

Lee

Adventurer
It's going to require a very masterful PR spin to get/keep MyMagic on track.

Many people are now going to be hearing about it for the first time, and in a potentially negative light.

Now, rather than being the ones to introduce the public to its wonderful new program, Disney is on the defensive. Hard to promote and defend something simultaneously.

I could see it being put on hold for a while, retooled, maybe even renamed. Give it a fresh, non-threatening start. The stink of a congressional inquiry won't be easy (if even possible) to wash off.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
First...this is a change in procedure. They've been tracking your butts for decades. They just found a new way to do it that is really less invasive because now you don't have to answer a bunch of foolish question. They can, of course, now know where you specifically are in the parks but I fail to see why that is a problem. Please enlighten me. They have also been watching your every move with cameras for years. I see no difference.

I don't know why this bothers me but the number is 1.5 billion, not 2 billion. If anyone does not know the difference between the two, it's 500 million dollars! I would hate to see your check book register if you round up like that all the time.

And secondly, that money would never have gotten to the theme parks no matter how much you might wish it. Most would probably have gone to mid-year executive bonuses.
I write a check for 1.5 billion then enter it in my check register for 2 billion. I do that all year, then at the end of the year I have quite a yearly bonus.

What's not to like about that?

WDW1974

Original Poster
The "regular" folks out there are going to end up asking themselves, "do I want to visit a place that just spent 2 billion on bracelets, or someplace that just spent 2 billion on rides?" The media field day has only just begun. And we know that SW and Uni are going to exploit this to the max.

All I can say to that is who wouldn't?

This is handing a golden opportunity to your competition. All they have to do is pick up the fumble and run!

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
It's going to require a very masterful PR spin to get/keep MyMagic on track.

Many people are now going to be hearing about it for the first time, and in a potentially negative light.

Now, rather than being the ones to introduce the public to its wonderful new program, Disney is on the defensive. Hard to promote and defend something simultaneously.

I could see it being put on hold for a while, retooled, maybe even renamed. Give it a fresh, non-threatening start. The stink of a congressional inquiry won't be easy (if even possible) to wash off.

A retooling, while using some of the "convenience" aspects of the program, may be just what the whole thing needs. I'd still love the entry to the parks/room and charging aspects, of the MagicBand. Of course, it's a boatload of money to just unlock your door and get you into a theme park.

Goofyernmost

I write a check for 1.5 billion then enter it in my check register for 2 billion. I do that all year, then at the end of the year I have quite a yearly bonus.

What's not to like about that?
Good point. No wonder I'm always broke. I usually write checks for 1.5 billion and only record 1 billion because I like smaller numbers (apparently). I do get a lot of interesting mail from the bank at times.:)

mgf

This seems so poorly thought out from inception to failed roll out that a conspiracy-minded person might wonder if it was internal sabotage. John Carter redux?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This seems so poorly thought out from inception to failed role out that a conspiracy-minded person might wonder if it was internal sabotage. John Carter redux?
Gee, it's not like there are any conspiracy-minded *cough* Spirits anywhere around here... :rolleyes:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
See, that's it ... 'people' ... a broad pile of diversity. Not the under-12 set.

The dynamic element of MyMagic+, the pot of gold, forecloses on parental consent. The holy grail of datamining has been getting as much info on future spenders as possible -- folks, that means YOUR KIDS. Unless Facebook and Google have altered course, both officially, do not engage the 12-and-under crowd. WDW, these days, is all about that crowd.

Disney believes that it has built an unbreachable bond of MAGICal trust between the BRAND and its consumers. NEXT GEN was sold on the idea that if any company could subvert COPPA and datamine the untouchable consumer -- AGAIN, YOUR CHILDREN! -- it was Disney.

Not so fast says Congressman Markey. Not so fast say a large group in the fan community. As others have posted, among the many questions posed by Rep. Markey in his letter to Bob, aren't there a lot of things we'd like answered?

You know, if you look closely at that letter while Brooks Barnes' story in the NY Times is used to frame the inquiry, much of the substance of what is in there comes directly from things we've discussed in this very thread. Also, to the doubters out there, have y'all noticed that nobody has challenged the sweeping scope of the technology being adapted for MyMagic+ (and we know there are lots of techies on this site who would love to deconstruct the Spirit and his sources, who forced Disney's hand in Nick Franklin's frazzled day of 'It's here, we're here, but we're not nearly ready'' rollout of MyMagic+).

Good points, I may have been to hasty in my original response.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom