Speculation of outbreak of Norwalk Virus at WDW?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
People get Norwalk virus infection by swallowing food or water that has been contaminated with stool from an infected person. Outbreaks in the United States are often linked to eating raw shellfish, especially oysters and clams. Shellfish become contaminated via stool from sick food handlers or from raw sewage dumped overboard by recreational and/or commercial boaters. Contaminated water, ice, eggs, salad ingredients, and ready-to-eat foods are other sources of infection.

How can Norwalk virus be prevented?

• Wash hands with soap and warm water after toilet visits and before preparing or eating food.
  • Cook all shellfish thoroughly before eating.
  • Wash raw vegetables before eating.
  • Dispose of sewage in a sanitary manner.
  • Food handlers with symptoms of Norwalk-like illness should not prepare or touch food.

What are the signs and symptoms of Norwalk virus infection?

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach cramps
  • Severe illness or hospitalization is uncommon. Infected persons usually recover in 2 to 3 days without serious or long-term health effects.
Based on the above, those who fell ill and recovered in 24-36 hours likely didn't get exposed to Norwalk virus.

Disneyson 1

Looks like they're going to have to get all Disney Cruise on guests (anybody who's been on DCL knows what I'm talking about with the constant hand-washing).

earldw28

Original Poster
I am all set ma...can I go on Space Mountain now?

SuperStock_1555R-147002.jpg

Hilarious!! :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow, myself anf hubby and five kids leae tomorrow on a 12 day trip. Now I wonder if we need to be worried?????
No. You do not need to be worried. This is not confirmed as Norwalk virus only suspected to be by a writer for a Disney fan site whose medical training might not exceed a basic first aid course. More than likely "Norwalk virus" was selected due to buzz surrounding it and nothing more than anecdotal evidence. "A bunch of people are sick....Must be the Norwalk virus". A few years ago it would have been e-coli. We just as well might be looking at a case of food poisoning or any one of a million intestinal bugs.

Wash your hands properly before you eat use some purell and you will more than likely be just fine.

XS-Spence

Maybe it's to kick off the new "What will You Celebrate?" thing. Come to WDW and lose 10lbs! Then celebrate your loss with dinner at Boma! (Includes coupon for 1 free snack-option sized 10oz Dasani Water to keep you hydrated)

Enderikari

Yeah, they're dropping like flies out there...
:rolleyes:

*new favorite thread*

Ok Survivors. Remember to bring plenty of Ammo and MedPacks for your next trip.

I'll try and lead the group through the Infected area.
:lookaroun

Remember to cover everyone, avoid getting surrounded and for god sakes, DON'T WAKE UP THE WITCH.

:wave:

Duckberg

NORWALK Virus

Have WDW park officials raised
any concerns regarding NV :veryconfu?

This is just what WDW does NOT
need with the coming 2009 Economy!

Duckberg :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Have WDW park officials raised
any concerns regarding NV :veryconfu?

This is just what WDW does NOT
need with the coming 2009 Economy!

Duckberg :D
If they have it is not being reported by the media. Because there is no media coverage I would say it is pretty safe to assume that they have not. So far the only person who has suggested "Norwalk" was a contributor on the disboards who is more than likely no more qualified to diagnose the condition than any random person you could pull off the street.

But be patient. I am sure someone form the Slantanal will pick up on this thread or the original post from the disbords and will run a full page story on the bubonic plague killing millions at WDW.:rolleyes:

Gig 'Em Mickey

Yes I was a victim of this one week ago. I don't think it was Norwalk though due to how quickly I recovered. Just a stomach bug. But having a pregnant wife helped. She had brought along her Zofrin (Anti-nausea) and I took a couple those. Stopped the puking at least. Still felt like garbage, but at least I wasn't puking.

Sounds similar to what we came down with, when we were there the beginning of Dec. The day we left some girl puked all over Capt Cook's floor, I figured it was too much to eat or something like that, maybe not:lookaroun

Senderella

People get Norwalk virus infection by swallowing food or water that has been contaminated with stool from an infected person. Outbreaks in the United States are often linked to eating raw shellfish, especially oysters and clams. Shellfish become contaminated via stool from sick food handlers or from raw sewage dumped overboard by recreational and/or commercial boaters. Contaminated water, ice, eggs, salad ingredients, and ready-to-eat foods are other sources of infection.

This is what concerns me. A single person (and their family) can be as vigilant as possible but someone preparing your food can slip up or someone else that hasn't been as careful at the same buffet and that's that.

LOL Between the Bad News Bears threads and this, I'm super worried about our trip next week!!! This is going to be the last trip for a little while (about a year) plus we're taking first timers so I really hope all goes smoothly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom