Speculation - MK Welcome Show to end

skimbob

We don't have an opening show at DL. I don't think it would be a huge loss for me personally if WDW were to drop it. Just my opinion.

IMFearless

I think the number of first time guests is far higher at WDW.

For me the demographic feels different at Disneyland.

The whole build up is not there at Disneyland.. WDW has the gradual transition from the outside world, the ferry/monorail and the opening show is the icing on the cake.

For me Disneyland feels out of place, as if the resort fell from the sky and landed on someone's town - I realise the town grew around it, but for all those reasons I don't think it is quite the same.

I still love it, but it is definitely a different animal.

Monorail_Red_77

And think. All of the Emporium will be open so people can spend, spend, spend before rope drop. Don't think they haven't thought of that.

Don't get me started on the butchering of the Emporium. Sometime in May they rearranged the entire Emporium complex by character. This makes it very frustrating when trying to find things like Hats, Toys, etc.
For example, you can't say to your kid "Let's go look in the toy section." Now it is sort of sorted by character. They now have a Star Wars area, Minnie area and so on. But, If you are looking the Star Wars area you will also find Minnie stuff. I guess not so sectioned off after all.

In theory this all makes since until you actually go and try to find something. Hats for example are no longer offered in Emporium. They used to have a wall of hats all different types. That is gone now. If you want to look at a variety of hats you have to go the the Chappeau behind the confectionary on Mainstreet. However, upon our arrival the selection is very disappointing. Thankfully you can still get a nice variety of hats in World of Disney at Disney Springs or Mouse Gears in EPCOT.

I did a test after our trip to find a random hat. I tried to find a mad hatter hat on the Disney shops app and it showed it only in the gift shop near Winnie the pooh and at world of Disney.

My point is that it seems like the Welcome Show is just the latest victim of this non-sense. True there were complaints of the same stuff in all of the shops. But to me you used to be able to always count on your large park shops to have everything at least. Not so much anymore.

Next thing you know they are gonna get rid of the Disney Dollar. Oppps too late! They have already done that too.

Sometimes change is a good thing. In this case I think its a bad thing. So now not only will you have to plan your rides out 60 days in advance. You'll have to plan out what you will buy at each merch shop cause they likely will not have what you want there.

Spoke to a CM and they said that this has been decided and is not being changed. I guess they are hearing a lot of flak over this too. I made sure to voice my opinion to one of the CM's at the hat shop that selection was not good. Falling on deaf ears I know.

## Rant Over

brb1006

I think the number of first time guests is far higher at WDW.

For me the demographic feels different at Disneyland.

The whole build up is not there at Disneyland.. WDW has the gradual transition from the outside world, the ferry/monorail and the opening show is the icing on the cake.

For me Disneyland feels out of place, as if the resort fell from the sky and landed on someone's town - I realise the town grew around it, but for all those reasons I don't think it is quite the same.

I still love it, but it is definitely a different animal.
Don't forget WDW is more "Wow Factor" focused

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
They did it at the train station before opening main street when I was there 2 week's ago.

Edit: I saw this bumped thread before the announcement. Just Ignore my post

Last edited:

wogwog

Here is the Guest Relations version posted today. 12/26/16. @wdwmagic

With more Guests arriving early at Magic Kingdom park, we’re enhancing the morning arrival experience by opening up Main Street, U.S.A. earlier than the rest of the park and are also debuting a new Welcome Show on the Cinderella Castle Forecourt Stage.

Starting January 9, Guests will be able to get a head start on their day as they enjoy the early morning charm of Main Street, U.S.A. with photo opportunities, breakfast offerings and shopping before the park’s official opening time.

In addition, a Royal Herald and a few familiar friends from the Magic Kingdom will help officially open the park in a new Welcome Show, with plenty of spacious viewing throughout the Central Plaza. As a result, the current Welcome Show on the train station platform will have its final performance on January 8.

FAQs (for reactive use only):

Why will Main Street, U.S.A. open early?
We want to give Guests the opportunity to get a head start on their day by giving them access to breakfast offerings, shopping opportunities and the ability to capture photos on Main Street, U.S.A. while they wait for the park to open.

What offerings will be available on Main Street, U.S.A. when it opens early?
Guests will have access to a variety of offerings, including the Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks Coffee.

Why is the Welcome Show ending?
Because Guests will now wait for the park to open on Main Street, U.S.A., a new Welcome Show will debut on the Cinderella Castle Forecourt Stage. The new show will have plenty of spacious viewing throughout the Central Plaza area.

Will Main Street, U.S.A. also open early on Extra Magic Hour mornings?
Yes. Guests staying in a Walt Disney World Resort hotel may enjoy Extra Magic Hours offerings as they do today, and all Guests with valid park admission will have access to Main Street, U.S.A. earlier than standard park operating hours.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

Could this also be related to the Railroad refurb that's scheduled?
I didn't see it mentioned, but I didn't read thru all 7 pages either.

Kman101

I've said my peace in the other thread, I'm open to the change, but will miss the current version. I do like the ability to explore Main Street again before park opening, I always find myself simply rushing by everything (though it's a tad less unique than it used to be) and not really able to enjoy it because of the constant crowds, so that will be a nice change I suppose.

Cesar R M

Here is the Guest Relations version posted today. 12/26/16. @wdwmagic

With more Guests arriving early at Magic Kingdom park, we’re enhancing the morning arrival experience by opening up Main Street, U.S.A. earlier than the rest of the park and are also debuting a new Welcome Show on the Cinderella Castle Forecourt Stage.

Starting January 9, Guests will be able to get a head start on their day as they enjoy the early morning charm of Main Street, U.S.A. with photo opportunities, breakfast offerings and shopping before the park’s official opening time.

In addition, a Royal Herald and a few familiar friends from the Magic Kingdom will help officially open the park in a new Welcome Show, with plenty of spacious viewing throughout the Central Plaza. As a result, the current Welcome Show on the train station platform will have its final performance on January 8.

FAQs (for reactive use only):

Why will Main Street, U.S.A. open early?
We want to give Guests the opportunity to get a head start on their day by giving them access to breakfast offerings, shopping opportunities and the ability to capture photos on Main Street, U.S.A. while they wait for the park to open.

What offerings will be available on Main Street, U.S.A. when it opens early?
Guests will have access to a variety of offerings, including the Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks Coffee.

Why is the Welcome Show ending?
Because Guests will now wait for the park to open on Main Street, U.S.A., a new Welcome Show will debut on the Cinderella Castle Forecourt Stage. The new show will have plenty of spacious viewing throughout the Central Plaza area.

Will Main Street, U.S.A. also open early on Extra Magic Hour mornings?
Yes. Guests staying in a Walt Disney World Resort hotel may enjoy Extra Magic Hours offerings as they do today, and all Guests with valid park admission will have access to Main Street, U.S.A. earlier than standard park operating hours.
I only read "more shop, more money opportunities for us" :hilarious:
"enhance our wallets"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom