Specific SSE Music

oovwee

Original Poster
I had always assumed the SSE music was specifically written for it. We are re-watching Cosmos and I caught that one piece of music they use is a dead ringer for the backward descent music on SSE. I believe it still is there, but is now barely heard over the 'design your own future name'. So I have a challenge to put out there. What is this piece's name? I have always thought it was hauntingly beautiful and would love to have a full version, if such a thing exists.

SirNim

"The Sea Named Solaris" by Isao Tomita from his album "Kosmos." It's pretty close... not quite the same as the Edo Guidotti SE descent score, but clearly an inspiration (and itself based on an earlier piece by Bach, the Sinfonia 02 in C Minor BWV 788).

p.s. for the record, after learning this piece of trivia several years ago, I have now amassed a nearly-complete collection of Tomita recordings and highly recommend "Snowflakes are Dancing" (his debut) for light winter and holidaytime listening.

SirNim

No problem! In case anyone's interested, here's a link to one of my other favorite tracks of his: youtube(dot)com/watch?v=THq2QSUw3k8 .... definitely campy, airy, ambient, and retro, and yet oh so atmospheric at the same time. :)

Oh, and p.p.s. for the otakus out there... Tomita 'collaborated' with vocaloid Hatsune Miku on a concert last year in Tokyo. "Symphony Ihatov" is available as a live concert album, or you can search youtube for clips from Tower Records Japan's live stream of the performance.

Last edited:

Bairstow

What about the "Renaissance" music used (in various instrumentations) in the last version of Spaceship Earth?
Is the motif also from Bach?

SirNim

What about the "Renaissance" music used (in various instrumentations) in the last version of Spaceship Earth?
Is the motif also from Bach?
I guess it's open to interpretation. Here's a recording of the Bach piece that was Tomita's influence for "The Sea Named Solaris" -

The Renaissance theme you posted is definitely a different theme, motif, whatever you want to call it, from the descent. I would love to know if it was indeed based on a specific composition by Bach (or any classical composer) or if it's just an original riff "offaBach" (you stay off of my Bach and I'll stay off of your Bach!) BWV 788 by Guidotti. I just searched around for more information and it seems there really isn't a definitive answer floating around. It'd be great to try to "Shazam" the SE music, but unfortunately it doesn't come up with a match. :(

The Empress Lilly

I think a fair deal of the love for old EPCOT Center is based on its music. And why not, like movies, much of the emotional connection happens not through what you see, but through what you hear. It's all so grand and involving and inspirational!

Magic Journeys is still unbearable to hear, Horizons rips straight through your heart, Oh Canada and Golden Dreams are still magnificent, even in their new versions.

"Listen and you'll hear the heartbeat of a universe teeming with force..." :geek:

Bairstow

Personally, I like the new version of Golden Dreams better than the old one.
The part near the end where the orchestra drops out and it's just the choir is awesome.

Figments Friend

Oh...To own all 986 loops....*drools*

"Collect em' all, kids..!"
:)

Hey..this can be the new 'must have collectible' from Disney Marketing....
Forget the Trading Pins, forget that Vinylmation crap.
I can see it now ......

-------------------------

NEW from the Walt Disney Archives..!

Introducing :
"The EPCOllection"
Now the Walt Disney Archives makes available for the first time ever a special collectors' series of original Park music recordings.
Embark on a musical journey through EPCOT Center's past and present in this exciting new music series!
Epic musical soundtracks and scores from all the attractions past and present, PLUS queue areas, common areas, and even the Sponsor Lounges!

Each month, a new compilation of tracks will be released.
Marvel in the variety and scope...and relive all your favorite moments!
Collect all 986 different loops and store them in the Limited Edition 'Spaceship Earth' Collectors Case!

Buy all 986 tracks at once for one price and take home the exclusive 'Horizons' shaped Collectors Case as well as the 'Spaceship Earth' version, both FREE with the Ultimate Bundle offer!

Act NOW and we will include a special BONUS TRACK of the Imagination Pavilion Restroom Loop...a fan favorite !

Hurry....quantities are limited!

Gotta Catch Em' All...!

---------------------------

Don't laugh....i know a lot of you out there would buy em' all and probably be standing in line right behind me.

:p

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Personally, I like the new version of Golden Dreams better than the old one.
The part near the end where the orchestra drops out and it's just the choir is awesome.

Agree. I do like the remake quite a bit.
Also like the little 'pause' there after the choir bit...really adds some impact.

I don't think i have ever sat and watched a showing of 'The American Adventure' ( and i have lost count how many times/years it has been...) without bawling my eyes out at the end when that song kicks in with the film.
Always leaves me soggy...but man i so love it.
Such a great musical moment, among many in that show.

'The American Adventure' is just plain awesome in itself...the finale song is just the perfect topper.

Omnispace

Pre 94 EPCOT Center music was so awe inspiring.

Trivia: 986 separate audio loops were recorded just for opening day. Not including Horizons, Seas or life.

I love listening to the individual music loops, especially for such attractions as Horizons. Each one is like a small gem that captures a particular feeling or emotion -- very much like the score of a movie. I have always enjoyed the Innoventions "theme", especially the more atmospheric portions of it. Sometimes such aural sounds can create an almost surreal setting.

Bairstow

Did anyone ever produce a good recording of Bruce Broughton's "Ellens Energy Adventure" score?
The bits during the dam and space segments are especially nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom