Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

The Empress Lilly

Does anybody miss the Network Operations scene, right before 180top? Yeah...me neither...

Its funny, because everybody has a specific area or part of a scene that has been altered, but the one scene that was completely removed, nobody ever mentions. Looking at it, today, it just looks so hilariously 1970s view of what the 2000s will look like. Im totally fine with gogo boot comp-sci girl in its its place.
I miss it.

SSE to me is a product of 82. I don't need to have it redone to make it look like it was built yesterday anymore than I need to have the effects of Star Wars digitised to make it look like it was a 2018 movie.

The final effect is always an uneasy midway compromise, and the art is stripped of its authenticity. And, the unity between content and form, between concept and execution is lost.

Comparable to a 1930's New York art deco skyscraper with the lobby replaced for a 2010's entrance. The style and wow are lost for something you can see everywhere else.

Bender123

I miss it.

SSE to me is a product of 82. I don't need to have it redone to make it look like it was built yesterday anymore than I need to have the effects of Star Wars digitised to make it look like it was a 2018 movie.

The final effect is always an uneasy midway compromise, and the art is stripped of its authenticity. And, the unity between content and form, between concept and execution is lost.

Comparable to a 1930's New York art deco skyscraper with the lobby replaced for a 2010's entrance. The style and wow are lost for something you can see everywhere else.

While I see your point, its "edutainment" aspect actually was better maintained with the mainframe and personal computer scenes. That "future" view just didn't make sense when the future already ran out ahead. Overall, imho, it was a positive change for the theme of the ride.

wedway6482

While I see your point, its "edutainment" aspect actually was better maintained with the mainframe and personal computer scenes

I agree with you on the addition of the two new scenes, I just wish they would have saved room for the inclusion of a modern era control room. Think SpaceX. Have it lead into 180top from the garage. That would have strengthened the transition to "space" and provided a bookend to a new space station scene (again, modern era) leaving 180top. Wouldn't have helped their very poorly executed descent, but would have perhaps provided more content at the climax of the attraction.

AJDMB05

A "recap" of the ride via offride projections. Tomorrow’s Child re recorded (much like O'Canada! was)
Holy moly, I've been sad about what SSE's ending turned into for 10 years now and this just took it to a new level of sadness. I really hope they nail the next revision of this ride. Keep the screens, just let me look at something other than a silly flash movie and black curtains. Bring back the city skyline, or the SSE model.

rreading

There is a version five coming in the next half decade or so if things don’t slip. It’s still hopefully looking Omnimover based. We'll see.

One of those posts that "like"ing doesn't really express my feelings. At least by that point, my younger child would be ~14; perhaps he wouldn't be distressed to see the Omnimover gone. But (I suspect like so many of us) I feel that SSE is one of the last (along with LWTL) of the truly edutainment experiences of EPCOT and it's still a ride twice experience for him at 9 even though we're there at least once a year. I worry very much about the quality of an extreme overhaul.

HMFan999

I've lost so many hours to this thread, but it was so amazingly worth it. Just to recap, years later. The satellites and astronauts were removed in the 94 rehab. At least one of the astronauts was likely used over in SM for the Fed-Ex post show scene. The satellites have never been seen again. The space station piece with the window is still there, but painted black. The AA crane/arm operator is still inside... waiting... watching... Do I have that all right?

Haymarket2008

There is a version five coming in the next half decade or so if things don’t slip. It’s still hopefully looking Omnimover based. We'll see.

Wow, interesting. Thanks for the info. You're saying that there could be a version of Spaceship Earth without the omnimover? Or would it be an entirely different theme not concerning mankind's history of communication?

montyz81

Version 2 of Imagination was Omnimover based, and we saw how that turned out. Hopefully SSE will retain it's AA story telling nature since really it is about the only Omnimover based ride left (in EC) where AA's play a significant part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom