Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

I didn`t create the site (towerofterror.org) but I did help with a lot of the artwork initially and the videos.

it's a small world :lol: - I`m in Sale Moor. Near Northenden and Norris.

Well nice to meet you marni1971 :wave: its a small world after all (sorry :lol:). Nice to see somebody local to me on the boards, especially with so much knowledge on all things Disney. Have seen your posts for some time now and always been impressed with the info you share.

Cheers Hooters Dude

PS Any chance you're a Red?

Epcotrob

WOW...... this thread has passed the 500 posts mark. Thats impressive to me. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for sharing what they knew and for all the information I have learned about one of my favorite rides in the world. :wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Soooo.. we`re getting there. I`m still working on the video; unless anyone can host - or point me to somwhere that can - a 300mb vid I`ll be putting it at www.mousebits.com - or I can try to split into parts for YouSendIt. Just don`t mention YouTube! I`ll have spare time towards the end of the week to finish it hopefully, and also do some final descent layouts now I`ve found a useful bit of art.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Notes:

The lazer as you enter the Communications Tunnel (just prior to the 180 top) is back on. Haven't seen that one in ages. I got video of it I might try to upload.

The classroom scene is still doing the weird floor reflection thing, so maybe they did just clean it or something. I dunno. Got video of it too, but it's very dark and hard to see. The angles give you a very good idea of how the vehicle go down into the core though, since my camera was on my mini tri-pod and firmly stuck to the front of the vehicle (thus it tilts with the vehicle, verus most videos you see stay level as the viewers head normally does).

Work is rampingf up in the post show, as protrusions are starting to stick out into the common areas, like ceiling parts and such, and you can see that it's a lot of work in there. Also, the exit areas are getting reformed and skinned and such. Outside, they've cut away all the bushes and plants from around the side of the building that faces tipboard and were working on the lights, so that the building now has nice blue lighting on it from that side.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
merf; please do upload the video clips; particularly the laser and the classroom.

Sorry Hooters Dude; I hate football (the reference to a red; he means a Manchester United supporter) - and for all you yanks it`s football as in `soccer` :D I played Rugby Union at school for 6 years so became a convert. The jaw has never been the same since...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks, Merf. That ones new to me! Kind of gives the impression Siemens are carefully going through the building bit by bit. Let`s hope they don`t stop at 180top!

beanboon

Great pictures in album 2!! I have some comments:

IMG_3800_pepper2.jpg

You can see what are probably original ceiling tiles in this picture. Maybe they are all original, but you can see original un-repainted ceiling tiles where the black paint has fallen off after 25 years up there. You can also see such tiles above the chicken wire but you need a flashlight.

IMG_3801diorama_pepper1.jpg

More old ceiling tiles.

IMG_3799_spin_fx_thingy.jpg

I've seen them spin too, they're just really slow. The ride stopped right by them once, that's the only way I could tell that they were spinning.

By the way, if you're ever in a ride stop in the descent core it is amazing to look up and see the stars move against the static core ceiling. It really feels like you're moving against the stars.

IMG_3798_82gobo.jpg

I believe this is a black light and still operational. It's just before the neighborhood scenes (you can see the long speakers where the track flattens out).

IMG_3791_sat_1_stair_11.jpg

The mounts I put up pictures of are just below this picture, however they look too small to support anything really. The mount for F-61 (small capsule?) would be below this new deck if it's still around. I imagine it would be a trip hazard if the deck wasn't placed over it.

IMG_3789_news_screen_descent_start_pre_core.jpg

Anybody see anything interesting on the right side of the stairway?

IMG_3787sharp_140ft_rails.jpg

You can see the top of the Genie lift here (it's the highest object in the picture). The hatch is directly above.

IMG_3742laser.jpg

You can see one of the three vents in the ceiling (that's not the hatch). It's odd that the platform above would stick out like it does here.

IMG_3754early_ancestors.jpg

I believe this curtain hides a door into the maintenance area. If you were to go through this door and across the maint. room you would come across another door that opens into the city of the future scene. That door would be to your right just as the fiber fields really start to go crazy.

I love the Star Trek crinkle paper on the walls too.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
If said spinning lights you're talking about are the ones after the classroom and clouds...then yes, they do spin, but they move at, so far as I can tell, nearly the same speed as the ride vehicles so you never really notice. Every time I've been up in the ride with lights on and been in that area I have seen them working.

More things to say later, I've got to get myself to sleep!
i wonder how they spin... i know that is an open end question. do the vertical poles spin and the horizontal peices rotate in place or around the box like a clock. the reason i ask, the horizontal peices dont look like they could rotate 360 around since the other vertical poles would be in the way. so how do they spin?

Notes:

The lazer as you enter the Communications Tunnel (just prior to the 180 top) is back on. Haven't seen that one in ages. I got video of it I might try to upload.

Work is rampingf up in the post show, as protrusions are starting to stick out into the common areas, like ceiling parts and such, and you can see that it's a lot of work in there. Also, the exit areas are getting reformed and skinned and such. Outside, they've cut away all the bushes and plants from around the side of the building that faces tipboard and were working on the lights, so that the building now has nice blue lighting on it from that side.
were is this laser located... on the entrance side of the communication tunnel or on the 180 top side.... possible in it?

merf; please do upload the video clips; particularly the laser and the classroom.

Sorry Hooters Dude; I hate football (the reference to a red; he means a Manchester United supporter) - and for all you yanks it`s football as in `soccer` :D I played Rugby Union at school for 6 years so became a convert. The jaw has never been the same since...
football (europe style) is nothing but a bunch of injury fakers. phantom kicks and a guy is laying on the ground holding his shin like it was snapped in two. the worst is Soccer in the states.... ahhhh, it is torture.

Laser at the tunnel - who knew this thing still worked?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDm7H0wcis
hmmm, see question above. oh, and thanks for the post

Thanks, Merf. That ones new to me! Kind of gives the impression Siemens are carefully going through the building bit by bit. Let`s hope they don`t stop at 180top!
im really hoping that a space type theme comes back.... but i guess that is, well, totally 80's.

:D

cloudboy

Great pictures in album 2!! I have some comments:

IMG_3800_pepper2.jpg

You can see what are probably original ceiling tiles in this picture. Maybe they are all original, but you can see original un-repainted ceiling tiles where the black paint has fallen off after 25 years up there. You can also see such tiles above the chicken wire but you need a flashlight.

What's with the caps and gowns?

TheBeatles

I need help understanding this thread! Its compeling, but I can't read through 35 pages. Can anyone give me a synopsis of what is going on?

disneywy

What's with the caps and gowns?

I believe that is the view up to the left as you ride down and see the "graduation scene" on the right. It is between the classroom and 'fiber optic city' (with the mom t__________g her kid into bed and archeological dig).

LOL, the blanked out word is T-U-C-K-I-N-G. I guess you can't put your kids in bed on this board. When I first posted that response, it blanked it out, hehe.

ToTBellHop

I believe that is the view up to the left as you ride down and see the "graduation scene" on the right. It is between the classroom and 'fiber optic city' (with the mom t__________g her kid into bed and archeological dig).

LOL, the blanked out word is T-U-C-K-I-N-G. I guess you can't put your kids in bed on this board. When I first posted that response, it blanked it out, hehe.
why is "tuck-ing" censored?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I need help understanding this thread! Its compeling, but I can't read through 35 pages. Can anyone give me a synopsis of what is going on?
in a nutshell, the 180/top part of SSE changed on the 94 rehab. there was 2 satelites... a girl in the cone, and some other features that have changed since. in the 94 rhab, some of those features have changed as well since then.

we are tyring to figure out exactly were those components where by old photos and videos.

a side project was the hatch and lift system to the roof.

that is it in a nutshell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom