Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Captain Hank

ahhh, some CM must have met his other fellow CM for a make-out session and..... wait, i just gave away the coolest place for a secret rondevu.

no seriuosly, i wonder how current is that merchandise/cup design so we could see how long it has been up there. it would be great if it was a few years old.
It looks like the 100 years of magic design. (I only know that because we had a stockpile of them in the breakroom for a while) It would be tough to pin down when the cup was put there, as outdated designs are frequently used backstage.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
It looks like the 100 years of magic design. (I only know that because we had a stockpile of them in the breakroom for a while) It would be tough to pin down when the cup was put there, as outdated designs are frequently used backstage.
yeh, i guess you are right..... any stories on the rande vu point? :lol:

Thelazer

From the looks of it, the laser is mounted on a support arm much larger than it needs to be. It looks, god rather poorly rigged as well (this from a theater person who knows these things.) Shame, shame. It was a decent effect, granted it could have been better. A hazer instead of the water misters... and using a higher power laser unit with more colors, sad... well that's why I'm not in WDI I guess.

I dare say, something was mounted where the laser is.. something rather large and heavy.

BTW the pipe on the wall to the left of the last remaining satilite most likely had a blacklight or other lighting fixture mounted on it.

I suggest next time, someone goes on the ride with a blinding bright flashlight and video camara light. In fact, I say we get about 30 of us, to go on. Take up a whole section of cars late at night... and then let the light fly!!!

Katya

On a side note, I'll be going in to work today from 9-3. I'll see if I can't glean any new information for you all, although tomorrow is the more likely day for me to discover things. And if anyone is deciding to stop by, I'll be the one that looks just generally too tired to be there and wearing the nametag that says Becky. ;)

Thelazer

The spinny FX things are very simple. At the end of each point was a small light, all this unit would do is slowly spin around. In the darkness it creates a "Starfeild" effect, and the "Stars" are seen to slowly move the area. Nothing fancy.

Most likely the lamp is burnt out (I belive each point is a really a string of fiber optic able)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Right... 33 pages and going strong!

Regarding the cup; it`s obviously been placed there. I did think it was sloppy, but there again who knows the circumstances? A passing CM, rushing out with the "Attention SSE, ride will start immiediately" PA spiel screaming at them may have quickly picked it up off the `ocean` of the city model in a hurry. Perhaps with their arms alreasy full. There again maybe it was just break time!

Vernonpush; best guess at the moment is the I-Beam used to support the larger satellite. Looking at the `94 additions, the news screen has a lot of similar cables and pullies supporting it - though the in-use cables are taught, not loose like these. Where was the `94 2nd newscreen position anyone? Perhaps these cables were from that?

The Lazer; I agree - a water mister is a strange choice to make the laser visible. I think it was chosen over a hazer / smoke machine since it was controlable; it would stay where it was meant to / drift down. Any smoke based effect would surely have drifted (mostly up) with the heat and air coming up the core from the lower levels, and misted the planetarium. Worst still, it could have created a cloud infront of the earth projectors, showing a visible projection beam. I guess the cheap and quick-fix looking fan is evident they had problems controlling it anyhow. There again, with all the dust I`m surprised they needed any extra help seeing the laser :D

As for what was on the laser mount originally, I`ve updated the core composite with satellite to include the red strips. It`s in album #2. Perhaps the mount was part of this scenery support? Some parts look added on, but some look like they are part of the original railings. BTW; there`s a few more laser pics in album 2.

Katya; have fun! Can you ask around to see if anyone knows where the doors / ride spur is to get the cars to maintainence / the elevator? We mentioned it could be right after the city model, but that`s the area with the drinks cup - look at album 2, photo 3082 city model. You can see the `ocean` extends out along the side, and that seems to be the door to the elvator in the background, with no way of moving a ride vehicle across to it. Perhaps it is under the dawn of time projection screens on the ascent?

beachclubbasics

Great photos!!!!

I was telling my kids about the possibility of some remains from the satellite and the AA girl still being in place on SSE and they claim that they will now feel as if they are "being watched' lol and will be looking for all of these things when we ride upteenth times in August. I'll have to show them these great pics inside of the ride.

My husband and I were brats when we were there in 87 and took a few flash photos (no one else was on the ride near us..late at night near closing) at the top when we had gotten stuck (I think that they were boarding someone from a wheelchair) and I remember seeing all of the supports for the astronauts, satellites, etc, and thinking "There goes the magic"..lol. I wish that I still had those pics! I wish that that scene was still there..told my kids on their first trip in 2005 what a wonderful scene it was and when we got to the top it wasn't there! What's there now is disappointing to those of us who loved the show that it replaced. BTW, I don't remember ever seeing the AA girl at the window.

Here's a couple of questions that are off topic: are there solid floors that run the length of the track in SSE that could be walked on in an emergency? Is it safe to walk up there?

When my daughter and I jumped on the ride after our Dolphin Discovery (great tour BTW!) there was a young fellow (who has, at 12:15 PM already too much to drink) who kept jumping out of his car and taking pictures with animatronics. Must have happened at least 3-4 times. We were wondering how safe that was.....

Also, are there survellience cameras in the ride? If I rememeber correctly, there was an announcement that played a couple of times about remaining seated while we were on the ride, but nothing more happend to the hyperactive rider in front of us....could they see him getting out of the car?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My husband and I were brats when we were there in 87 and took a few flash photos...
If you ever come across those photos you`ll have a new friend for life :D

The floors are solid to walk on, though mass evacs have designated routes and walkways/stairs off the show scenes. However, I wouldn`t say it`s safe to jump out anywhere, on any ride. Apart from the obvious stupidity of doing so, and the risk to millions of dollars of technology and scenery, the SSE rise system is best described as being on a Matterhorn-style track. You sit in the ride vehicle, which itself sits on a chassis. This chassis is mounted on a similar-in-style-to-a-rollercoaster wheel mechanism having 4 sets of wheels, one in each corner. Each wheel set has 5 individual wheels ontop, below and at the side of the rail. Then the rails themselves are supported above the actual building floor level. This adds up to a good 4-5 ft from your feet to the structural floor. On average. The show scenes are also elevated in places, to be at the same height as the ride vehicle, but much like a train at a station there is a gap between the two - varying in distance. It dosn`t take much to think of the consequences of becoming trapped between the two. Best case severe cuts or a broken ankle. Worst case, the idiot is still there when the ride system restarts. And that`s 151 ride vehicles (or 154 depending what yor read with maintainence vehicles) moving on 1552ft of track - that can't E-Stop on a dime.

As for CCTV, it`s certainly been enhanced and made publically known in recent years, but I dare say it has always been there. Plus, these rides generally have intrusion systems (IR beams, pressure mats) but I dare say it`s off the scope of this thread to go into detail.

Figment82

The spinning fiber optic light fx still works in today's version - if we're indeed talking about the same thing. I've seen them spinning - right before the pepper's ghost projections and the city of tomorrow.

Gringrinngghost

Would it have been possible for a CM to appear...

If you ever come across those photos you`ll have a new friend for life :D

The floors are solid to walk on, though mass evacs have designated routes and walkways/stairs off the show scenes. However, I wouldn`t say it`s safe to jump out anywhere, on any ride. Apart from the obvious stupidity of doing so, and the risk to millions of dollars of technology and scenery, the SSE rise system is best described as being on a Matterhorn-style track. You sit in the ride vehicle, which itself sits on a chassis. This chassis is mounted on a similar-in-style-to-a-rollercoaster wheel mechanism having 4 sets of wheels, one in each corner. Each wheel set has 5 individual wheels ontop, below and at the side of the rail. Then the rails themselves are supported above the actual building floor level. This adds up to a good 4-5 ft from your feet to the structural floor. On average. The show scenes are also elevated in places, to be at the same height as the ride vehicle, but much like a train at a station there is a gap between the two - varying in distance. It dosn`t take much to think of the consequences of becoming trapped between the two. Best case severe cuts or a broken ankle. Worst case, the idiot is still there when the ride system restarts. And that`s 151 ride vehicles (or 154 depending what yor read with maintainence vehicles) moving on 1552ft of track - that can't E-Stop on a dime.

As for CCTV, it`s certainly been enhanced and made publically known in recent years, but I dare say it has always been there. Plus, these rides generally have intrusion systems (IR beams, pressure mats) but I dare say it`s off the scope of this thread to go into detail.

(OOPS!!!, just realized that my son is signed on here...this is beachclubbasics..lol)

and grab this idiot off of the ride? I remember reading something about an accident on the TTA...someone tried to jump between cars where the returnng cars meet up with those just departing and was killed. The SSE track has been so bumpy every time we've been on that it feels as if it's going to fall apart, I'd be scared to even attempt to climb out and try to hug an AA. It almost feels like there isn't a solid floor there..I'd be scared to fall 65 feet (ala Horizons Omni theatres) I remember that this guy seemed to have an affinity for the Greek and Roman AAs. However, my kids would like to get off and make Michaelangelo paint a diferent portion of the Sistene Chapel for once! lol

I'm going to look for my pics tomorrow, but I fear they got lost with many others when we moved after DH passed away .

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The CM's at SSE cannot "see" people in the ride. The new screen telling you to behave is a bluff, because there is no position which monitors the ride. The CM's you see when you load and unload are the only ones working it, aside from whoever else may be in the various floors of the building on breaks, etc.

The closest things SSE ever had to a position which monitored guests on the ride was a position in the New Global Neighborhood called "Edit" whose job it was to remove obscene/offensive images from being presented on the Network Tree.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Spinning Lights -

They do work, sometimes. As mentioned, they rotate slowly and it creates a sort of starfield effect. They work i'd say 50/50.

mayoki

Original Poster
Great Photos, Amazing to see SSE "exposed" like that.

I also love that the "Legend of the Cup" has been born...Where did it come from? Who left it? How old is it? who will be the first to use it in an avatar? Yes, more burning questions...

Maybe the "Cup" will one day reach the status of the great and powerful "Ladder"

Some fantastic photo's featured here. I really love threads like this, they're the reason I've surfed the boards for the last couple of years. By the way marni1971 are you the guy who created the twighlight zone tower of terror site with the maps, photo's and video's etc? If so, my hats off to you it's fantastic! Also if you don't mind me asking, what part of Manchester are you from? I'm from Baguley in Manchester (but don't hold that against me :lol: )

Anyway thanks for everyones contributions, brilliant!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Some fantastic photo's featured here. I really love threads like this, they're the reason I've surfed the boards for the last couple of years. By the way marni1971 are you the guy who created the twighlight zone tower of terror site with the maps, photo's and video's etc? If so, my hats off to you it's fantastic! Also if you don't mind me asking, what part of Manchester are you from? I'm from Baguley in Manchester (but don't hold that against me :lol: )

Anyway thanks for everyones contributions, brilliant!
I didn`t create the site (towerofterror.org) but I did help with a lot of the artwork initially and the videos.

it's a small world :lol: - I`m in Sale Moor. Near Northenden and Norris.

Epcotrob

I ride SSE at least 10 times a week. I have never noticed the spinning lights working. I guess I need to pay more attention. I love the lightning effect in the area of the Spinning lights. Mabye im looking for the lightning too much and just have failed to see the spinners? Well I will have to pay attention on Mon and Tue when I ride.

Figment82

The spinning lights is a very subtle effect. I never noticed it until I saw it with the lights on - even then it took me a moment to realize what it was.

Katya

If said spinning lights you're talking about are the ones after the classroom and clouds...then yes, they do spin, but they move at, so far as I can tell, nearly the same speed as the ride vehicles so you never really notice. Every time I've been up in the ride with lights on and been in that area I have seen them working.

More things to say later, I've got to get myself to sleep!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom