Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Captain Hank

Hmmmm, the structure in the upper-left corner of Marni's picture is most definately The Land. The red structure of the atirum is visible, as is the white dome of the Tropics greenhouse behind and to the right of it.

In jasondiff's picture, World Showcase lagoon and the monorail loop are visible, meaninig that the open hatch points more-or-less in the direction of the monorail station and bus parking lots.

Putting these two together, the hatch seems to have been constructed from part of the triangle that appears directly behind the assorted coolers and lunchboxes in Marni's photo.

*whew*

TinkerBell9988

This thread is INCREDIBLE!

Here's the funny thing... about three years ago, I went on SE at night, and for some reason, when the backwards descent began (around the news screen), I decided to turn around and look backwards (for what reason, I really don't know). Because it was at night, my eyes were already adjusted to the dark. I saw the capsule painted black and begged my mom to turn around to see what I had noticed. Not only was it easy to see because our eyes were adjusted, but the light projected onto the virtual classroom screen was bouncing back on the capsule, making it even easier to see.

I noticed that the black paint was a little faded, it looked like it had been painted at least 10 years ago and needed a refresher. My mom has been going to EPCOT since its opening in '82, so I asked her if she remembered there being a spaceship or space capsule at the end of the attraction, and she did. She also said that there were "spacemen working on some sort of satellite and I think an AA was in the thing thats painted black."

After that trip, I was fascinated with the mystery of the black capsule and the old descent portion of the attraction. I scoured the internet and old EPCOT books to find information, but nothing came up. (Remember, this was three years ago.) Next time I went on SE after that, I took my camera and snapped about three pictures of the capsule. My pictures were AWESOME. They showed some great detail; I was correct on how badly the paint looked. But because the capsule is not in the guests' view, it doesn't matter if it was a little faded.

Also, the capsule is HUGE. It definitely looks a lot smaller in the pics posted in this thread. But if you turn around right before the news screen and shoot a picture of what is behind you over your right shoulder, you will get an amazing picture of a large black structure that has some sort of history.

Unfortunately, I deleted this pictures. :( (sorry!) I thought I had them, but I must have deleted them because my researching efforts had failed me. Next time I am in EPCOT, I will snap some pictures for this thread. I can't wait til you guys can see the capsule in large view; its pretty amazing that when the ride was renovated in 1994, it was not removed, but just painted over.

Hope my three year old discovery helped a bit. :D

jasondiff

Hmmmm, the structure in the upper-left corner of Marni's picture is most definately The Land. The red structure of the atirum is visible, as is the white dome of the Tropics greenhouse behind and to the right of it.

In jasondiff's picture, World Showcase lagoon and the monorail loop are visible, meaninig that the open hatch points more-or-less in the direction of the monorail station and bus parking lots.

Putting these two together, the hatch seems to have been constructed from part of the triangle that appears directly behind the assorted coolers and lunchboxes in Marni's photo.

*whew*

Now that you pointed out The Land, that helps me a lot. I've updated my pics and added a present-day aerial pic of SSE. One of the six points of the large hexagon points North, and I've labeled that in each pic for comparison. The the red triangle would then be the outer hatch, or in the case of the construction pic, the area right below the outer hatch. Whether in this pic this is the inner hatch is still being discussed. (I am not certain that I've got the right set of 6 triangles to make the hexagon on the aerial photo, due to the angle, but I think I'm close.)

SSEHatchexterior_mod2.jpg

SSE_construction10hatch.jpg

ssehatchaerial.jpg

EpcotMark

And for God Sakes, Stop taking FLASH PICTURES inside Spaceship Earth. It is so annoying when you are trying to enjoy this thing and the yee-ha tourist in front of you wants to take pictures of everything.

TinkerBell9988

And for God Sakes, Stop taking FLASH PICTURES inside Spaceship Earth. It is so annoying when you are trying to enjoy this thing and the yee-ha tourist in front of you wants to take pictures of everything.

What's eating you?

If you don't like the thread, then please have respect for everyone else and don't post in it. Thank you.

And I am not a 'yee-ha' tourist. I live in Kissimmee.

beanboon

The inner hatch is NOT at or near the center of the sphere. It's probably closer to the top of the elevator shaft if anything. Look at Marni's diagrams for the elevator (just inside of the space tunnel to the right), imagine the hatch being right above that (at least pretty close).

There is an interstitial space between the inner skin (the ceiling) and the outer skin big enough for a person to crawl around. One would exit the hatch and probably crawl up a ladder attached to the inner skin to reach the top center. We all know there is a removable panel on the outer skin top center.

Correct me if I'm worng but I think each of the 6 large triangles those men are standing on corresponds to four large triangles of the skin, each of which has 3 alucobond panels. Let me try to draw it out and post a graphic.

Edit: Ok, here we go. The 6 triangles I drew on this pic correspond to the 6 triangles the men are standing on in Martin's pic. That would put the hatch in the middle of one of the 6 triangles the men are standing on, not sure which one though. What do you think?

SSEHatchexterior_mod.jpg

Connor002

Since there are pictures of SSE's top hatch flying around, does anyone happen to have a photo/screenshot of Mickey on top? I vaguely remember advertisements of such.

jasondiff

The inner hatch is NOT at or near the center of the sphere. It's probably closer to the top of the elevator shaft if anything. Look at Marni's diagrams for the elevator (just inside of the space tunnel to the right), imagine the hatch being right above that (at least pretty close).

There is an interstitial space between the inner skin (the ceiling) and the outer skin big enough for a person to crawl around. One would exit the hatch and probably crawl up a ladder attached to the inner skin to reach the top center. We all know there is a removable panel on the outer skin top center.

Interesting. So I've located the outer hatch, which is not near the inner hatch. I remember reading the interstitial space was about 2 feet between the inner skin and alucobond outer panels. So I guess that's enough space to get through, but maybe not for Mickey Mouse!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
EpcotMark; I can assure you most of these photos are taken during a long ride stop or an evacuation. Some are with the work lights on. Nothing bugs us more than someone taking flash photos during a dark ride. There have been instances when someone hasn`t taken a photo since other guests are nearby.
If you don`t like the party go home! :p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Now, where were we?

I`m modifying the graphic I drew since as Omnispace pointed out stairwell 10 is in the wrong place. Guess I got so into it I didn`t see it! Stairwell 5 however is in the right place. I`ve also pulled the wireframe model pics; it does indeed seem like the projection level curves round to meet the lift area from Stair 11.

Regarding the hatch, yep, there are 2 layers on the building; the Alucobond pannels, attached on rods to be held away from the real surface, which is a rubber weatherproof membrane (which won an award) - although there would be 2 hatches - one pannel and one watertight - they`d have to be in the same area; there isn`t enough room between the 2 layers to move about:

Attachments

• Roof pannel.jpg
    Roof pannel.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 163

beanboon

Allright, here is a picture of the inner hatch, notice the roof curve to get an idea of how off to the side it is. You can see the lift right below it (it's partially hidden behind the wall but you can see the top of it just sticking out.

Visible to the left at the top is one of the three exhaust fans in the top center of the ride, and below that is the octagonal descent core.

SSE9.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Settled then. It`s off center! I`ve got a better image of the exterior door open; see how it`s opened outwards in 3 sections like a petal - each part hinged outward and lying on the adjacent pannel.

Now, back to satellites, windows, and curtains!

Attachments

• SSE Hatch open - folded out.jpg
    SSE Hatch open - folded out.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 177

kcnole

This thread is amazing and probably one of the most interesting ones I've ever read on here. SSE has been my favorite attraction since I first saw it as a kid and sphere really is an architectural marvel. The level of interest that it has spawned in this thread should show that.

Katya

Dubyoo - this room (with rotating purple gobos) was the first room after leaving the `visual` core - right now I`d place it just around the classroom screen. I`m also working on a before and after comparisson.

I can't quite tell if this has been disproved, but after watching video of the old ride (which I believe is yours, Martin, found it on MouseBits) these rotating gobos would have to be after it, not to mention that the AA in the window would have been in this same room, as the shots of the "rocket" painted black is actually right behind you when looking at the classroom, and while riding the ride is the main source of illumination to see the old set piece.

And I will personally vouch from whoever mentioned it about beanboon's photos, yeah, it's extremely dusty andn dirty and just full of maintenance stuff down where you can't see at 180top.

And again, I really can't say that there were any set pieces up near the projectors, as I have personally been up there and aside from having to watch closely for support wires that would have been extremely painful to collide with, the floors are empty.

I really do wish, that as a cast member, I would be able to take some pictures with worklights on and get up there, but I'm afraid there's really just not a way to do it. But I can, on the other hand, probably convince the loaders (depending on who's working and assuming it's later at night) to surround with more empty cars so flash taking is more possible if I were there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I really do wish, that as a cast member, I would be able to take some pictures with worklights on and get up there, but I'm afraid there's really just not a way to do it. But I can, on the other hand, probably convince the loaders (depending on who's working and assuming it's later at night) to surround with more empty cars so flash taking is more possible if I were there.
I wouldn`t wish any CM to break - or even bend - the rules for anything. I know J and R are planning their trip this evening (Friday). In an ideal world you`d have a loader that understood, and slip into the queue right before it closed for the night (no one behind you) and then pay real close attention to the mural, meaning a slow amble into the building (so the cars in front are empty)

Then pray for creep mode in 180top :D

BTW; now I have a better idea of where the calssroom is (core), the rotating gobos from `86 would be after the classroom, in the first true descent `tunnel`.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom