Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Disnerd2003

I believe that photo is a composite, with an old photo of the girl overlaid onto a flash photo of the station as it exists today, and then lightened up. That's why it looks darker than usual.
No I dont think so. It's too clear to be a layered image as it all looks uniform. Either it was repainted just before the Irons version for whatever reason, or the space station was painted black and the astronauts were removed, but the window wasn't painted over because they figured it was too dark to see it, which they rectified in 2007 when they hung the blue lights. @marni1971 may have more info.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No I dont think so. It's too clear to be a layered image as it all looks uniform. Either it was repainted just before the Irons version for whatever reason, or the space station was painted black and the astronauts were removed, but the window wasn't painted over because they figured it was too dark to see it, which they rectified in 2007 when they hung the blue lights. @marni1971 may have more info.
I don’t think its a composite; more a heavily enhanced image to bring out the dark details. I maybe even have done it myself (I’ve done so much with 180top over the last decade ive forgotten more than I remember) but here’s a similar one I know I did using the same method post 1994:

9A7E4966-37FC-43CA-9E25-8CF458585A9E.jpeg

The second photo @Dragonman posted is a floodlit photo showing the true colour.

Last edited:

Expo_Seeker40

In 2006 I remember turning around to see it reflect from the light of the “virtual classroom” projection.

While I think the space station was always painted white (expect for the walls) I also think the window structure was too up until 2007.

Dragonman

In 2006 I remember turning around to see it reflect from the light of the “virtual classroom” projection.

While I think the space station was always painted white (expect for the walls) I also think the window structure was too up until 2007.

Yes it was originally all white but the entire thing was painted black in late 1994 during the Irons refurb. @marni1971 can verify.

yensidtlaw1969

I don’t think its a composite; more a heavily enhanced image to bring out the dark details. I maybe even have done it myself (I’ve done so much with 180top over the last decade ive forgotten more than I remember) but here’s a similar one I know I did using the same method post 1994:

View attachment 417910

The second photo @Dragonman posted is a floodlit photo showing the true colour.
That's basically what I meant - a photo like this, with a separate picture of the girl laid into it. But that's a guesstimation, I don't know for sure. The picture just looked 'shopped, and it would explain why the station was suddenly darker than anyone had record of it being while the girl was actually in the window.

raymusiccity

Now that we know Spaceship Earth is going down in February for it's refurb (heard it on other threads), it's time to say goodbye to window girl and her spaceship, as I'm sure it'll be removed... Kind of sad. A piece of Epcot history.
I'm hoping against hope that the refurb will make everything old, new again. Maybe they can save the window girl and have her wave to this guy cruising by...... !
musk.jpg

Disnerd2003

I'm hoping against hope that the refurb will make everything old, new again. Maybe they can save the window girl and have her wave to this guy cruising by...…!
View attachment 418244
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster has sailed through the universe of time; and for a brief moment, a single lonely astronaut has been it’s passenger."

Dragonman

I’m wondering if most cast members nowadays even know she’s still in there or that the space station is even there. They could revamp it to some sort of sci fi spaceship for the new storytelling aspect.

Disnerd2003

I feel like it sticks out like a sore thumb. Once you notice it you never are able to un-see it. My kids noticed it without me even having ever told them about it. You've just got to be observant and not on your cell phone on rides (Which irritates me beyond belief).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom