Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Goofyernmost

Be careful stating that I, at any point, insinuated or stated that imagineers are stupid. (I have often called management and executives less then forward thinking and other choice adjectives.) The ride was built with him facing forward. They moved him for an undeclared reason. The heavily rumored and sometimes verified reason is his face was no longer operable for indeterminate reasons ( I witnessed the creepy version of the disembodied voice from the inoperable face on several occasion before his "move".). If we are not part of the story (or as Dame Dench says in her narration "in it") why would it matter what direction he faced. Many attractions acknowledge your presence even if you were not in the original story. I tire of this weak defense/explanation. Go back to deciding what details are important, it's more fun that way. Oh wait...that's what you are doing....

Are you a brand advocate?

*1023*
Really, I disagree with your explanation so I am a brand advocate? You guys need a better comeback. One that at least makes sense. I don't know for sure why they turned him around and faced him the other way. I must have missed that memo, you must have gotten a different one. They could have lost him completely without any real difference. They get away with silhouettes in the window, we don't have a problem with that. There was expense and labor involved with moving him. You may be right or I may be right. In the long haul it doesn't matter. It fits the story line to have him turned around and I am going with the idea that no one really gave a thought to the time travel aspect until a light went on someplace and they said... why is that kid trying to sell newspapers to not only an invisible audience, but, a moving train? So rather, since they had to choose to spend money to fix him or move him, why not go with something that actually fits the storyline.

And yes, quite observant of you, I am still talking about detail. And in absolutely the opposite direction of that last discussion. Here I see the positives of detail and you seem to think that just because you have seen it the other way, detail isn't important. As in the last discussion, it is a personal judgement that we all are free to make. What bothers some, have no affect on others.

Last edited:

Sage of Time

And yet again, there is a reason. We are time traveling. We are an invisible group of people unseen by those that are part of the scenes. Why would the paperboy be trying to sell papers to someone that he cannot see and don't exist in real time. What he is doing now, if you look carefully is hawking his papers on the street corners to people that are actually there in his time and space. It's not a back wall he is facing it is the street in front of him.
And it looks fake as he ll and there is no paper back there. Sorry, I don't buy the explanation or the illusion. It feels cheap.

Goofyernmost

And it looks fake as he ll and there is no paper back there. Sorry, I don't buy the explanation or the illusion. It feels cheap.
I can't say I disagree. It wasn't planned that way and it doesn't have the necessary remaining detail to not seem odd to all of us that saw it before. However, I cannot shake the idea that there were many other ways to solve the problem other then what they did. Losing him completely would have been a more frugal and "end of it" way to go.
I think the explanation is completely feasible, others obviously don't. Such is life.

spacemountain89

Can anyone confirm, does the AA hawking newspapers "Extra...Extra" actually have a face anymore? Why was the kid turned around anyway?
Yes he has a face and it is damaged. I have seen it first hand many times as i was trainer and tour guide for that building. He has a cut above his mouth. There are several reasons why he was turned around. To open up the scene a bit by putting him further from the ride track, his face was messed up, and apparently they are in shortage of animatronic parts for that size. The last one according to one of the maintenance guys at the attraction. One other fun fact, the middle telephone operator lady has a lazy eye.

articos

Yes he has a face and it is damaged. I have seen it first hand many times as i was trainer and tour guide for that building. He has a cut above his mouth. There are several reasons why he was turned around. To open up the scene a bit by putting him further from the ride track, his face was messed up, and apparently they are in shortage of animatronic parts for that size. The last one according to one of the maintenance guys at the attraction. One other fun fact, the middle telephone operator lady has a lazy eye.
I've heard "opening up the scene" from a few people, but it's not correct. Shortage of parts maybe, but that could be fixed - I wonder why they aren't ordering or refabricating parts. A cut on the figure isn't a reason to turn him either - that can be repaired. It was just a creative decision to move him, in addition to Ops requesting that he be moved farther away from people trying to reach out and touch him.

Hatbox12

See attached picture. This is from the undersea scene from Horizons. Notice the young girls appearance? And arm and hand placement? Very much like the AA girl in the window.

Photo courtesy of www.lostepcot.com

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 315

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Wasnt this the thread which "Marty Sklars" ("Skylar" was how she spelled it, lol) granddaughter popped up and cursed out everybody then posted graphic images of large ladies and then got booted? That was a hilarious afternoon. Good times!

Disone

I have taken the backstage tour of Space Ship Earth. Twice! Lights one.... attraction off..... really amazing. And it pains me to admit this.... I never checked his face. I knew he use to face the rider, but didn't ask why they moved him. That all said, I do know I have stood right by him, again twice, and neither time did I notice any significant damage. Running out of parts for an AA that size???? My guess is that is not it. Why? Most of Disney's AA are custom made, especially in older attractions like SSE and Pirates. All of them wear out. All of them need to be rebuilt from time to time. That family in Carousel of Progress, also has forward facing AA of that size. I recall the news boys face, but I am not going to lie and say I specifically check for damage. I did not not, but while I also don't recall seeing any and so I would guess, if there was, it was not horribly noticeable. Base on personal experience, I tend to think it probably is story line. None of the other AA are facing the track. In fact I never noticed that detail until this tread, but good point, the entire cast of AA acts as if the ride does not exist. I am going to point that out to future rookies.

HMF

I have taken the backstage tour of Space Ship Earth. Twice! Lights one.... attraction off..... really amazing. And it pains me to admit this.... I never checked his face. I knew he use to face the rider, but didn't ask why they moved him. That all said, I do know I have stood right by him, again twice, and neither time did I notice any significant damage. Running out of parts for an AA that size???? My guess is that is not it. Why? Most of Disney's AA are custom made, especially in older attractions like SSE and Pirates. All of them wear out. All of them need to be rebuilt from time to time. That family in Carousel of Progress, also has forward facing AA of that size. I recall the news boys face, but I am not going to lie and say I specifically check for damage. I did not not, but while I also don't recall seeing any and so I would guess, if there was, it was not horribly noticeable. Base on personal experience, I tend to think it probably is story line. None of the other AA are facing the track. In fact I never noticed that detail until this tread, but good point, the entire cast of AA acts as if the ride does not exist. I am going to point that out to future rookies.
In the old days they would remove effects or parts that didn't work rather than merely hiding it by turning it away from guests.

Big C 73

In the old days they would remove effects or parts that didn't work rather than merely hiding it by turning it away from guests.

...and in the greatest probability they would replace the effects or parts as steadfastly as possible to ensure the highest show quality for guest.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom