Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

TomboyJanet

Don't anyone take this wrong, but how can anyone not be impressed just for the ride itself. The show scenes themselves were very detailed, and you were riding around inside a globe, up a dozen or so stories and back down to almost where your started. Am I the only one not so jaded by technology that they are not able to appreciate the marvel at the ride itself and all its dimensions. Yes, some of the scenes were lame and anyone that went to school when they actually taught something were just impressed by the presentation and its elements. We already knew the history but how entertaining it was and largely still is.
Personally I think SSE should be like the 8th wonder of the modern world. It's art itself. I feel like They jammed so much in this sphere and just realizing that you're always in this massive monument while you're seeing elaborate sets that seem much larger than anything that should ever be able to fit in there. I think that the poster was just comparing it with a previous version, not having seen it for the first time but for repeated visit compared to a prior one. I'm fortunate enough to remember the Tomorrow's Child version Cronkite and Irons and now the current one. So that's three different versions, and I can say I was disappointed with the very linnear and unrealistic semetrical star field at the end.

That being Said I just noticed that the reason it rotates backwards for the "return to Earth", is because it's too steep to remain forward without you falling forward or being generally uncomfortable for a long period of time. That's just a fun little thing I took note of.

I think that the you in the future thing would be best saved for the Communicore area, and the end of the ride should be kinda like the old Horizons was. You seem to have some unused space (not as much because the show scenes from the other part of the ride probably take up more than half the globe or something) and you can put something like they used to have with the model city or like maybe a small house of tomorrow with hologram communication, or interplanetary communication, or like how smart phones have changed our lives or something!

Also on a side note, does anyone know about the surface of the moon that was supposed to be up there? Why did they not do that it would make so much sense considering how far the earth is from you, you are DEFINATELY on the moon as that is a distant Earth and DEFINATELY not a routine orbit where we'd put any space station or satilite. I think I saw this lame pic that showed where the moon rocks would be and it was just full of trash.

Dragonman

Personally I think SSE should be like the 8th wonder of the modern world. It's art itself. I feel like They jammed so much in this sphere and just realizing that you're always in this massive monument while you're seeing elaborate sets that seem much larger than anything that should ever be able to fit in there. I think that the poster was just comparing it with a previous version, not having seen it for the first time but for repeated visit compared to a prior one. I'm fortunate enough to remember the Tomorrow's Child version Cronkite and Irons and now the current one. So that's three different versions, and I can say I was disappointed with the very linnear and unrealistic semetrical star field at the end.

That being Said I just noticed that the reason it rotates backwards for the "return to Earth", is because it's too steep to remain forward without you falling forward or being generally uncomfortable for a long period of time. That's just a fun little thing I took note of.

I think that the you in the future thing would be best saved for the Communicore area, and the end of the ride should be kinda like the old Horizons was. You seem to have some unused space (not as much because the show scenes from the other part of the ride probably take up more than half the globe or something) and you can put something like they used to have with the model city or like maybe a small house of tomorrow with hologram communication, or interplanetary communication, or like how smart phones have changed our lives or something!

Also on a side note, does anyone know about the surface of the moon that was supposed to be up there? Why did they not do that it would make so much sense considering how far the earth is from you, you are DEFINATELY on the moon as that is a distant Earth and DEFINATELY not a routine orbit where we'd put any space station or satilite. I think I saw this lame pic that showed where the moon rocks would be and it was just full of trash.
The moon surface was scrapped because the forced perspective didn’t work. There’s still plywood cutouts of the surface up there painted black in the dome and there used to be a 3D surface on the floor in the space station room.

TomboyJanet

The moon surface was scrapped because the forced perspective didn’t work. There’s still plywood cutouts of the surface up there painted black in the dome and there used to be a 3D surface on the floor in the space station room.
They could have just Disguised the edges with large rocks or something. Idk there's probably something up there that I don't see. I did see some odd shapes in there so I guess that's the plywood.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They could have just Disguised the edges with large rocks or something. Idk there's probably something up there that I don't see. I did see some odd shapes in there so I guess that's the plywood.
Thee was a lot more than just the edges to make it work. Moonbase, moon surface, construction works etc. The set was a fair way into being installed when it was realised it wouldn’t work. George M had a similar issue in Horizons but to a far lesser extent, but when he was asked to look at 180 top in SSE it dawned on them the effect worked from a single viewpoint but not multiple moving positions. And thus it was changed. Here is a concept composite of the original intent:

IMG_0911.jpeg

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Without going through all the pages for this thread not sure if this video has been posted. It contains two seperate ride throughs from the 80's. The first occurrence at about 24:30 adds in the previous posted artist renditions. The second ride thru at around the 48th minute has the multiple space objects and the girl in the station.

The video from MartinsVidsDotNet

View attachment 729935

Might I suggest you read the first page of the thread?

Epcot81Fan

Without going through all the pages for this thread not sure if this video has been posted. It contains two seperate ride throughs from the 80's. The first occurrence at about 24:30 adds in the previous posted artist renditions. The second ride thru at around the 48th minute has the multiple space objects and the girl in the station.

View attachment 729935

Hold the phone! Martin has a video about Spaceship Earth?! NOW you tell me!!!

CaptainNicko

View attachment 729935

Welcome! As mentioned, you should read the whole thread... It's worth it. Especially if you enjoy that particular person's videos.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

View attachment 729935

Welcome to the party 👋

DisnEdely

Welcome! As mentioned, you should read the whole thread... It's worth it. Especially if you enjoy that particular person's videos.
I have read the whole thread awhile back and have been keeping up. I just happened to do a search and found the video.

It's the best I have seen from the early days. Heck you can see the paper boys face to. Brings back memories of when I was on SE as a kid.

JoeCamel

I have read the whole thread awhile back and have been keeping up. I just happened to do a search and found the video.

It's the best I have seen from the early days. Heck you can see the paper boys face to. Brings back memories of when I was on SE as a kid.
Do you know who posted just above you? That is the creator of the videos and he shares them without cost to us all

By the way @marni1971 thanks for all the quality time

some other guy

Do you know who posted just above you? That is the creator of the videos and he shares them without cost to us all

By the way @marni1971 thanks for all the quality time
tbf I see that happen a lot online, not specifically Martin, but the general exchange of
"woah you should check out this guy, his stuff's cool and is up your alley"
"thank you, I'm glad you appreciate my work"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom