Spaceship Earth Sponsor

monorail_driver said:
I miss AT&T ... but, since that's not happening, I hope Siemens, or another sponsor, moves in so Spaceship Earth can hopefully get the funding (and sponsorship) it deserves!

Here's an idea: I suggest Disney stop worrying about a sponsorship deal and pony up the money that Spaceship Earth deserves themselves!

The idea within the WDC that an attraction "needs" a sponsor in order for it to be taken care of needs to be laid to rest.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ThreeCircles said:
Here's an idea: I suggest Disney stop worrying about a sponsorship deal and pony up the money that Spaceship Earth deserves themselves!

The idea within the WDC that an attraction "needs" a sponsor in order for it to be taken care of needs to be laid to rest.

I could not agree more. WDC's commitment should to be to its guests. If an attraction needs updating, update it and use the money from future sponsership. Dont penalize the guest by waiting until you get sponsership to do something.

Dayma

ThreeCircles said:

Although this is nice in the perfect world this is still business and their model is for a sponsor. Hard to argue the fact that if you dont have to pay for something...dont.

Its not like SSE is in horrible shape where they need to do something asap. Its still one of the most visited attractions.

blackride said:
Although this is nice in the perfect world this is still business and their model is for a sponsor. Hard to argue the fact that if you dont have to pay for something...dont.

Then it's a poor model.

Its not like SSE is in horrible shape where they need to do something asap. Its still one of the most visited attractions.

I'd have to disagree with you. In my view, Spaceship Earth is in very poor shape. It's the flagship attraction for the entire park and it has a huge, cavernous, dark, ugly, empty room at the end? Some of the AT&T logos are covered in what looks to be unsightly tape and others are left as-is?

I just don't think that's the Disney Touch they want to sell.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SSE could be run into the ground Pressler-style unless things are done soon. The Omnimover has steadily deterioated over the past decade and this one would not be easy to replace (or even give a major overhaul.) The last rehab was 11 years ago - as much as I love the current version, the ending of the ride (still themed to the Global Neighborhood travesty) was based on the upcoming World Wide Web for everyone; something we now take for granted (as I write this 3200 miles from Orlando) is looking as dated as -gulp- the original Energy theatre 2 film did in 1996. I`ve covered the constraints of the return to earth scenes in an earlier topic, but maybe a few tweaks could help; *my best Jeremy Irons voice* "this is where we are today, now look at the post show for where we may be going" - assuming we get a post show back.

Sponsors are not needed for one of the worlds richest companies. Yes, Walt did use them to get Disneyland up and running, and EPCOT Center did have them through its very nature (as E.P.C.O.T. was to have too) but has being sponsorless hurt Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, The Haunted Mansion? Maybe they need some TLC, but still out perform some of the newer sponsored attractions after 34 years.

Lets also remember Eisner has done the sponsorship issue no favours over the past few years. Come September, maybe companies will start talking to Disney again instead of pulling out.

wannabeBelle

egionet said:
From what I've heard, the Siemens sponsorship is going to happen. I have a friend who works for the company that is going to be in charge of all the marketing for the sponsorship. They are trying to talk her into moving to Orlando and be on their marketing team, but she doesn't want to.

Since SSE looks horrible with no sponsorship, hopefully this deal will go through :sohappy:
Tell your friend I volunteer to move to Orlando, get a great job and be able to visit the parks as part of my job!!!!! No problem!!!!! Belle

General Grizz

Sponsors can also be blessings. Take Dole, for instance, which supported the refurbishment of the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland.

By all means necessary, Spaceship Earth should be given a massive overhaul. But I do not think Audio-Animatronics or detailed show scenes should be sacrificed, as it has been discussed in blue sky over the years.

I don't quite know what the current plans hold for the building, but if it takes a corporate sponsor to provide the funds for Disney to keep, maintain, and perhaps advance the Audio-Animatronics figures, then I'd love to see one.

monorail_driver

jmaxwell007 said:
secondly, since AT&T doesnt exist anymore, now cingular, oh lets hope that they dont sponsor it......... they would probably want to paint the geosphere orange. how tragic

I'm livin' in the past! I have AT&T as an internet service provider :confused: wonder how long that will last.

General Grizz said:
But I do not think Audio-Animatronics or detailed show scenes should be sacrificed, as it has been discussed in blue sky over the years.

Of course, the scenes at the beginning shouldn't be adjusted, but I do think the end where people are communicating via monitors needs a tune-up, as the people aren't animatronics - just people set into place. I say replace them with AA.

BTW, how much money does it take to sponsor an attraction? How many people are at WDWmagic.com??? Hmm ... do I sense a sponsorship opportunity, at the minimum time, just to remove the wand? :lol: :lol:

WISHFUL THINKING :rolleyes:

peter11435

jmaxwell007 said:
i thought you were going somewhere else with that........... glad you didnt.

secondly, since AT&T doesnt exist anymore, now cingular, oh lets hope that they dont sponsor it......... they would probably want to paint the geosphere orange. how tragic
Actually AT&T does still exist. The only thing that no longer exists is AT&T wireless which is now cingular. AT&T is still AT&T. However the company has been purchased by SBC Communications.

DisneyHoneymoon

erasing AT&T is easy enough

Especially if money is going to be thrown at Spaceship Earth and it will stick, this time. They will likely change a lot of the displays as well - focusing on Seimen's main products (diagnostic imaging, cardiology, oncology, critical care, surgery, anesthesiology and audiology.)

Interesting, too, that in the recent past folks at Disney Institute Event Group participated in -- and highlighted it as a "case study" -- when Siemens Medical, an American affiliate of Siemens Medical Engineering Group in Germany - held an event billed as a gathering for "enhancing external customer service" levels. It was held at the Contemporary - perhaps in 1994? The press from Disney Institute was filled with mutually loving sentiments between Disney+Siemens. some of the workshops that siemens folks participated in were "Management, Disney Style" and "Service, Disney Style." Perhaps this was the foundation being laid for future plans???
:D

John Chen, current Director of Disney's Board, has past employment listed in his Bio with Siemens, although it is Siemens "Nixdorf" and Siemens Pyramid.

and the most illuminating fact of all, is that Siemens cell phones have a Mickey Mouse March Polyphonic Ring tone available online.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doing a simple Google search for Disney + Siemens brings up interesting tidbits, it seems :lol:

brkgnews

DisneyHoneymoon said:
They will likely change a lot of the displays as well - focusing on Seimen's main products (diagnostic imaging, cardiology, oncology, critical care, surgery, anesthesiology and audiology.)

I'll take sponsor money where/how I can get it, but wouldn't that make more sense over at WoL?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom