News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
At least based upon FP+ that rumor will not come to fruition. Through 3/15 (the furthest out I can look), TT and SSE are both available to book.
The DIBB shows fast passes available through May 12 (90 days).
Ask the people with Great Movie Ride fastpasses what that got them.

Prince Thomas

I said my goodbyes to Spaceship Earth last October knowing I wouldn’t return till September of this year. I literally rode it 3 times in a row and tried to absorb every little thing I could. Dramatic yes I know lol but I heard on here it was going down for about 2&1/2 to 3 years.

wendysue

I said my goodbyes to Spaceship Earth last October knowing I wouldn’t return till September of this year. I literally rode it 3 times in a row and tried to absorb every little thing I could. Dramatic yes I know lol but I heard on here it was going down for about 2&1/2 to 3 years.
We did that last year, but it was still there last month when we went. It stopped a lot, the lighting is sooo bad we could not see half of what's in there like we used to. It needs a refurb badly. :(

trainplane3

This was shared today. Almost had a heart attack thinking it was going to say something like "...enjoy this mural before it goes away with the reimagining of Epcot. Walt Disney likes change...etc...etc..." but instead...

"Mazzoli’s mural remains one of the most beloved and most important art installations at Walt Disney World."

I hope they leave it alone, aside from touchups of course.

UNCgolf

It's a great mural. I took a photo of it when I was there recently just in case they did anything to it.

I think it was the second best in EPCOT, behind the Prologue and the Promise which is an absolutely stunning piece of art. But since that's no longer in EPCOT, this one takes first!

trainplane3

It's a great mural. I took a photo of it when I was there recently just in case they did anything to it.

I think it was the second best in EPCOT, behind the Prologue and the Promise which is an absolutely stunning piece of art. But since that's no longer in EPCOT, this one takes first!
I think I take a picture of it everytime I go on SSE.
According to Hoot (who knows if he's right or wrong...) that was placed in storage in HM before Horizons was demo'd. I'd hope it ended up in the archives or some private collection by now.

UNCgolf

According to Hoot (who knows if he's right or wrong...) that was placed in storage in HM before Horizons was demo'd. I'd hope it ended up in the archives or some private collection by now.

My understanding is that a smaller reference version is definitely in Disney's possession somewhere but nobody seems to know if the large original was saved.

To me, that means the original was likely destroyed and they're embarrassed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was removed sometime before demo. Where I don’t know. I can’t verify but it is possible it was removed when the exit was reworked in early 1986.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Has anyone ever found a FULL high resolution scan of this mural? Most scans online are missing either the righthand side with the caveman's hand or the lefthand side with part of the satellite.
Of course...

D2DE380D-057E-403C-B8D7-517C30299FD5.jpeg

Last edited:

Dragonman

Basically Hoot said The Prologue and the Promise was rolled up behind the ballroom wall in HM due to the legal battle over it. Whether that’s true or not i don’t know.

rustincohle

We're going in May. SSE is offering 90-day fastpasses for most of our trip at time of writing. What are the odds that it'll still be open when we go? Would they cancel people's booked FPs?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We're going in May. SSE is offering 90-day fastpasses for most of our trip at time of writing. What are the odds that it'll still be open when we go? Would they cancel people's booked FPs?

It could go down on Feb 27, the day that Test Track comes out of refurb. Or the next day. Or week. Or month. It's WDW.

Yes, FPs have been known to be cancelled for ride breakdowns, refurbs, and closures. It should magically turn into a FP for any attraction.

In fact, people should now grab SSE FPs in the hope of getting a wildcard FP!!

rustincohle

It could go down on Feb 27, the day that Test Track comes out of refurb. Or the next day. Or week. Or month. It's WDW.

Yes, FPs have been known to be cancelled for ride breakdowns, refurbs, and closures. It should magically turn into a FP for any attraction.

In fact, people should now grab SSE FPs in the hope of getting a wildcard FP!!
Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait and hope!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom