News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

jt04

The more it keeps getting pushed makes me believe they will turn it into The Great Disney Movie Ride, full of IP’s. Any thoughts @jt04 ?

I think they are delaying for MMRR if possible and possibly for Flower and Garden. They may even wait for Ratatouille. My guess is this has to do with the concerns of park ops.

as for the new content, I think it is a better concept than 'Communications'. I think WDI will do well with the idea of Storytelling even with IPs included.

DoleWhipDrea

I figured the screens were added only because of the Siemens sponsorship? With the sponsorship gone, maintaining a not-so-great photo op and allowing time for guests’ eyes to adjust to the screens when WDI may (hopefully) revive/refresh the scenes hidden behind the black curtains on the descent doesn’t make sense, IMHO.

I’m not much of a fan of the blinding flash photo ops on dark rides at WDW.

ThistleMae

What we know so far:
-Attraction will shift focus from communication to storytelling and will be narrated by a “story light” (most likely a projection effect)
-Everything up to the industrial revolution is being kept
-Space station might hopefully be utilized in some sort possibly
-Annoying vehicle screens and black curtains during decent might be removed and physical scenes might return
-Animatronics may be upgraded
-Back of pavilion will be removed/reworked into new queue/post-show
I think it will be cool! I enjoy changes even though I have fond memories of these rides. If Carousel of Progress gets nixed, I might cry :arghh:...but it could be modernized a bit.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The more it keeps getting pushed makes me believe they will turn it into The Great Disney Movie Ride, full of IP’s. Any thoughts @jt04 ?
I think they are delaying for MMRR if possible and possibly for Flower and Garden. They may even wait for Ratatouille. My guess is this has to do with the concerns of park ops.

as for the new content, I think it is a better concept than 'Communications'. I think WDI will do well with the idea of Storytelling even with IPs included.
Thank you for your insider input!!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
The more it keeps getting pushed makes me believe they will turn it into The Great Disney Movie Ride, full of IP’s.
That’s my fear, that we’ll end up with screens of these characters narrating through the whole ride

D626B680-202B-4701-9D63-4F854A6BE152.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Mostly agree. Although you make it sound like my "agenda" is self-centered. As I mentioned recently, I only want to see WDW succeed as opposed to being sold off in chunks. Which has been discussed according to insiders.

You are welcome to search my 20K+ posts to find any contradictions to my claim. It would likely have to be taken out of context to even remotely seem inconsistent with what I'm saying. Good luck.

Now since this thread is about SSE, I predict it will start the journey to its new and wonderful life the day after MMRR opens. Just a guess. hopefully see you at the grand reopening re-dedication ceremony.

*Again looks at TWDC financial reports... sees PEP profits as 40-45% of overall company profit*

Sad that WDW hasn’t been “succeeding”. How much do you think Iger will sell the parks off for? Who do you think would buy them?

jt04

*Again looks at TWDC financial reports... sees PEP profits as 40-45% of overall company profit*

Sad that WDW hasn’t been “succeeding”. How much do you think Iger will sell the parks off for? Who do you think would buy them?

I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted whatever you are responding to. Or maybe you need to break down what you are saying for the casual observer of WDW financials

My point was that between things like a string of billion dollar movies, Disney+ exceeding expectations, merch sales and many other successes, WDW is seeing steady investment it has never enjoyed before. It used to be very cyclical.

Goofyernmost

Mostly agree. Although you make it sound like my "agenda" is self-centered. As I mentioned recently, I only want to see WDW succeed as opposed to being sold off in chunks. Which has been discussed according to insiders.

You are welcome to search my 20K+ posts to find any contradictions to my claim. It would likely have to be taken out of context to even remotely seem inconsistent with what I'm saying. Good luck.

Now since this thread is about SSE, I predict it will start the journey to its new and wonderful life the day after MMRR opens. Just a guess. hopefully see you at the grand reopening re-dedication ceremony.
I don't have a problem with you expressing your opinion and yes, you have many times stated that you are not an insider. I do have a question though, with all the brand new stuff in DHS why would the opening of MMRR make any difference to when they start on SSE? I don't think MMRR will pull anything away from Epcot since Epcot is a destination all it's own. What would make sense is when Test Track reopens and they have another attraction to help fill the void.

I know any visit I have to Epcot is completely separate from DHS. I might go to both during my visit, but I wouldn't not go to Epcot because MMRR was open.

Epcot82Guy

I don't have a problem with you expressing your opinion and yes, you have many times stated that you are not an insider. I do have a question though, with all the brand new stuff in DHS why would the opening of MMRR make any difference to when they start on SSE? I don't think MMRR will pull anything away from Epcot since Epcot is a destination all it's own. What would make sense is when Test Track reopens and they have another attraction to help fill the void.

I know any visit I have to Epcot is completely separate from DHS. I might go to both during my visit, but I wouldn't not go to Epcot because MMRR was open.

The only way I could see this happening is for a portion of guests doing the Boarding Group thing. They get the Studios early and have a late Boarding Group - then hop to Epcot vs. Studios to fill the time. But, I can't imagine that is a large enough or long-term enough group to truly justify this. And, once MMRR hits, I would guess the Boarding Group issues will spread out some.

jt04

Mostly optics. Guest Services can point guests toward new offerings like mmrr for those concerned about the SSE closure. Also the recently added WS offerings.

DoleWhipDrea

That’s my fear, that we’ll end up with screens of these characters narrating through the whole ride

View attachment 444877

Thankfully, the very first thing that Bob Chapek talked about at the D23 presentation regarding SSE’s refresh was that the history that’s shown in the attraction will remain (he was actually VERY insistent when stating this.) A few fans freaked out at first because the image of the boat with the story light turning into a manta ray looked reminiscent of Moana, but when compared in imagery they weren’t, in fact, the same.

I don’t think we’ll see Hercules hanging out with the Greeks performing Oedipus (though he does actually see the play with Meg off screen 😏)

aladdin2007

Thankfully, the very first thing that Bob Chapek talked about at the D23 presentation regarding SSE’s refresh was that the history that’s shown in the attraction will remain (he was actually VERY insistent when stating this.) A few fans freaked out at first because the image of the boat with the story light turning into a manta ray looked reminiscent of Moana, but when compared in imagery they weren’t, in fact, the same.

I don’t think we’ll see Hercules hanging out with the Greeks performing Oedipus (though he does actually see the play with Meg off screen 😏)

I just dont trust him. Maybe he was right but it seems like they keep changing their minds on so many things directions are all over the place.

DreamfinderGuy

Not sure if it's been mentioned here or not but Michelangelo has been immobile since at the very least last Saturday. His show lighting has been heavily reduced as well. Others on twitter seem to suggest that it has been broken for longer than this, but I'm simply reporting on when I first noticed. I figured it was just down for the time being when I first noticed, but something has to be broken pretty bad for it to have not been fixed in over a week. I have my doubts on it being repaired before SSE closes for good.

HauntedMansionFLA

Not sure if it's been mentioned here or not but Michelangelo has been immobile since at the very least last Saturday. His show lighting has been heavily reduced as well. Others on twitter seem to suggest that it has been broken for longer than this, but I'm simply reporting on when I first noticed. I figured it was just down for the time being when I first noticed, but something has to be broken pretty bad for it to have not been fixed in over a week. I have my doubts on it being repaired before SSE closes for good.
It’s been broke for several weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom