News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Bender123

That’s we don’t know him. Thank you.

It certainly hasn't affected Splash Mt that Brer Rabbit has been locked in a vault for the past 40 years...

I, personally, think Lando would have been a better choice, but its not like Hondo is some recent creation. He is very well known to just about anybody in the Prequel age group. My daughters know Hondo much more than they somebody like Lando, though...

I guess it isn't really what the character is, so much as what they do with it. There are many characters that were relatively unknown that were elevated by an attraction...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It certainly hasn't affected Splash Mt that Brer Rabbit has been locked in a vault for the past 40 years...

I, personally, think Lando would have been a better choice, but its not like Hondo is some recent creation. He is very well known to just about anybody in the Prequel age group. My daughters know Hondo much more than they somebody like Lando, though...

I guess it isn't really what the character is, so much as what they do with it. There are many characters that were relatively unknown that were elevated by an attraction...
I’m sure he’s very suitable. We just didn’t know who he was and felt we should. I agree with Lando.

pdude81

I’m sure he’s very suitable. We just didn’t know who he was and felt we should. I agree with Lando.

Lando would be cool except they would have to use the Billy Dee version based on the timeline and they probably thought they were going to have a series of movies with Donald Glover's Lando at the time of conception. I also was not aware of Hondo from the cartoons but much like the NRJ Shaman I don't think the unknown character took away from the experience.

Bender123

I just think its a bad trend in media that you need to be aware of tertiary stories to know of some major plot points and arcs...Star Wars is the worst for this, as so much of the story is outside the films. Ask any Star Wars fan who Hondo, Nines, Ashoka or Thrawn are and they will speak on them as much as a Luke Skywalker.

The Star Wars universe is huge, which is great, but the movie franchise is very limited, which is a bit of a curse.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just think its a bad trend in media that you need to be aware of tertiary stories to know of some major plot points and arcs...Star Wars is the worst for this, as so much of the story is outside the films. Ask any Star Wars fan who Hondo, Nines, Ashoka or Thrawn are and they will speak on them as much as a Luke Skywalker.

The Star Wars universe is huge, which is great, but the movie franchise is very limited, which is a bit of a curse.
I won’t get into an OT discussion, it’s the wrong place, suffice to say the first three releases were a phenomenon.

Bender123

I won’t get into an OT discussion, it’s the wrong place, suffice to say the first three releases were a phenomenon.

No doubt, I say Empire and RotJ in the theater on their first run. Its pretty funny how much I detest the new movies, but my daughters find the Prequels to be their favorites.

Star Wars has a lot of life to it, but since Disney bought it, its been a series of errors that just alienate everyone.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No doubt, I say Empire and RotJ in the theater on their first run. Its pretty funny how much I detest the new movies, but my daughters find the Prequels to be their favorites.

Star Wars has a lot of life to it, but since Disney bought it, its been a series of errors that just alienate everyone.
I didn’t even realise this was the SSE thread when replying!

ppete1975

Well...

Skibum1970

I’m sure it won’t. I’ll find out for real soon.

To your point, the storyline of Brer Rabbit can be followed without knowing much about Brer Rabbit. If Hondo is framed correctly with the preshow (I don't know who he is either), I think that most can get by without that background knowledge. Hard part is using such a popular IP and then using a character that those who only saw the movies would never know.

I really hope that this update to Spaceship Earth doesn't lose what I have enjoyed so much about the ride. I love the soundtrack and the run through history. I still like "old EPCOT" and this ride is an awesome callback to some very enjoyable rides. If they fix the ending and bring some of the recent history scenes up to date or even more future-looking, I will be pretty happy. With SSE closed, I do lose some of my interest in going to Epcot.

Timothy_Q

To your point, the storyline of Brer Rabbit can be followed without knowing much about Brer Rabbit. If the Honda is framed correctly with the preshow (I don't know who he is either), I think that most can get by without that background knowledge. Hard part is using such a popular IP and then using a character that those who only saw the movies would never know.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
They all run together after a while...
I thought we were in the Star Wars thread, too.
There have been Star Wars/Last Jedi arguments in most threads. I've seen it here, the Brazil thread, even the Gondola thread at one point.

It's the wdwmagic version of Godwin's Law: "As a wdwmagic forum thread grows longer, the probability of an argument about Star Wars approaches 1."

rreading

On the latest Jim and @lentesta podcast, Jim indicated that there is a Moana scene in the upcoming SSE redo. I'm not sure if this was Jim speculating off the D23 concept art or if he knows something, perhaps Len can give us some insight?

Someone else mentioned IP entering SSE. I suppose that were something akin to the Polynesians beginning to circumnavigate the globe and there happened to have a swirl on the sail (any maybe a familiar character on the boat), then we would probably be all up in arms about it...but if it were legitimately part of the story they were authentically telling then it could draw kids in to the fact of history ("dad, why was Moana on the boat in the big ball ride?").

Probably my biggest concern would probably be losing the story that we're familiar with...but that would be like Carousel of Progress receiving an update that changed the entire show.

I can't imagine that they are pursuing such an undertaking...but if it were well done...then maybe?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom