News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Haymarket2008

In the concept art it showed a flying manta ray in the sky that resembled the scene with Moana's grandmother all lit up like that in the movie.

Yes, it is very similar to Moana, but the concept art shows a mother and a father showing the ray to their listening child. They’re telling a story. And I also believe that rays are common in folklore of that area?? I think it will be reminiscent of Moana but not a direct “scene”.

rreading

Yes, it is very similar to Moana, but the concept art shows a mother and a father showing the ray to their listening child. They’re telling a story. And I also believe that rays are common in folklore of that area?? I think it will be reminiscent of Moana but not a direct “scene”.

Nice. Hope it's well done that way. I told my kids this morning that SSE would likely be different - and maybe vastly different - the next time they ride it. There was discussion about the possibilities and when I mentioned that Moana could be integrated, my 10yo was indignant that she should not be part of SSE. Sometimes I guess we bring our kids up right!

Bender123

So, if Spaceship Earth is to become about "storytelling" (sidenote: 🤮 ), and every Disney movie tells a story... You can see where this is going.

Considering the overarching theme of the attraction has been communication/technology (that is heavily focused on communication), story telling actually does fit the previous theme. I don't know how you could possibly add IP to most of the scenes, unless you eliminated the narrator and replaced them with an IP character that would "tell the story" as you ride.

Im not sure how Moana would be qualified to discuss cave paintings, Movies and the PC, though...The dark and twisted me would be interested in Moana in Space, though...Just shoot a manta ray onto the moon and see what happens.

Oddly, the only IP I can think of that would qualify are the Time Traveling family from Meet the Robinsons, but I seriously doubt 95% of people even remember that movie existing.

The more I run through this, the worse it sounds, but the more that odd part off me that likes B movies is very interested.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't know how you could possibly add IP to most of the scenes, unless you eliminated the narrator and replaced them with an IP character that would "tell the story" as you ride.

Bob Chapek: "Hold my beer..."

;)

Part of me hopes beyond hope that they will allow SSE to remain true to its roots and IP-free. Another part of me thinks that they will desecrate the last vestige of the original masterpiece called EPCOT Center.

gustaftp

In the D23 convention I heard no reference to IP coming to SSE. A light trail of sorts was referenced, but I don't think that even hints at IP. This seems to be a rumor that has grown legs

At least, I hope it is.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In the D23 convention I heard no reference to IP coming to SSE. A light trail of sorts was referenced, but I don't think that even hints at IP. This seems to be a rumor that has grown legs

At least, I hope it is.

But a picture of the reimagined SSE has a scene that looked like Moana in silhouette on a Polynesian raft and a translucent light-up sting ray flying over head leading them (which looked like her grandmother's ascended form).

So... maybe IP? Maybe hints of IP? 🤷‍♂️

Bender123

Bob Chapek: "Hold my beer..."

;)

Part of me hopes beyond hope that they will allow SSE to remain true to its roots and IP-free. Another part of me thinks that they will desecrate the last vestige of the original masterpiece called EPCOT Center.

Honestly...I wouldn't mind IP if done at the end or worked into a spot that makes sense. Not as a focal point, but as a "modern stories use streaming services and the internet to go out to the world". Even now we have Steamboat Willie in an appropriate place, so maybe they can replace disco server lady with digital communication and streaming media? Its a naked ad for Disney+, but if the ATT future command center wasn't a blatant ad in V2, then I guess I don't know what it was supposed to be.

KBLovedDisney

But a picture of the reimagined SSE has a scene that looked like Moana in silhouette on a Polynesian raft and a translucent light-up sting ray flying over head leading them (which looked like her grandmother's ascended form).

Wait. What?? I missed that. Got a pic or post number?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wait. What?? I missed that. Got a pic or post number?

Maybe Moana...

Phicinfan

Perhaps the start of the journey? As Moana was getting her people back to exploring? I could live with that if that were the case

People complain they don't know Hondo, and so the story of MF:SR is meaningless.

Well, we don't know Seeker either. Some guy we don't know recruiting us for a shady smuggling operation? Therefor, DINOSAUR is awful!!

;)

You can't take something iconic (M-Falcon) and pair it with something virtually unknown (Hondo). It just doesn't work for me (and many others). The ride story is a non-starter as well. It would have been much better to have a well known/beloved non-human character do the intro and make the story something about piloting the MF into a resistance battle or to save/rescue a beloved character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom