News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

KikoKea

I will say this is a larger project than any so far. Quite a bit of civil engineering is involved as well as actual show changes and upgrades. Thus far I’ve heard nothing about IP but we’ll see.
Do you have any idea if it will stay the same theme and traveling through time? Or, is this going to be a whole new attraction, like the change from UoE to GG? SE and LWTL and the last 2 attractions that have some of the old Epcot feel left.

Mainahman

I don’t.

Nor do I trust them with it. And that hurts.

I hope I’m wrong and it’ll all be marvellous. I really do.
And with this, im glad ill be there for a couple days in september to get my "last ride" before the closure. SSE was the very first ride i ever rode at EPCOT way back in 2002, and something i share with my Grandfather.

The Duck

I’ll be there during the first week in December and it’ll probably be my last visit for several years (too friggin expensive).
I’m hoping for the best but prepared for almost anything.

tirian

I don’t.

Nor do I trust them with it. And that hurts.

I hope I’m wrong and it’ll all be marvellous. I really do.
Tbh, even though WDI still occasionally makes impressive attractions such as FOP and Shanghai’s POTC, with their most recent portfolio of work...

(1) the SWGE debacle by creating an ugly land that guests don’t relate to or understand, with hardly anything to do and little capacity anyway

(2) the castle at Shanghai and the park’s overall parking-lot design

(3) low-capacity attractions with operational problems

(4) Pixar Pier and the coaster’s Jack-Jacks on sticks

(5) weird IP decisions (Guardians in Epcot; wonky Mickey used in an attraction that’s replacing the GMR)

(6) cartoons throughout Epcot as the park’s only savior/solution

(7) enormous, unthemed, visible show buildings

(8) extremely elaborate art direction for small and underwhelming ride experiences (Mermaid, Seven Dwarfs, Millennium Falcon, etc.)

(9) tower-box hotels

(10) terrible forced perspective, proportions, and sight lines throughout new projects (New FL castle and the village buildings are too small; SWGE is too big; Toy Story has an inconsistent scale that keeps yanking you out of the suspension of disbelief)

...I’ve given up on every WDI team except the one assigned to the Tokyo resort. It’s as if they’re obsessed with decorations and don’t understand the combination of layered elements that made WDI c.1959–1994 fantastic.

britain

Agreed. I'm 100% fine with SSE going down for 2(+) years if it means the ride can be restored to its glory.

Side note, the earth projection is still so bright that it really lights up the dome.

I'm taking a friend down to WDW later this year and they asked me, "I haven't been there in like 5+ years, what's new". My response, "Well you can actually walk around NFL now, HoP is updated and the new movie is fantastic, Soarin' takes you around the world now, and...M:S doesn't look like a cutscene from a PS2 game...?, and TSL and Avatar is a thing now too". I may have skipped over SWGE as a surprise for them though ;) They're still looking forward to the trip but were disappointed there really wasn't much new stuff compared to the older management. I'm looking forward to new things just because the parks stalled for so freaking long.

The last time I went to WDW was in 2004... and I’m still holding out a little longer before returning so that there’s more new things to do. 😄

eddie104

Tbh, even though WDI still occasionally makes impressive attractions such as FOP and Shanghai’s POTC, with their most recent portfolio of work...

(1) the SWGE debacle by creating an ugly land that guests don’t relate to or understand, with hardly anything to do and little capacity anyway

(2) the castle at Shanghai and the park’s overall parking-lot design

(3) low-capacity attractions with operational problems

(4) Pixar Pier and the coaster’s Jack-Jacks on sticks

(5) weird IP decisions (Guardians in Epcot; wonky Mickey used in an attraction that’s replacing the GMR)

(6) cartoons throughout Epcot as the park’s only savior/solution

(7) enormous, unthemed, visible show buildings

(8) extremely elaborate art direction for small and underwhelming ride experiences (Mermaid, Seven Dwarfs, Millennium Falcon, etc.)

(9) tower-box hotels

(10) terrible forced perspective, proportions, and sight lines throughout new projects (New FL castle and the village buildings are too small; SWGE is too big; Toy Story has an inconsistent scale that keeps yanking you out of the suspension of disbelief)

...I’ve given up on every WDI team except the one assigned to the Tokyo resort. It’s as if they’re obsessed with decorations and don’t understand the combination of layered elements that made WDI c.1959–1994 fantastic.
Some of things you listed are your personal opinion and not fact. Also some of things are very nit picky and not something most people pay attention to. Lastly you contradict yourself at the end.

tirian

Some of things you listed are your personal opinion and not fact. Also some of things are very nit picky and not something most people pay attention to. Lastly you contradict yourself at the end.
Hence why I said, “I’ve given up...”

I never said it was empirical fact. As someone in the industry, I do pay attention to the nit-picky things, and I don’t demand that anyone else should agree with me. Edit: (Because I know I’m being nit-picky.)

E.g. many people don’t mind the unfinished ceilings in Universal stores; I hate them.

I also don’t contradict myself, but whatever.

eddie104

Hence why I said, “I’ve given up...”

I never said it was empirical fact. As someone in the industry, I do pay attention to the nit-picky things, and I don’t demand that anyone else should agree with me.

I also don’t contradict myself, but whatever.
I was just giving a rebuttal like I’m allowed to do on a public forum. Nothing against you but didn’t agree with everything you said.

Kman101

Not really.

And just because things "are not something most people pay attention to" shouldn't be an excuse, that's a cop out.

I pretty much agree 100% with @tirian, who also knows a few things so maybe listen ;)

eddie104

Not really.

And just because things "are not something most people pay attention to" shouldn't be an excuse, that's a cop out.

I pretty much agree 100% with @tirian, who also knows a few things so maybe listen ;)
For some reason just because someone doesn’t follow everyone else it’s a problem. Sorry I have own mind and thoughts and don’t need no one to tell me what to think. I can see with my own eyes when Disney makes mistakes and WDI puts out lackluster projects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom