News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

trainplane3

I recently watched a video of the 1994 version of Spaceship Earth and I believe that may have been the best version (86 version being very close). I'm happy to say I can remember seeing it in person too- it left an impression on me as a kid. I especially loved there being actual scenes on the descent instead of the screens now. I loved all the fiber optics too. I would hope to think that for the next redo they are going to add something back to those sets on the descent- it would seem like the most logical thing.
Very few people will disagree with you on that. '94 was great all around. From what's been mentioned, the refurb may make the ride truly great again.

MattFrees71

I forget where, but I recently saw a comment by someone saying that it would be awesome if they added the Brava Centauri Space Music to 180-top at Spaceship Earth for the redo. I have a feeling they wouldn't go with something "old," but it would sure sound as awesome as ever.

It got me thinking- we all see how Epcot's going in a new direction with attractions like GotG roller coaster, Ratatouille, and Frozen- and yet it is obvious that to a degree, Disney has taken into account classic Epcot nostalgia (Epcot Forever, retro entrance features coming soon) I know this is basically fantasizing, but what if in this SE refurb, they inject some classic Epcot nostalgia and even pay homage to previous attractions. It'd be cool if they incorporated a Horizons-esque home of the future scene, or something from Universe of Energy or World of Motion (it wouldn't have to necessarily be entire scenes that change the overall theme of SE though). Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if they continue with the "basically the same just a refresh" or go quite different with this refurb. One thing's for sure, I hope they add some physical scenes to the descent area and get rid of those ridiculous curtains.

Dragonman

I forget where, but I recently saw a comment by someone saying that it would be awesome if they added the Brava Centauri Space Music to 180-top at Spaceship Earth for the redo. I have a feeling they wouldn't go with something "old," but it would sure sound as awesome as ever.

It got me thinking- we all see how Epcot's going in a new direction with attractions like GotG roller coaster, Ratatouille, and Frozen- and yet it is obvious that to a degree, Disney has taken into account classic Epcot nostalgia (Epcot Forever, retro entrance features coming soon) I know this is basically fantasizing, but what if in this SE refurb, they inject some classic Epcot nostalgia and even pay homage to previous attractions. It'd be cool if they incorporated a Horizons-esque home of the future scene, or something from Universe of Energy or World of Motion (it wouldn't have to necessarily be entire scenes that change the overall theme of SE though). Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if they continue with the "basically the same just a refresh" or go quite different with this refurb. One thing's for sure, I hope they add some physical scenes to the descent area and get rid of those ridiculous curtains.

The old physical scenes and pepper’s ghost effects from the 94 version are still there behind the curtains.

aladdin2007

The epcot forever thing is really a temporary eulogy to say come enjoy old epcot one last time because you will never hear/see these things again. Im glad they are doing it but wish it was going to be permanent instead of more dang forced ip...the new entrance center etc, ripping out fountains for beer gardens and drinking sales and the like is just another version of disney springs to me so Im not the most hopeful right now as thats all they seem to be geared towards forgetting these are themeparks....... I def like your ideas and certainly agree with that last sentence..... Im thinking however this refurb is going to be very very different and unexpected and I can not imagine at this point IP not being chuffed in it? I hope not more than anything, but this is chapekcot and chapekworld...only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is awesome planet being non ip.... I just feel that the path they are going with everything else makes me skeptical about the refurb. But lets hope people who get it, if they are any left, are involved.

Clamman73

Dragonman

Even though I know it shouldn't happen- I really hope that somehow pictures of the 1994 descent scenes as they are today surfaces sometime before they are ultimately dismantled.

I swear I saw photos in a thread on here before. At least one of the dark unlit cityscape and a couple of the peppers ghost figures

BEARSHOUSE4

Any updates here? Planning a trip for end of January 2020. Taking first timers and now I’m nervous they will miss SSE. My absolute favorite!!!

QuasiNoFroyo

I have a hunch that they'll close down SSE once they open up Awesome Planet, the new China and Canada films, and that Beauty and the Beast sing-along show at the France pavilion in 2020.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom