News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is there a summary of this so I don't have to read through 60 pages for all the notes? I don't want to ask or re-ask a million questions. Like, is Rome burning gonna remain? Are they keeping most old scenes and adding newer ones?

Summary:

Either by the end of this year or early next year, SE will undergo a thorough refurb most likely including replacing the tracks and cars themselves. This will take 2-3 years. Most of the dioramas will be the same, but some will be updated, especially the latter ones and descent. The whole area around SE will be reconfigured for thematic queue and probably no more game room at the exit. No one knows who will be the narrator, and probably Disney won't know for a year or two. This thread is already too full of suggestions.

For more summaries:

Epcot_Imagineer

I call upon Mom to wield her powers to remove all narrator posts. How I suggest she go about it:

kurtk

Summary:

Either by the end of this year or early next year, SE will undergo a thorough refurb most likely including replacing the tracks and cars themselves. This will take 2-3 years. Most of the dioramas will be the same, but some will be updated, especially the latter ones and descent. The whole area around SE will be reconfigured for thematic queue and probably no more game room at the exit. No one knows who will be the narrator, and probably Disney won't know for a year or two. This thread is already too full of suggestions.

For more summaries:

So happy you keep that updated. Thanks for doing it.

SoupBone

Summary:

For more summaries:

Great work, thanks for the link!

Dragonman

Something I was thinking about the other day...

When they’re working on 180 Top do you think there’s a chance they’ll rescue window girl and reuse her somehow ? or do you think they’ll just not even know that she’s even there and destroy her with the space station structure?

SoupBone

Something I was thinking about the other day...

When they’re working on 180 Top do you think there’s a chance they’ll rescue window girl and reuse her somehow ? or do you think they’ll just not even know that she’s even there and destroy her with the space station structure?

Do you have a pic for reference?

LittleBuford

I love it! Except no one named Jolene could ride comfortably....

So long as she keeps her hands off Dolly's man, she'd be as welcome as anyone else. :)

I think James Earl Jones would be an obvious pick.

I for one am hoping for something a little different. Judi Dench represented a move away from the deep voice of godlike authority, and I'd like to hear something even fresher in the next iteration.

wishiwere@wdw

Anybody know if perhaps they started cleaning Spaceship Earth? I noticed today there was a very defined line of cleanliness on the lower section and one section that went up just a bit.

Sorry for the really crappy photo. Perhaps somebody will grab a shot in good sun with a real camera (or less crappy phone)

Attachments

• F71C55F0-41DE-4064-9FB3-DF86114A4588.jpeg
    F71C55F0-41DE-4064-9FB3-DF86114A4588.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 189

SoupBone

Um no but if you read THE thread you’ll hear she’s still up there sealed in the cone part of the space station without her skin and clothing

I read it but all those links to photos are dead. I wish there was an updated one. I'm trying to see if I even recall it being there. My first trip was 1985, but I was really young. Not sure I would remember it.

brettf22

Premium Member
I read it but all those links to photos are dead. I wish there was an updated one.

Don’t have a pic of what she looked like when operational, but during my last trip a couple of months ago, I rode an almost empty SSE, and it actually stopped right under the old space station. Since there was nobody in the vehicles around me, I grabbed this pic.

MattFrees71

I recently watched a video of the 1994 version of Spaceship Earth and I believe that may have been the best version (86 version being very close). I'm happy to say I can remember seeing it in person too- it left an impression on me as a kid. I especially loved there being actual scenes on the descent instead of the screens now. I loved all the fiber optics too. I would hope to think that for the next redo they are going to add something back to those sets on the descent- it would seem like the most logical thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom