News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You missed the first part of that line... "But will these seemingly infinite communications become a flood of electronic babble? Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation on this, our Spaceship Earth."

I think we chose the former...

I know, my fingers don't type quite that fast. :) I'm listening to the Cronkite version now, just finished the full Irons version. I'm at the "Tomorrow's Child" part...

And boy, was the former ever chosen by the majority of people out there... "Someday, I hope we'll see how bad of an idea social media was" - Frank Abagnale in a speech given at my company's HQ a few weeks ago.

ppete1975

wait... we could have a peaceful look back at our earth.. and then you see alien spacecraft coming for us... or millions of space scenes in previous or upcoming movies.. think of the IP possibilities!!!

QuasiNoFroyo

Just take the cringe worthy screens off of the vehicles and anything else they do is a bonus
Refer to one of the comments I made a few pages back and you'll see why removing those screens wouldn't really be the best idea for Disney. I'm certainly not the biggest fan of those screens either (and they should really get rid of that stupid cartoon thing at the end), but there is actually a highly logical reason as to why the screens themselves shouldn't be removed entirely.

MickeyMinnieMom

I haven't used Twitter in over five years...it is the worst of all the social media platforms.
It's useful in getting out breaking news and views skeptical about what the standard networks are sharing as a narrative -- as long as you're careful about what sources you trust.

Outside of that, it does seem to bring out the worst in people and be filled with a lot of junk.

Bender123

It's useful in getting out breaking news and views skeptical about what the standard networks are sharing as a narrative -- as long as you're careful about what sources you trust.

Outside of that, it does seem to bring out the worst in people and be filled with a lot of junk.

The problem is the networks do their "journalism" based off Twitter...When I see columns that list "Opinions on Twitter were" with a list of hot takes, I immediately think this is the internet version of having your news reported by the "I aint got time for dat!" lady.

The whole idea of reporting is to verify the idiots, not to just parrot them.

MickeyMinnieMom

The problem is the networks do their "journalism" based off Twitter...When I see columns that list "Opinions on Twitter were" with a list of hot takes, I immediately think this is the internet version of having your news reported by the "I aint got time for dat!" lady.

The whole idea of reporting is to verify the idiots, not to just parrot them.
My last OT post on this: Agree 100%!! I think the worst part is "journalists" hamming it up and blurring the lines to get more followers... parlaying their "fame" into late night show appearances, etc. -- "celebrity journalists" -- ugh.

montyz81

Does anyone know if there will be a sponsor for SSE after the next rehab? Since I now work for Verizon, it would be cool if we sponsored it. That would be a far more relevant sponsor considering the company's consumer-oriented business.

trainplane3

My gut feeling is that Disney is not planning on having a sponsor for SSE, but I have zero inside knowledge so that is just speculation.
When asked a while ago, Martin said it was "not AMD" so some of us were guessing Intel or even Qualcomm.
Illuminations: version six, not sponsored by AMD.
It's obviously going to be the superior CPU manufacturer and is completely relevant to the regular consumer: IBM. :p
Assuming it’s Windows based of course.

Edit: Oh crap, this is the SSE thread not the RoE replacement thread. I'll leave this here just because but it isn't relevant to SSE.
Edit 2: Wait Siemens sponsored SSE and RoE. Maybe it'll be the same package deal again?

Last edited:

Calm Down Rover

Glaring parallels to social media aside, the ambiguity of the "electronic babble" line did so much to elevate the attraction, in my opinion. It established that the future isn't just some nebulous concept, but a real challenge with real consequences. The current script, on the other hand, reuses the phrase "inventing the future" to the point where it inspires nothing but annoyance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom