News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

AEfx

How about Neil Degrasse Tyson, he has the perfect voice for a ride like this. Or any ride at Epcot.

Probably not the best choice right now, as he has been wrangled into #metoo.

I still stick with what I said a decade or so ago on here when the last big refurb happened - the Patrick Stewart rumors were music to my ears, I think he would be the perfect choice and still do.

Tick Tock

If the price is right.. hell, I'll do it. No one ever will replace Walter Cronkite.... end of discussion.
I'd hire you if I was in a position of such authority. Though I'd need to examine some of your credentials and talents for the duties at hand. For instance, in a few short sentences, can you please tell me a random fact about the Phoenicians, and their historical significance on how you learned the ABC's?

WhatTheDisney94

How about Neil Degrasse Tyson, he has the perfect voice for a ride like this. Or any ride at Epcot.

Like a grand and miraculous fckin spaceship, our planet has sailed through the fckin universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always fckin sought to reach out to one another. To bridge the fckin gaps between us. To communicate.

Personally, I too have always thought of Tyson as a suitable narrator for Spaceship Earth , especially after viewing the Cosmos series he hosted. He would be my vote.

Goofyernmost

I'd hire you if I was in a position of such authority. Though I'd need to examine some of your credentials and talents for the duties at hand. For instance, in a few short sentences, can you please tell me a random fact about the Phoenicians, and their historical significance on how you learned the ABC's?
Sure, no problem. Random Fact: After being a lost civilization for centuries they mysteriously were referenced in, of all places, a theme park in Florida. How bazaar is that?

Historically, upon seeing that short, but, enlightening, segment where it was mentioned that they were the creators of the Alphabet, it drove me to wonder, historically, how something like that gets established. I mean when it was first introduced the only person or persons that had a clue as to what it was were the person or persons that created it. How many centuries did it take to educate the masses as to its translation and why would they have even tried to find out? First everyone had to learn the sounds of each letter and then have some type of logic when applying those sounds to create an written image the made sense. For example, if they created a sign in their trade ports that read... "Cash only no Credit Cards accepted." How would anyone know what that meant. That is the history that I would like to know.

As for myself... All I remember about it is that the teacher passed out sheets of paper with ridiculously large spaced lines with what appeared to be chunks of wood still floating in it. Then I was told to copy each letter about a gazillion times. When we did finally get around to combining those letters to make a word my biggest question was who decided that the word 'write' should start with a W.

So... when do I report for the spiel recording? Oh, and can we find a way to include "Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas." somewhere in the script? BTW, anyone that knows me also knows that it is virtually impossible for me to do anything thing in a few short sentences.

Last edited:

Tick Tock

Sure, no problem. Random Fact: After being a lost civilization for centuries they mysteriously were referenced in, of all places, a theme park in Florida. How bazaar is that?

Historically, upon seeing that short, but, enlightening, segment where it was mentioned that they were the creators of the Alphabet, it drove me to wonder, historically, how something like that gets established. I mean when it was first introduced the only person or persons that had a clue as to what it was were the person or persons that created it. How many centuries did it take to educate the masses as to its translation and why would they have even tried to find out? First everyone had to learn the sounds of each letter and then have some type of logic when applying those sounds to create an written image the made sense. For example, if they created a sign in their trade ports that read... "Cash only no Credit Cards accepted." How would anyone know what that meant. That is the history that I would like to know.

As for myself... All I remember about it is that the teacher passed out sheets of paper with ridiculously large spaced lines with what appeared to be chunks of wood still floating in it. Then I was told to copy each letter about a gazillion times. When we did finally get around to combining those letters to make a word my biggest question was who decided that the word 'write' should start with a W.

So... when do I report for the spiel recording? Oh, and can we find a way to include "Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas." somewhere in the script? BTW, anyone that knows me also knows that it is virtually impossible for me to do anything thing in a few short sentences.
I mean, we may have to include a lengthy ride pause for this segment to play out, but you know your stuff.

Report to casting offices on Wednesday. Drink plenty of fluids and get good rest beforehand, so your voice is in top condition for the recording. We're only doing one take on this.

ppete1975

If they don't change the descent... I would be ok if they removed the screens (or darkened them during this time) had it pitch black with just stars, shooting stars.. planets... with the earth getting farther and farther away.then carl sagan and pale blue dot or something like it. Would be the perfect ending, and make you leave the ride feeling like old epcot did (inspired). Remember.. it is spaceship earth..

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

Pirate665

"That Spaceship Earth ride may have been nearly an hour and a half long, but I really felt like I learned something. Especially when it came to that rant on the way back down on who gave whom the right to dictate how language is formed..."

MMFanCipher

Carrie fisher using old audio pieced together. The death star is the story of the skywalkers. First scene meeting ani. Second pod racing. Third leaves mom (dialogue “hate sand, thank tattoine”. Fourth becomes a Padawan” fifth love affair w padme. Fifth kills padawans. Sixth lava. Seventh becomes darth vader. Eighth luke getting lightsaber from ben. Ninth rescues leia. 10th im your father. 11th vader dies. 12th endoor pyre scene. You descend to video clips and tge star wars theme. Exit to gift shop.
View attachment 350765

The Horror! The Horror!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why, after a history lesson on advances in communication, is there a "hey, look, there's our planet!" scene at all? One would think, by it's name, that Spaceship Earth would be about us being one people on one planet rather than a lesson on technical aspects of communication. Why not a history of all the things that connect us which is more than communication?

ppete1975

Why, after a history lesson on advances in communication, is there a "hey, look, there's our planet!" scene at all? One would think, by it's name, that Spaceship Earth would be about us being one people on one planet rather than a lesson on technical aspects of communication. Why not a history of all the things that connect us which is more than communication?
I think historically, epcot gave you the feeling at the end of rides that we together can make the world a better place. And several of the rides kind of gave you hope. Energy, the land, the seas as examples wom we are all going to have flying cars until then I'm going to buy chevy. Spaceship earth although about communication was also the hub of the park so should just give you an overall good feeling about your place in the world. But now who gives a crap maybe it should be used as a place to show the trailer of the next Disney movie.

Bender123

...because the theme is communication IS what brings us together. Despite 100s of different languages and dialects, we can literally talk to just about any person on the globe in an instant. Even with those languages, communication technology has come far enough to allow almost real time translation (just try using google translate with a pair of supported headphones...its truly fantastic). The history we see, in SE, is the way that steps in communication have brought us all together. Voice allowed us to form groups that worked together. Cave Paintings allowed our learning to be generational. Paper allowed communication to travel at distances. Phoenician alphabets allowed different languages to use a common system of writing. Books and the printing press allowed people all over the world to handle, read and own information which had been limited to a wealthy few. TV, radio and computers allow us to instantly view and interact around the world.

The image of the Earth represents that the Earth is a single point and we are now "connected" in a way our ancestors would never have been able to conceive of...Its a "Spaceship" called Earth and we are together on it...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Because originally there were two communications satellites (and originally planned the moonbase)?

Bender123

The next script should include a line about using the various communications tools at our disposal to usher in a new age of understanding and cooperation. Oh wait...

The Irons script absolutely knocked it out of the park. Profound, insightful, and ahead of its time.

You missed the first part of that line... "But will these seemingly infinite communications become a flood of electronic babble? Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation on this, our Spaceship Earth."

I think we chose the former...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom