News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Bender123

Done. Already a grand and miraculous spaceship.
Also, I know its probably an unpopular opinion, but I love the score for the current version of SSE.

I agree...My rankings of SE take three different phases (the scenes on the way up haven't changed enough to affect any score for me) ranked in order after the category:
  1. Score/Music
    1. Irons
    2. Dench
    3. Cronkite (I love it, but its so dated...)
    4. V1
  2. Narration
    1. Cronkite
    2. Irons
    3. Dench
    4. V1
  3. Ending
    1. Irons
    2. Cronkite
    3. V1
    4. Dench
Version 1 was reallllllly boring. Cronkite and Irons were both fantastic versions that I cant really decide between. Dench is just "Meh" with really nice music.

JohnD

I agree...My rankings of SE take three different phases (the scenes on the way up haven't changed enough to affect any score for me) ranked in order after the category:
  1. Score/Music
    1. Irons
    2. Dench
    3. Cronkite (I love it, but its so dated...)
    4. V1
  2. Narration
    1. Cronkite
    2. Irons
    3. Dench
    4. V1
  3. Ending
    1. Irons
    2. Cronkite
    3. V1
    4. Dench
Version 1 was reallllllly boring. Cronkite and Irons were both fantastic versions that I cant really decide between. Dench is just "Meh" with really nice music.

If by "ending" you mean the part going down backwards, yeah, it's pretty stale. The screen variation of the 1980s books Choose Your Own Adventure is getting old fast.

Bender123

If by "ending" you mean the part going down backwards, yeah, it's pretty stale. The screen variation of the 1980s books Choose Your Own Adventure is getting old fast.

Ive said it many times before...I actually like the cute little video. I think its really fun and an interesting diversion. what I don't like is that its on the end of an epic and awe inspiring ride. I liken it to putting a pie joke at the end of Citizen Kane...It may be funny, but the poor placement wrecks everything that came before it. Same if you stuck a graphic rape/murder at the end of Airplane!!. It just leaves you feeling...wrong...

You are supposed to come out with a sense of awe and instead leave with your last memory being a low budget Jetsons rip off. Had that been a post ride activity, it would be great. As it stands, its horrible.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Can someone confirm the expect date SSE would be down? I would think it would go down after Guardians or Rat opens but post #1 says that the Site that shall not be named expects it go down in 2020. You would think something else would open to disperse crowds to the alternative.
The date is not known; however, this post by Martin last Thursday started all the talk about later this year, early next year

"marni1971 said:

Now I can talk a little.

If you like the Phoenicians get a ride in this year.

There’s a lot of work going to be done."

montyz81

Now I can talk a little.

If you like the Phoenicians get a ride in this year.

There’s a lot of work going to be done.
It sounds like "A lot" means the ride is going to change significantly to some IP based attraction but using the same track and including more screens then AAs. Is that an accurate statement @marni1971 . Yep, I am reading way into your statement based on the new normal at WDW.

Epcot_Imagineer

I’m expecting each scene to be overhauled. I’m also expecting several scenes to be changed. And a new descent. Story wise I can’t comment at the moment.

I also expect big changes about how or where you get on and get off.

But by the love of god if they shove IP into this attraction.... and I’m not religious.

@montyz81, Here is a quote from Martin a couple pages back, make of it what you will.

montyz81

Saw this in the Ratatouille thread and came to the SSE thread to cry.
The only saving grace to all these changes is that they are taking years to do it so we can all experience some of the remaining EC shadows for a little while longer.

It feels like everything Iger said about how the changes in Epcot are moving back to the original theming will be done through passing mentions rather than a real "back to its roots kind of thing". So so disappointing!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It feels like everything Iger said about how the changes in Epcot are moving back to the original theming will be done through passing mentions rather than a real "back to its roots kind of thing". So so disappointing!

Sadly, some of us expected no more than passing mentions from Iger and his minions. He cares not one iota about "theme park fans", only the numbers on a spreadsheet (and in his bank account). Harsh but that's the reality of it.

cheezbat

Done. Already a grand and miraculous spaceship.
Also, I know its probably an unpopular opinion, but I love the score for the current version of SSE.
honestly, I think the current soundtrack is my favorite for Spaceship earth. There’s just something about it that it has...that the other versions just didn’t have. Not that the older versions were bad or anything, they were all good...but the current one was just ‘IT’ for me.

prberk

I would also counter that spread out gigantic resorts, like CBR, are not really efficient for guests or the company...Im a fan of CBR and stay there almost every trip. The problem is that the difference between staying in a village close to OPR and one that is distant is huge. towers actually better for keeping guests "close to the resort amenities". I can honestly say that a stay at Trinidad South might as well be a different resort, as its a nightmare to get to your resort stores, restaurants and theme pool. Ive been in that village for a week and never once went to OPR during that time.

On the flip side, a lot of people hate the Graves designed towers, even though I find them fascinating...I guess what matters more than the look of the tower, is the feel of the surroundings and resort. The Dolphin looks weird and unique, but that doesn't make it a well themed resort...I just makes it a unique looking standard hotel.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I understand you.

I think the reference standard can be the Polynesian: a large, well-themed resort (even despite the Hilton-lobby upgrade). Same is true of Fort Wilderness.

I just think that they don't want to spend the money any more. To announce a concrete monstrosity next to Fort Wilderness and call it "nature-inspired" is the worst offender I have seen so far.

And size is not my main complaint. It is going to the effort of immersive theming where they can. I still love the look inside of the '50s Primetime Café. They got it right, on a small scale; and both Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion both got it right on the large scale.

Spaceship Earth is an example where the entire ride is themed well (originally) and yet had a functional switchback line -- but because of the omnimover ride style that keeps people moving, the swichbacks are not that bad. Could they have done something better and inside with the ride, probably; is it terrible the way the whole thing is right now, not so much. So, I can see that as an example of when "picking and choosing" when to completely theme the queue or any area is an open and worthwhile discussion.

Bocabear

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I understand you.

I think the reference standard can be the Polynesian: a large, well-themed resort (even despite the Hilton-lobby upgrade). Same is true of Fort Wilderness.

I just think that they don't want to spend the money any more. To announce a concrete monstrosity next to Fort Wilderness and call it "nature-inspired" is the worst offender I have seen so far.

And size is not my main complaint. It is going to the effort of immersive theming where they can. I still love the look inside of the '50s Primetime Café. They got it right, on a small scale; and both Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion both got it right on the large scale.

Spaceship Earth is an example where the entire ride is themed well (originally) and yet had a functional switchback line -- but because of the omnimover ride style that keeps people moving, the swichbacks are not that bad. Could they have done something better and inside with the ride, probably; is it terrible the way the whole thing is right now, not so much. So, I can see that as an example of when "picking and choosing" when to completely theme the queue or any area is an open and worthwhile discussion.
Also, you are standing beneath a gigantic geodesic sphere in the entrance concourse af an extremely futuristic park...in the case of Spaceship Earth, the architecture really is the theming for the queue...As is stands, and as it was at the opening, a storyline prior to boarding is completely unnecessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom