News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Thelazer

To be honest, to scrap the ride system type would be a vastly difficult thing to do. One of the (many) reasons Time Racers didn’t happen. Not only are some of the climbs very steep, having anything that’s not a linked chain of vehicles throws up all kinds of issues about a suitable and failsafe way of preventing rollback.

Rollback? That's EASILY a fixable problem.

Thelazer

On my phone right now, so can’t pull up any of the blueprints, but I remember thinking the ascent/descent are simply too steep for an AGV. Every AGV ride Disney has implemented, that I can think of, has been on a flat surface. I just think the chain/wheels/tension/track is necessary for keeping the ride safe on inclines. Now if an incline-safe AGV could be figured out, I would be all for it. Certainly could fix the problem of ADA compliant ride vehicles.

EDIT: By compliant vehicles, I mean getting rid of the stop/start we’re all so used to now.

Think Transformers ride at Uni.
No reason something like that couldn't be installed here to get you up a few levels.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If they ran the system backwards, they could actually incorporate a lift hill, then add some banks to the decent and lots of braking coming down into the current first ascent. (I can’t believe I’m saying this!)
There will be no coaster in SSE. That’s the one and only single thing to be thankful for about the mistake next door. Apparently.

Epcot_Imagineer

Think Transformers ride at Uni.
No reason something like that couldn't be installed here to get you up a few levels.
Forgive me, but I’m not as familiar with Uni systems as I am with Disney. I thought Transformers was a reskined Spiderman, which again is a flat-surfaced ride, if I’m not mistaken. I’m not saying SSE doesn’t have the size for such a ride system, it just doesn’t have the capability for the ascent/descent of such a ride system. The interior of SSE is a corkscrew; to get to the “beginning” of the corkscrew you have to go up a steep incline. To get down from the top of the corkscrew, another steep incline. There is a likely way to get the vehicles and passengers from bottom to top/top to bottom, but it would cost far too much to implement.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Forgive me, but I’m not as familiar with Uni systems as I am with Disney. I thought Transformers was a reskined Spiderman, which again is a flat-surfaced ride, if I’m not mistaken. I’m not saying SSE doesn’t have the size for such a ride system, it just doesn’t have the capability for the ascent/descent of such a ride system. The interior of SSE is a corkscrew; to get to the “beginning” of the corkscrew you have to go up a steep incline. To get down from the top of the corkscrew, another steep incline. There is a likely way to get the vehicles and passengers from bottom to top/top to bottom, but it would cost far too much to implement.
Transformers has two levels and two sets of elevators. This type of system isn’t coming to SSE.

Goofyernmost

I believe that Spiderman was one floor and Transformers was two, however, as a rider, I noticed no difference in elevation that was artificial created with screens in Spiderman. I got off the Transformers ride and remember thinking that it was almost exactly the same story with different scenery, but, basically the same story. At least that is what it felt like to me.

GlacierGlacier

I believe that Spiderman was one floor and Transformers was two, however, as a rider, I noticed no difference in elevation that was artificial created with screens in Spiderman. I got off the Transformers ride and remember thinking that it was almost exactly the same story with different scenery, but, basically the same story. At least that is what it felt like to me.
When building transformers originally, the engineers were given a limited plot of land. No matter how they laid out the track, they always ended up with a ride time about half of what was desired. The solution? The elevators. Now, they didn't want to use the elevators in the story or as a ride effect, simply a tool to get more space, so the transition while in elevators is as smooth as possible.

I've been shown a few official videos of the ride system in operation with lights on and the systems running, and it's quite an impressive thing to behold.

But yeah, the system feels too similar to Spider-Man for being so close.

Goofyernmost

When building transformers originally, the engineers were given a limited plot of land. No matter how they laid out the track, they always ended up with a ride time about half of what was desired. The solution? The elevators. Now, they didn't want to use the elevators in the story or as a ride effect, simply a tool to get more space, so the transition while in elevators is as smooth as possible.

I've been shown a few official videos of the ride system in operation with lights on and the systems running, and it's quite an impressive thing to behold.

But yeah, the system feels too similar to Spider-Man for being so close.
I don't deny it's existence or it's reason for being, but, I didn't know anything about that elevator when I rode it and nothing clued me into that type of transition, so well done Uni! I just noticed that it had the same feel as Spiderman just with different characters. I also might add that there wasn't much more then 20 minutes between experiences. Not so much the way to go Uni!

Thelazer

I don't deny it's existence or it's reason for being, but, I didn't know anything about that elevator when I rode it and nothing clued me into that type of transition, so well done Uni! I just noticed that it had the same feel as Spiderman just with different characters. I also might add that there wasn't much more then 20 minutes between experiences. Not so much the way to go Uni!

It IS that smooth and well done..

Goofyernmost

It IS that smooth and well done..
Right, that's what I said... I didn't even notice any physical elevation change. My only negative is that when I rode it, with no advanced notice of mechanical changes all I saw was the same thing as Spidy with different character, but, the same sense of danger and the same happy ending and the same heat blasting, etc. To me they were both good, but, very much alike in feel.

JoeCamel

If they put the queue and entrance where the exit is now you then have an airconditioned queue with built in games. They are big on queue games right? or was that the last batch of imagineers?

yensidtlaw1969

If they put the queue and entrance where the exit is now you then have an airconditioned queue with built in games. They are big on queue games right? or was that the last batch of imagineers?
The Interactive Queue movement seems to have proved to be more trouble than it's worth - the games that were installed in Space Mountain have since been shut off, and the featured that were due to be installed in the Pirates queue never ended up seeing the light of day. The elements in other attractions always seem to be in various states of repair. At this point it's been several years since we've seen an interactive queue added to an attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Interactive Queue movement seems to have proved to be more trouble than it's worth - the games that were installed in Space Mountain have since been shut off, and the featured that were due to be installed in the Pirates queue never ended up seeing the light of day. The elements in other attractions always seem to be in various states of repair. At this point it's been several years since we've seen an interactive queue added to an attraction.
Why fork out for shiny queue toys when everyone is buried in their phone anyway? Boost the WiFi, make a preshow app and think of the money you can save.

flyerjab

@marni1971 , not to be a negative Nancy here, but would it really surprise anyone if IP made its way into this seemingly complete and total rebuild? And I am not as bothered by some of the park changes as are others, but even I will hope this ride does not go that way. In fact, I also hope the interactive screens are removed to get rid of that silly concept.

This should be a ride where the original theme and intent are untouchable throughout time. Just like CoP in Tomorrow Land. It can always be refurbed and properly updated. Narrator change - Cumberbatch please - is fine. But no gross misuse of IP.

The one in-park IP I have been waiting on to make an appearance since Chapek’s promotion, is S.E.A. And this park, or DAK, are the parks where I see it happening. I can almost hear a S.E.A member (or members) narrating this ride, or even appearing throughout the ascent/descent. Especially if they are radically changing the load/unload areas. Hopefully they don’t feel the need to do this and keep this ride as a true homage to classic EPCOT Center.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Why fork out for shiny queue toys when everyone is buried in their phone anyway? Boost the WiFi, make a preshow app and think of the money you can save.
Is that is the plan or just your opinion?
Our family loves the in-line games on Disney Play. Games like the one for TSMM make the line seem to go fast and the family is actively doing something together. If someone does not like the game you can simply not play, the line does not seem to be held up with the phone games like the former.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom