News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Epcot_Imagineer

I’m expecting each scene to be overhauled. I’m also expecting several scenes to be changed. And a new descent. Story wise I can’t comment at the moment.

I also expect big changes about how or where you get on and get off.

But by the love of god if they shove IP into this attraction.... and I’m not religious.
By new descent are we talking an improved starfield (finally) or something radically different?

Epcot_Imagineer

Here are my predictions based on what you have said. Since it is known the ride system will be getting attention, perhaps we will see a completely new system that slows down, speeds up, or completely stops at certain scenes. (Think the current version of Imagination, but vastly improved.) For example, perhaps instead of slowly moving past all the scenes as we currently do, we would stop in certain locations and historic moments would play out in more detail than ever before. I also expect the ride vehicles to change to single units (example would be Dinosaur, not necessarily the same type of vehicle though) as opposed to an Omnimover. Maybe the entire backstory will change, keeping the basic world history aspect but expanding on the "time machine" aspect and creating a true time travel backstory. Regarding load/unload, my guess is that where the outdoor queue is currently, the load will move there with the entrance rerouted to the current Project Tomorrow location. I'm getting really excited for this project. I just hope they don't remove the iconic mural.
I mean, I’m by no means an insider - defer to marni - but I still expect the same ride system. A re-design of the track or layout, but I still expect an omnimover, simply for the high pph. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Epcot_Imagineer

I'm obviously no insider either, I was simply guessing at what may be planned. But Martin has said this is a very big project, so I am highly doubtful the Omnimover system will stay based on his comments. I could be wrong, but to me it sounds like Disney wants to bring Spaceship Earth into the 21st century, which would probably mean updating the ride system to something more cutting edge. I do love Omnimovers though, so I would not be against the current system remaining.
On my phone right now, so can’t pull up any of the blueprints, but I remember thinking the ascent/descent are simply too steep for an AGV. Every AGV ride Disney has implemented, that I can think of, has been on a flat surface. I just think the chain/wheels/tension/track is necessary for keeping the ride safe on inclines. Now if an incline-safe AGV could be figured out, I would be all for it. Certainly could fix the problem of ADA compliant ride vehicles.

EDIT: By compliant vehicles, I mean getting rid of the stop/start we’re all so used to now.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be honest, to scrap the ride system type would be a vastly difficult thing to do. One of the (many) reasons Time Racers didn’t happen. Not only are some of the climbs very steep, having anything that’s not a linked chain of vehicles throws up all kinds of issues about a suitable and failsafe way of preventing rollback.

trainplane3

For the descent, I would hope that at the least they get new black bedsheets to hang on the walls.
They can have mine. They're dark blue but would work.

Wait. No. I don't feel comfortable with a black light shining on them.
To be honest, to scrap the ride system type would be a vastly difficult thing to do. One of the (many) reasons Time Racers didn’t happen. Not only are some of the climbs very steep, having anything that’s not a linked chain of vehicles throws up all kinds of issues about a suitable and failsafe way of preventing rollback.
With how often I question they care about "show" (maintenance), I'm surprised they wouldn't just stick a chain lift with a extra loud anti-rollback mechanism because it's cheaper then drive tires or magnets.

Goofyernmost

I’m thinking different to what’s currently there.
My hope is that the view of the big blue marble will remain. That has always been my favorite part and the place where I always hope for a lengthy stop. However, being realistic if they shut that down at the end of this year for two or more years, That will put me at about 74 years old and at the rate of failure of my back, I probably won't be able to see it anyway. Right now I am tentatively wanting to go this November and I will admit that I will make the effort just because I want to see SSE again before any changes are made.

montyz81

If they ran the system backwards, they could actually incorporate a lift hill, then add some banks to the decent and lots of braking coming down into the current first ascent. (I can’t believe I’m saying this!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom