• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
The latter of which will be around for a good time yet I’m glad to say as of something I heard today.

The former we’d hope will be too.
You don't have to say, but I'm guessing you heard they're going ahead with filming new scenes.

Have you heard about any changes to the theater to accommodate the alternating Impressions with the BatB Singalong?

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Advertisement
Have you heard about any changes to the theater to accommodate the alternating Impressions with the BatB Singalong?
I’ve heard minimal to virtually no changes. Aside from the projection side of things.

Could be a cast member stood on a box.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Serious question- as much as some of us dislike Chapek, could he be the one to thank for the major investments in the parks? It's not just WDW. WDSP, HKDL, SHDL, TDL, TDS, and DCA are all facing expansions in the near future, with Runaway Railway rumored for Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. Someone somewhere is obviously willing to invest quite a bit.
WDW was always due. NextGen was a major capital suck, combined with the DCA overhaul, plus the Dream and the Fantasy. What we're seeing is catch-up from the early 2010s.

jt04

Serious question- as much as some of us dislike Chapek, could he be the one to thank for the major investments in the parks? It's not just WDW. WDSP, HKDL, SHDL, TDL, TDS, and DCA are all facing expansions in the near future, with Runaway Railway rumored for Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. Someone somewhere is obviously willing to invest quite a bit.
Pretty sure Iger should get the credit. But that doesn't fit the talking points script here and elsewhere so nobody will give credit where it is due. With few exceptions.

flyerjab

I said it a while back - MK will be 50th centric. Other parks will get the prerequisite bunting.
Martin, the one thing that confuses me is that if MK is only getting one new ride by 2021, how is it considered MK centric. To the uninitiated, it appears as though more has been done and will be done, especially to DHS and Epcot, leading up to the 50th. Whereas MK is getting Tron, as far as major attractions are concerned. Is everything else being refurbed/changed/added to help pull guests away from MK during its 50th anniversary?

Epcot_Imagineer

Tangent here -- I am curious why more World Showcase theaters don't go the route of swapping between Country Films and IP. The way France seems to be going (swapping between BatB and Impressions) is an ingenious way to make the park more kid-friendly and boost theater attendance, all while keeping Epcot purists relatively happy for what I assume is a fairly modest price. @marni1971 can I ask if you know of any plans to implement this in other pavilions, or just France for now?

Bender123

Pretty sure Iger should get the credit. But that doesn't fit the talking points script here and elsewhere so nobody will give credit where it is due. With few exceptions.
Iger should get some credit...but its more due to business than his desire to be known as a savior of the parks. Remember, he has let the parks languish for almost his entire tenure and much of the reason there is so much happening now, is due to almost nothing happening over the past 10-15 years.

You also need to remember he is not on good terms with anybody from Uni/Comcast and having Uni make massive gains on WDW in the attendance ratings was a personal sting that a guy like Iger wasn't likely to accept. His thoughts on the parks for a decade was "People will come because its Disney"...until they didn't.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Martin, the one thing that confuses me is that if MK is only getting one new ride by 2021, how is it considered MK centric. To the uninitiated, it appears as though more has been done and will be done, especially to DHS and Epcot, leading up to the 50th. Whereas MK is getting Tron, as far as major attractions are concerned. Is everything else being refurbed/changed/added to help pull guests away from MK during its 50th anniversary?
The things MK will be getting for the 50th:
  • a new fireworks show or a revised HEA
  • a new night time 'electric' parade
  • a new day time parade or a revised FoF
  • the completion of the Tomorrowland refresh
  • TRON Light Cycles
  • TRON Racers (a thematic refresh of Speedway, if the budget holds)
  • most assuredly a new castle show
  • probably a new Move It Shake it with a company-wide theme
  • definitely a new cupcake
  • gate-front infrastructure continued to be upgraded for even larger crowds
  • updated PhilharMagic
  • maybe the explosion scene added to BTMR like it is for DL
  • maybe a replacement for Stitch's Great Escape by then
  • Carousel of Progress refurb, especially last scene
  • likely a lot of temporary, pop-up streetmosphere
  • bunting... lots and lots of bunting.

jt04

Iger should get some credit...but its more due to business than his desire to be known as a savior of the parks. Remember, he has let the parks languish for almost his entire tenure and much of the reason there is so much happening now, is due to almost nothing happening over the past 10-15 years.

You also need to remember he is not on good terms with anybody from Uni/Comcast and having Uni make massive gains on WDW in the attendance ratings was a personal sting that a guy like Iger wasn't likely to accept. His thoughts on the parks for a decade was "People will come because its Disney"...until they didn't.
I don't buy any of this. Shanghai, Pandora, DCA 2.0, Disney Springs and the years of planning that went into SW:GE were very resource intensive behind the scenes. They were not sitting still.

Massive infrastructure planning and investment were occurring at the DLR and WDW. Also resource intensive. This we see clearly was an absolute necessity.

You or anyone else can't gloss over these facts and expect to maintain credibility.

Bender123

I don't buy any of this. Shanghai, Pandora, DCA 2.0, Disney Springs and the years of planning that went into SW:GE were very resource intensive behind the scenes. They were not sitting still.

Massive infrastructure planning and investment were occurring at the DLR and WDW. Also resource intensive. This we see clearly was an absolute necessity.

You or anyone else can't gloss over these facts and expect to maintain credibility.
Except what you are missing in your statements on places like Shanghai, Pandora, Springs and SWGE is that these are all relatively recent reactions to outside forces. Im not saying that Iger is to blame for everything, but he didn't seem to motivated to fix the problems until Uni rolled out Harry Potter to flat WDW attendance numbers.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member

Credibility?

:)

jt04

Except what you are missing in your statements on places like Shanghai, Pandora, Springs and SWGE is that these are all relatively recent reactions to outside forces. Im not saying that Iger is to blame for everything, but he didn't seem to motivated to fix the problems until Uni rolled out Harry Potter to flat WDW attendance numbers.
Oh, I forgot to mention Carsland. Begun well before Disney discarded the Potterverse to Universal. So there's that. Lots of revisionists on these boards.

Marc Davis Fan

Iger took over Disney when the most urgent parks-related emergencies were DCA 1.0, WDSP, and HKDL (and arguably getting a second chance in China via SDL). He immediately got to work on restoring quality in those parks, which required many years and billions of dollars. Major WDW expansion was always intended to happen after that, in my understanding (plus don’t forget NFL and Pandora).

He inherited a mess with the parks, and had to make difficult decisions in the long process of cleaning it up.

Top Bottom