News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

trainplane3

Seven years probably.
That just hurts my head knowing I'll be 32 before I'll get a good Imagination ride again. 32. The last time I rode Imagination and enjoyed it was when I was 5/6. Who thought I'd have to wait 27 years before Imagination is worthwhile again. :banghead:

This is just like the gap between Tron and Tron: Legacy.

Edit: I just realized Tom Fitzgerald lead the refurb for V2 and V3. If that's the best he can imagine, FW is going to be a mess in a couple years.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Does anyone else think Bob Chapek has the Iago version of "A Friend Like Me" playing in his office on repeat? "It's a whole new world, so ya bettah get hip, or your audience will disapppeeeaaahhhh..." He thinks all the changes he's ordered are improvements when, in reality... :banghead:

lordsigma

Half of communicore is essentially empty. If they wanted to do a museum, that would be the ideal spot.
Not a bad idea but if part of the idea is that they will also be tearing down the Communicore/Innoventions buildings... it Seems they want to open the area up more. If you get rid of those buildings and the fountain than SSE could be visible from a much larger area without obstruction which creates the oppurtunity for a projection mapping show in the evenings if that’s one of the things they are looking to do. A much lower profile post show building for SSE would be a key component.

eddie104

Honestly?
Everywhere needs a revamp.
SSE, the Land, Imagination, the Seas.... it's all tired. We just love some of these areas because they have memories and sentimentality attached to them.
But no one has gone of Living with The Land in the past ten+ years and gotten the same excitement they get when they go on something like Mansion.... same goes for Nemo.... same goes double for the Imagination Pavilion.
Where do you even start "fixing" epcot when it all needs to be fixed but you know that the company will somehow give you worse versions of what needs fixing?
I don't know what they should do with epcot... or DHS.... or even magic kingdom (which is experiencing HUGE crowd problems) besides closing the entire resort for a year and doing 24/7 construction during that year to add more people eating attractions, add more real E tickets, and fix all the problems that existing rides have.

There are so many things at WDW that need to be gutted and started over... most of Epcot, Space Mountain, everything at DHS that isn't the new additions/TOT/RRC... I don't know even how to start or WHERE they should start. They sat on these problems for so long that they've built up to the point where I'm afraid it's never going to go back to the grandeur/innovation that once existed.

Ironically, the rides that would have aged the best at EPCOT (original Journey Into/Horizons) are now... gone.
If the original version of the Imagination Pavilion stood today, it would be regarded the same way Mansion or Pirates is now.
But hindsight it 20/20.... and hubris is boiling tonic on a sweltering day.
Are you better now as it seems you needed to release some frustration ? :)

RSoxNo1

That concept art is very outdated. Plans have changed drastically since d23
I understand, but that wasn't the question. I was specifically asking if the circular items peppered throughout the land were the jumping water fountains that Jim Hill mentioned. I don't think anyone had identified those as anything up to this point.

Maeryk

Not a bad idea but if part of the idea is that they will also be tearing down the Communicore/Innoventions buildings... it Seems they want to open the area up more. If you get rid of those buildings and the fountain than SSE could be visible from a much larger area without obstruction which creates the oppurtunity for a projection mapping show in the evenings if that’s one of the things they are looking to do. A much lower profile post show building for SSE would be a key component.

The only place SSE is not currently visible from is inside another building, LOL. I hope they don't take out the fountain, it's impressive when it's running right, and doesn't actually obscure the view of SSE at all.. if anything, it enhances it. Innoventions yeah.. those could go.. or if they just put them back to opening day, with the water around them, that would lighten the whole area up as well.

Maeryk

That just hurts my head knowing I'll be 32 before I'll get a good Imagination ride again. 32. The last time I rode Imagination and enjoyed it was when I was 5/6. Who thought I'd have to wait 27 years before Imagination is worthwhile again. :banghead:

This is just like the gap between Tron and Tron: Legacy.

Edit: I just realized Tom Fitzgerald lead the refurb for V2 and V3. If that's the best he can imagine, FW is going to be a mess in a couple years.

If you mean 2 and 3 of Imagination, that's as much Kodak's fault for pulling out before completion, and leaving them stuck with half a ride to finish.

Chomama

I seriously had someone (notabuzdriver) tell me a month ago that the new SSE sponsor will be PAAS and they are going to change the exterior color. Likely rose gold. 🙄🤢. Obviously I didn’t argue but he was very sure of himself and I just walked away scratching my head. Maybe it will take 2 years to paint it pink 🤷🏼‍♀️

trainplane3

If you mean 2 and 3 of Imagination, that's as much Kodak's fault for pulling out before completion, and leaving them stuck with half a ride to finish.
Partially. There was some concept art that surfaced on Twitter from @ThatDreamfinderGuy that shows it Figment-less and still talking down on the guest but with better props and effects. That's still WDIs fault there. So even ignoring the budget issue, it was still going to be lackluster because of the overall direction of the ride, budget or not.

But Kodak didn't drop the sponsorship completely until late 2000 and something.

DreamfinderGuy

Partially. There was some concept art that surfaced on Twitter from @ThatDreamfinderGuy that shows it Figment-less and still talking down on the guest but with better props and effects. That's still WDIs fault there. So even ignoring the budget issue, it was still going to be lackluster because of the overall direction of the ride, budget or not.

But Kodak didn't drop the sponsorship completely until late 2000 and something.
There was an entire book that WDI sent to Kodak as essentially a "We're gonna redo imagination and if you want your name on the building, give us some money". It was like 50 pages or so, and I only have found a couple. But even from what I have, you can tell that JIYI was originally gonna be much better than what we got. The kicker came with Kodak being broke, and budget cut after budget cut
jiyi-con.jpg
jiyi-ext.jpg
jiyi-imag.jpg
jiyi-sca.jpg
jiyi-post.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom