News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

geekza

My only wish for the new narration is that it retains the reverent tone that the actual show scenes depict. The current script is a little too condescending and the Siemens/JibJab videos at the end just throw reverence out the window. The ride should be awe-inspiring and leave you with a sense of pride in humanity's accomplishments and excitement for the future of communication. Until the current incarnation, it did that. This isn't a knock against Dame Judi Dench, who is a phenomenal actress. She did the best she could with a script that sounds like it was written for an elementary school educational film from the 1970's.

PurpleJesus

After giving this a little more thought, as exciting as the prospect of a full refurb is... two years or more??? C'mon.

The entirety of EPCOT Center took only three years to build from start to finish. Spaceship Earth, in its original construction, took only slightly more than two years (26 months) to build. And they are taking somewhere between 2-3 years to refurb it?

I know Disney has slowed construction projects to an absolutely glacial pace in the last decade or so, but that's absolutely ridiculous.
I agree it's a long time, but it's much harder to renovate an existing structure, than it is to just build a new one. Building codes change, and a lot of variables that weren't initially considered - especially in terms of structural engineering - come to light as you start removing things. So, it does seem like a while, but in my experience it takes 50% onger to do a gut/reno vs. a new build on anything complex or commercial in scope.

TOCPE82

My only wish for the new narration is that it retains the reverent tone that the actual show scenes depict. The current script is a little too condescending and the Siemens/JibJab videos at the end just throw reverence out the window. The ride should be awe-inspiring and leave you with a sense of pride in humanity's accomplishments and excitement for the future of communication. Until the current incarnation, it did that. This isn't a knock against Dame Judi Dench, who is a phenomenal actress. She did the best she could with a script that sounds like it was written for an elementary school educational film from the 1970's.

Yeah, I've come around on Dench as a narrator... but that script.. woof!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom