News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Maeryk

I think Mr. Cameron can be a little touchy. I don't know how involved he was with approving scripts, casting, pre-show videos, etc., but if he was as hands-on and prickly and controlling as he is on other projects, you might be stuck with that for a long, long time. Nothing against Cameron, seems like a decent fellow, I just wouldn't try to give him notes.

I wonder if this is a Pirates type deal, where we will see what happened with the ride influence the as yet to be made films.

PB Watermelon

I was thinking the same but could Patrick be wrapped up by CBS now that he's coming back to Star Trek? And weren't there rumors of a Star Trek show/ride for Universals new park?

Recording probably wouldn't take more than a day, no? Maybe not even that with someone of Stewart's background. Anyway, sorry about Elsa/Anna joke above. Tom Waits should do it.

sedati

Does the ride need to sound like a book on tape? Narration- no matter the quality of the host- is fairly bland and distancing. There are other ways to edu-tain us. Horizons was a bit more engaging by utilizing a couple and a more conversational tone. We meet Dreamfinder at the outset, so his role is more friend or guide that disembodied voice. World of Motion incorporated a song that evolved with the times, but what if this was a sort of lyrical journey told in song- almost like an epic poem.

Not saying narration is bad, or that any of these ideas would be better, only that I hope options are being explored.

180º

Does the ride need to sound like a book on tape? Narration- no matter the quality of the host- is fairly bland and distancing. There are other ways to edu-tain us. Horizons was a bit more engaging by utilizing a couple and a more conversational tone. We meet Dreamfinder at the outset, so his role is more friend or guide that disembodied voice. World of Motion incorporated a song that evolved with the times, but what if this was a sort of lyrical journey told in song- almost like an epic poem.

Not saying narration is bad, or that any of these ideas would be better, only that I hope options are being explored.
Grandma/Grandpa and Dreamfinder worked very well for their respective rides. For a dramatic and dignified Spaceship Earth, the mysterious voice is perfect. Jeremy Irons was great at this.

FigmentJedi

Grandma/Grandpa and Dreamfinder worked very well for their respective rides. For a dramatic and dignified Spaceship Earth, the mysterious voice is perfect. Jeremy Irons was great at this.
I still think that reviving Tapestry of Nations's Sage of Time character as the host for Spaceship Earth would be a good move.

The Pho

The actor shouldn't get all the blame tho

The writing, the directing, and all the dozens of people that approved it are equally responsible

Actors usually get all the blame, and it's not really fair but they are the face. The script itself probably deserves most of the blame, I mean how many times did they really have to say Avatar, we know where we are. I think that Dr Ogden's scenes are fine enough though, while nothing special they aren't painful, and that's why I criticize the guy more.

sedati

The Irons version was my favorite though part of that has to do with the score. Still, I’m hoping this refurbishment is more about what an omnimover/diorama style attraction of the 21st century can be and not just clinging to how things were done in the 80’s.

PB Watermelon

Mel Brooks could liven things up.

Mike S

Actors usually get all the blame, and it's not really fair but they are the face. The script itself probably deserves most of the blame, I mean how many times did they really have to say Avatar, we know where we are. I think that Dr Ogden's scenes are fine enough though, while nothing special they aren't painful, and that's why I criticize the guy more.
I don’t know, to me he seems to act just like any comically stereo typical bumbling science nerd that stays in a lab all day would act :confused:

That’s very likely what they were going for with his character.

lordsigma

It makes sense to combine renovating SSE with the complete revision of the entry area and central innoventions area of the park. This would allow reconfiguring of the ride to be coordinated with how they want the central area to be reimagined. I could see them wanting to have an open area with no obstructions of the sphere in the area where innoventions and the fountain is now so you could have a possible Night-time Projection show on SSE (in addition to whatever replaces Illuminations - think the secondary tree of life projection show at AK.) I do like the idea someone mentioned earlier of having some content in a new after ride area that references the history of Epcot and some of the attractions of days gone by. Such a location could also offer an opportunity to deal with the Leave a Legacy issue without ticking off people who bought tiles years ago. You could pick a spot in there to relocate the picture tiles when they remove the monoliths at the park entrance. (Obviously they could also just dispose of them altogether but displaying them in some out of the way area could be a way to get rid of it while being respectful of the people who bought it as it will still be in the park somewhere.)

DisneyOutsider

The narrator might be the least important part of a SSE refurbishment/revamp. Would be far more interested to know who is working on the script and what the overall vision moving forward is for any re-imagining

MickeyMinnieMom

I don’t know, to me he seems to act just like any comically stereo typical bumbling science nerd that stays in a lab all day would act :confused:

That’s very likely what they were going for with his character.
I’ve heard other people say this, but as a former biochemistry major well-versed in “nerd”, I just find this guy incredibly annoying and awkward — and not like the nerds I am fond of. :)

Obobru

I expect it will be turned into an Inside Out theme with SSE now becoming a brain. No way will Disney refit something without making it all about some IP with a gift shop at the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom