News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

montyz81

The original Epcot did not even remotely satisfy Walt's wish. Walt's plan for Epcot was a fully functional planned city. It was ultimately opened as a combination permanent World's Fair and showcase for futuristic technologies. It had nothing what-so-ever to do with the original vision.
Not true. The park used sustainable technology to run, not just simply to showcase it. That was part of the original city’s plan.

montyz81

There wasn't any actual planning when Walt was alive. Once they delved into it, they realized once people started living there you'd take out the E, P and T parts of EPCOT. As John Hench himself said "You can't experiment with people's lives". It never got past blue sky
I’m pretty sure there was planning. You can see it in the last video Walt made before he died. Model buildings and everything. Part of that model is on the Peoplmover. That feels like more than blue sky to me.

cspencer96

I’m pretty sure there was planning. You can see it in the last video Walt made before he died. Model buildings and everything. Part of that model is on the Peoplmover. That feels like more than blue sky to me.

Blue Sky involves planning with no real-world constraints. You can definitely have models with buildings that you’d want to build if you could during the Blue Sky phase. The video from Walt was essentially a hype video to drum up interest from companies and the public.

Rich Brownn

John Hench also had words to say about that painting (and not very nice ones). All that you see was whipped up in two or three days to provide a backdrop for the film. It was actually a pitch to the government in Florida to pass the RCID. It wasn't supposed to be seen by the general public. But Walt died shortly after this and it got aired on TV. There was not really any planning beyond "we want to build a futuristic city with mass transit"

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The original Epcot did not even remotely satisfy Walt's wish. Walt's plan for Epcot was a fully functional planned city. It was ultimately opened as a combination permanent World's Fair and showcase for futuristic technologies. It had nothing what-so-ever to do with the original vision.
I think that can certainly be argued but I did mentioned that his wish wasn’t granted ( full scale city) but conceptually Epcot would have been something he would have been proud of.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There wasn't any actual planning when Walt was alive. Once they delved into it, they realized once people started living there you'd take out the E, P and T parts of EPCOT. As John Hench himself said "You can't experiment with people's lives". It never got past blue sky
Not true. The park used sustainable technology to run, not just simply to showcase it. That was part of the original city’s plan.

Before the days of micromanaged media public relations the company were on record for saying phase one of the World was their E.P.C.O.T. From energy systems to computer monitoring, transportation to accommodation, master planning to digital phone lines, DACS to building design and codes, the original resort was based very much on the ethos of the planned city.

nickys

Premium Member
Before the days of micromanaged media public relations the company were on record for saying phase one of the World was their E.P.C.O.T. From energy systems to computer monitoring, transportation to accommodation, master planning to digital phone lines, DACS to building design and codes, the original resort was based very much on the ethos of the planned city.

What is / are DACS?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What is / are DACS?

Fundamentally DACS was a Digital Animation Control System - purely a controller of attractions figures, audio, lighting, doors etc. In 1971 it was also a loose term for an all encompassing park control system.

DACS is/was the computerised system that originally ran the Magic Kingdom from one central location. Much like Central at EPCOT Center. As time went on it was thought having everything run from one place was risky, so key systems were moved to their respective attractions. MGM was built without a centralised control of everything. Wonders was the first pavilion to be built with local control.

Rich Brownn

Yes, the used the EPCOT codes. But no planning had gone into the city at the time of Walt's death. John Hench was responsible for the painting and props and from time to time has complained about the painting being treated as gospel.

And the resort itself a good example of why EPCOT could never be built as a place of residence. Take the EVAC system. Door to a poor layout design, it tends to clog up and shut down and requires someone to literally empty it out. Imagine if that system had been used city-wide. There were a few other things that didn't go as intended. And this is the reason why it simply wouldn't have worked. Would you want to live somewhere that the utilities may or may not work, your appliances were all experimental and could fail? Of course not. So you would have to eliminate anything that was a prototype or experimental. Now you're left with CO out of EPCOT. This is what the imagineers realized when the delved into the project more deeply. As for the film, the painting was ordered on Wednesday. The film was shot Friday. Not a lot of time to plan :D. And yes, I had met John Hench decades ago when I worked for Disney

Goofyernmost

In spite of all the faux defense of EPCOT about following Walt's wish, please... EPCOT Ctr. was not what Walt's dream was. In fact I doubt that the concept ever even crossed his mind. It was much more of a tribute to him then a completion of a dream. I'm sad that Walt died so young, as it was a huge loss of an incredibly creative mind, but no one should confuse the dream with EPCOT Ctr.

As someone said, logically EPCOT Ctr. really did show how unrealistic his dream was. It could have been built but it would never have had the desired result. When he was starting to think about stuff like that computers were closer to being punch card based then the massive explosion of Technology that really had just started when EPCOT Ctr. came into existence. That coupled with the great City of Celebration failure more then made it clear the existing physical alteration every time something new happened was not doable without massive long term corporate support. Just like the sponsorship of the EPCOT pavilions it would all hinge on the economy and just how willing corporations were willing to give away their new technology after the creation of the internet.

EPCOT Ctr. was a great park with exciting new things and for a while it was a wonderful place to visit, but, it was not able to keep up with ever expanding technology and over a decade lost is shine and therefore its pull to others that already were individually more advanced than EPCOT could keep up with. So it started dying on the vine. In order to maintain it started to have to be party central appealing to more basic things like food, drink and flowers.

I also miss the original, I was one of the people that went there every trip, but, even for me a lot was just like watching reruns on TV. You can handle a few but, before long they have lost all their sparkle. I'm sorry to see it go, in Future World, but in reality going to Future World in recent years was more like a history lesson then a new technology exhibit. I'm hopeful that the new EPCOT will bring people back that aren't there just for the alcohol and are excited about that area. I also feel that not a lot has changed in World Showcase that isn't an addition to a benign park that was and is special, but needed a shock therapy to restart the heart beat. Those dreaded IP's are going to add to what is there and if it ends up to be a puberty and beyond MK, then I welcome it. There was a time when horse and buggy transportation was in great demand, nothing lasts forever.

kurtk

1573995544469.png

This is actually the planning for 'The Claw". Alien Swirling Saucers went in instead :p

Just kidding. The Claw was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title. Those story points with a ride called The Claw just seemed funny to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom