News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, I didn't say that was what was happening, but with the water leakage, track problems, and other issues, it seems to be getting in that direction.

Unless your talking about Horizons, in which that's what I've heard over the years from many sources, but everybody says something different. IDK what actually happened, I wasn't born yet. 🤣
Horizons.

Many sources are wrong. Remember it stayed open until January 1999. Not something that would have happened if the structure was in doubt. Not to mention I was friends with one of the designers before he sadly passed.

Mickeynerd17

Horizons.

Many sources are wrong. Remember it stayed open until January 1999. Not something that would have happened if the structure was in doubt. Not to mention I spoke to one of the designers before he sadly passed.
True, it did.

I've heard a list of reasons longer than I remember about why it closed from people on this forum to other areas around the internet. The most common were:

Sinkhole
Structural Instability
Too Expensive to Fix
plus many, many more I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

So, what was the actual reason, at least according to you? Also, by designer, did you talk to George McGinnis, or somebody else I'm not remembering? (I think McGinnis was the project lead but I don't remember.)

tparris

True, it did.

I've heard a list of reasons longer than I remember about why it closed from people on this forum to other areas around the internet. The most common were:

Sinkhole
Structural Instability
Too Expensive to Fix
plus many, many more I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

So, what was the actual reason, at least according to you? Also, by designer, did you talk to George McGinnis, or somebody else I'm not remembering? (I think McGinnis was the project lead but I don't remember.)
The main reason was $, at least I think. Also if I’m remembering correctly, Compaq (HP) approached disney at some point with the idea of a space themed thrill ride for Future World. Just to be clear, I’m just going off of memory of what I’ve read here and I’m certainly missing many details.

Mickeynerd17

The main reason was $, at least I think. Also if I’m remembering correctly, Compaq (HP) approached disney at some point with the idea of a space themed thrill ride for Future World. Just to be clear, I’m just going off of memory of what I’ve read here and I’m certainly missing many details.
I thought that Disney forced Compaq in the agreement to fund a thrill ride, and all Compaq wanted was a space pavilion regardless, but I'm probably mixing up information.

tparris

I thought that Disney forced Compaq in the agreement to fund a thrill ride, and all Compaq wanted was a space pavilion regardless, but I'm probably mixing up information.
I believe it might have been the other way around, with Disney just wanting a space pavilion in general and Compaq wanting it to house a thrill ride. @marni1971 did I say it right? Please tell me I didn’t just spew out a bunch of false information lol

Mickeynerd17

I believe it might have been the other way around, with Disney just wanting a space pavilion in general and Compaq wanting it to house a thrill ride. @marni1971 did I say it right? Please tell me I didn’t just spew out a bunch of false information lol
His old M:S tribute had it the other way around because Disney didn't want to deal with it anymore. Basically, Compaq paid to demo Horizons.

(Don't 100% believe me, I haven't seen it in awhile. Been busy on my Horizons minecraft recreation).

Mickeynerd17

It came down to money. As always. And yes, George Mcginnnis and I were acquainted.
Wow! That's pretty awesome to have met him!

I knew part of it had to do with money because of the failure of Euro Disney plus the flopped animated films produced bad decisions like Horizons demo, JIYI, Rocket Rods, DCA.

Test Track was the only thing they got right, probably because it was started back in '96 and funding was already there.

trainplane3

While it wouldn't have been the same, it still would've been an extremely original attraction if they went with the overhaul plan:
space.JPG

Mickeynerd17

While it wouldn't have been the same, it still would've been an extremely original attraction if they went with the overhaul plan:View attachment 511956
I would have rather seen this. Way more detailed, and you can tell where the old building was in relation to the add-ons.

To be fully honest, Horizons had the most intriguing, incredible geometry I have seen used for any structure ever. It still mystifies me even though I never saw it irl.

EPCOT-O.G.

Speaking of Horizons, I watched a documentary about two dudes who would regularly break into the ride and backstage areas. Sadly one of them has passed away, but whatever came of the other guy? Now that his identity is known is he barred from the parks?

Mickeynerd17

Speaking of Horizons, I watched a documentary about two dudes who would regularly break into the ride and backstage areas. Sadly one of them has passed away, but whatever came of the other guy? Now that his identity is known is he barred from the parks?
Ah, you are talking about Hoot and Chief, who basically climbed around the sets and backstage areas of Horizons in like 1998. I think Hoot is still alive and can go to the parks, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Have you checked out their website? It's very informative!

EPCOT-O.G.

Ah, you are talking about Hoot and Chief, who basically climbed around the sets and backstage areas of Horizons in like 1998. I think Hoot is still alive and can go to the parks, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Have you checked out their website? It's very informative!
Yes. I also think they showed him spreading ashes? Either of those events seem like severe conduct that would lead to a ban.

Mickeynerd17

Yes. I also think they showed him spreading ashes? Either of those events seem like severe conduct that would lead to a ban.
Yea, Hoot spread Chief's ashes somewhere in the resort. It was either Epcot or MK, but I forgot the actual location. He did it in the bushes, which is not as obvious as the usual ones where people spread ashes while on the HM ride, which involve a shutdown and vacuum of the ride. Personally, I would do the bushes because I would have mental trauma about a love one's ashes getting sucked up in a vacuum.

As for Horizons, the ride has been gone for 21 years now, and as far as I know, he hasn't been climbing around rides like RotR for fun on a weekend, so he's probably good.

Monorail_Red_77

Yea, Hoot spread Chief's ashes somewhere in the resort. It was either Epcot or MK, but I forgot the actual location. He did it in the bushes, which is not as obvious as the usual ones where people spread ashes while on the HM ride, which involve a shutdown and vacuum of the ride. Personally, I would do the bushes because I would have mental trauma about a love one's ashes getting sucked up in a vacuum.

As for Horizons, the ride has been gone for 21 years now, and as far as I know, he hasn't been climbing around rides like RotR for fun on a weekend, so he's probably good.
Yes, very touching video of a friend honoring his friends last wishes. Location was in MK, near to the Brave Meet and Greet on East side of Castle in the wooded area there along the footpath from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.
I feel their videos were very important in that they documented the ride in great detail so that now we can appreciate all the fine details of it. Next to Martin's amazing videos, some of my favorite videos.
If it were me, I would pick a wooded area like that or even in the Seven Seas Lagoon. Like a weighed paper cup or something biodegradable yet inconspicuous to contain ashes yet not draw attention. Just drop over side of the ferry boat at night or something.

Mickeynerd17

Yes, very touching video of a friend honoring his friends last wishes. Location was in MK, near to the Brave Meet and Greet on East side of Castle in the wooded area there along the footpath from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.
I feel their videos were very important in that they documented the ride in great detail so that now we can appreciate all the fine details of it. Next to Martin's amazing videos, some of my favorite videos.
If it were me, I would pick a wooded area like that or even in the Seven Seas Lagoon. Like a weighed paper cup or something biodegradable yet inconspicuous to contain ashes yet not draw attention. Just drop over side of the ferry boat at night or something.
I would wish to be dumped somewhere in Future World, but 1, idk where, and 2, I'm waaaay too young to be thinking about that. 🤣

EPCOT-O.G.

It may or may not be in my will that my children or heirs dispose of my ashes around Word Showcase in the same way the prisoners of war dispensed with the extra dirt in THE GREAT ESCAPE. I should probably authorize my executor to provide for an allowance for new shoes.

muddyrivers

Back onto the topic of the SSE refurb, I was just listening to a podcast about EPCOT's music over the years and one of the hosts brought up a great idea. What if we could select who narrates our journey through time via the touchscreen? It would work similar to how we select our language at the beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom