Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

M:SpilotISTC12

The problem is now that money is super tight they have to think about what is going to get people through the gates. Right now a redone Spaceship Earth is not going to do that. It might be great for all the Epcot super fans but those aren't the ones Disney is trying to cater to. Nothing would make me happier than to see something happen with SSE. Disney is all about money and this just seems like a bad return on investment.

DoleWhipDrea

The problem is now that money is super tight they have to think about what is going to get people through the gates. Right now a redone Spaceship Earth is not going to do that. It might be great for all the Epcot super fans but those aren't the ones Disney is trying to cater to. Nothing would make me happier than to see something happen with SSE. Disney is all about money and this just seems like a bad return on investment.

Actually when the parks open back up, they’re going to have to cater to locals to keep a steady stream of business while the travel industry tries to get out of its slump. Worst case scenario I’ve been hearing from experts is 5 years.

But that also means that it would be bad for EPCOT to not have their weenie attraction running to keep locals visiting. It’s a double-edged sword. With how many attractions have closed over the years in Future World and how few attractions there are in World Showcase, one could argue that they really can’t afford to have Spaceship Earth closed for 2-3 years for a major refurb.

I will say that I am worried about the track. I would say that they would still want to at least replace it, but this would hardly be the first time Disney puts something like that off after making plans for it (see Space Mountain.)

aladdin2007

nope its the drinking crowds they are catering to turning the parks into more disney springs branches. Watch that bar in the sky be constructed and done in the middle of the park before they do anything worthwhile to SE. (if the center project still goes forward, I hope they re-evaluate that too). They have made a complete mess of Epcot, but this would be a good chance to change some plans.

and I agree, more than anything I want to see SE get some new love and be grand again. But then I also want Impressions de France back too that will probably never happen either. (sorry one pathetic showing at night doesn't count)... Its almost like this park is ran by the biggest group of clueless decision makers there ever was. unbelievable.

Actually when the parks open back up, they’re going to have to cater to locals to keep a steady stream of business while the travel industry tries to get out of its slump. Worst case scenario I’ve been hearing from experts is 5 years.

But that also means that it would be bad for EPCOT to not have their weenie attraction running to keep locals visiting. It’s a double-edged sword. With how many attractions have closed over the years in Future World and how few attractions there are in World Showcase, one could argue that they really can’t afford to have Spaceship Earth closed for 2-3 years for a major refurb.

I will say that I am worried about the track. I would say that they would still want to at least replace it, but this would hardly be the first time Disney puts something like that off after making plans for it (see Space Mountain.)
Thats true too. The front of the park is a disaster right now so they need as many attractions open as possible. SSE is a people eater so it wouldn't make much sense to close now for a 1-2 year rehab. That track is definitely in need of some work. I was coming strictly from a financial point of view. But from an operations side, you're totally right.

nope its the drinking crowds they are catering to turning the parks into more disney springs branches. Watch that bar in the sky be constructed and done in the middle of the park before they do anything worthwhile to SE. (if the center project still goes forward, I hope they re-evaluate that too). They have made a complete mess of Epcot, but this would be a good chance to change some plans.

and I agree, more than anything I want to see SE get some new love and be grand again. But then I also want Impressions de France back too that will probably never happen either. (sorry one pathetic showing at night doesn't count)... Its almost like this park is ran by the biggest group of clueless decision makers there ever was. unbelievable.
The problem with Future World is that its identity was lost a while ago. With World Showcase being the one side of the park that hasn't changed its identity since it opened. It's going to continue doing what it does best, sell cultural foods and drinks. That's why the park has become a foodie and boozer's paradise and Disney markets it well. Of course until Disney is going to pump as much booze into the park because its way cheaper to add in than an attraction. It's now a proven idea that they are taking and running with it to spread towards Future World. If Future World still had its edutainment identity (or any consistent theme) maybe the bar in the sky would seem like a bad idea from a creative and management side. In my opinion it still is a bad idea.

Future World is a shell of what it once was since they decided to stop pumping money into it. Now it sets them up to build a bar in the sky or add an IP that doesn't make any sense because Future World is lost. A bar in the sky is going to bring people (money) in if they build it. A roller coaster with Marvel characters is going to bring in people (money) once its done. A Moana water area will bring people in because its Moana. (Still don't get how it fits in Epcot but whatever at this point) A new Spaceship Earth won't do that compared to those other three things so financially it doesn't make sense. Booze and IPs will always win. Now an Incredicoaster built into the SSE will do the trick. (kidding)

the.dreamfinder

At least the GotG coaster sucked up a massive chunk of the Epcot budget pre covid.

twall0415

The problem with Future World is that its identity was lost a while ago.

I also think Future World suffers from a similar issue to that of the original Tomorrowland and Disney Quest. It's concept of the future and technology is always going to become outdated, a relic, or gimmicky especially with how quickly the world seems to be advancing. Technology just advances more quickly than can be kept up with. I feel there are better ways to incorporate the idea of the future rather than making everything themed to the future so things can better stand the test of time. I know I'm in the minority here but I think the concept that the Epcot redevelopment has with the zones; World Discovery, World Celebration, and World Nature are great ideas to help overcome this thematic problem. However, will its execution achieve this and provide a quality experience .... only time will tell.

ppete1975

I also think Future World suffers from a similar issue to that of the original Tomorrowland and Disney Quest. It's concept of the future and technology is always going to become outdated, a relic, or gimmicky especially with how quickly the world seems to be advancing. Technology just advances more quickly than can be kept up with. I feel there are better ways to incorporate the idea of the future rather than making everything themed to the future so things can better stand the test of time. I know I'm in the minority here but I think the concept that the Epcot redevelopment has with the zones; World Discovery, World Celebration, and World Nature are great ideas to help overcome this thematic problem. However, will its execution achieve this and provide a quality experience .... only time will tell.
im in the minority that you could do an epcot, or the original Tomorrowland. But it comes back to sponsors sort of and trust. Look at early Disneyland, you had Monsanto, a house of the future, the aluminum hall of fame, even the bra store taught history. So for it to work find super smart rich entrepreneurs that money isn't really a big deal. Let them brand the entrance give them an area and let them design the ride, the exit would be advertising (remember world of motion and the GM showroom). Give elon musk free reign, at the end talk about electrical cars and space x. When steve jobs was alive apple would have been great, there are others. Trust me their areas wouldn't get outdated, because they don't think that way.. maybe the ride might get a bit dated but the educational part at the end about whatever they are working on would always be top of the line. install digital ribbons on Tomorrowland or communicore (rip) that said what the latest scientific break throughs are.
That's how epcot and the original tommorowland were built and people were in awe, and if done right wouldn't become outdated... but who am I.. clearly Disney is smarter and IP makes more money

djkidkaz

I'd be curious to know if it was the IP that brought people in or more specifically the unique experience of Flight of Passage? Obviously we'll never know for sure.

I believe it’s the word of mouth about FoP that has driven attendance at DAK. It’s a ride that almost anyone in the family can do and people LOVE it! The pandora area as a whole is just the icing on the cake and Satuli Canteen is one of the best quick service on property. Other than Navi River Journey being too short, the Pandora addition was about as close to a home run as you could get.

No Name

That became really popular by adding a land based on an IP.

Based on an IP that’s not very popular. The box office was huge but it’s had no lasting relevance, and I can guarantee that most kids riding Flight of Passage and raving about it afterwards have never seen the PG13 movie that came out 11 years ago. I would hardly credit its success to the IP.

Almost like a wannabe Cars Land. Just the west coast version got it’s headliner too.

Weird comparison considering it was moreso a reaction to Potter. And FoP is the most popular ride since at least TSMM and is absolutely a headliner, regardless of what you or I think about it.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

The box office was huge but it’s had no lasting relevance, and I can guarantee that most kids riding Flight of Passage and raving about it afterwards have never seen the PG13 movie that came out 11 years ago. I would hardly credit its success to the IP.

Indeed, the success of Pandora and Flight of Passage provide an example of IPs not being necessary for the success of an attraction. That is, for the majority of guests, the "Avatar" IP was likely either neutral (as if there were no IP) or negative (e.g., if they disliked the movie). Nonetheless, the quality of the experience made the land and attraction a success. Disney's lesson - including for EPCOT - should be they they need not rely on IP for everything, and in fact (especially in the case of EPCOT) the holistic experience can be stronger without too many forced IP tie-ins... but alas, will they ever recognize this?

Mickey5150

I'd be curious to know if it was the IP that brought people in or more specifically the unique experience of Flight of Passage? Obviously we'll never know for sure.
It was the rides and the design of the land.
Indeed, the success of Pandora and Flight of Passage provide an example of IPs not being necessary for the success of an attraction. That is, for the majority of guests, the "Avatar" IP was likely either neutral (as if there were no IP) or negative (e.g., if they disliked the movie). Nonetheless, the quality of the experience made the land and attraction a success. Disney's lesson - including for EPCOT - should be they they need not rely on IP for everything, and in fact (especially in the case of EPCOT) the holistic experience can be stronger without too many forced IP tie-ins... but alas, will they ever recognize this?
Unfortunately when the boss wants IPs he says "look what happened when we bought the Avatar IP, AK is our second most popular park."

Horizons1

No.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom