Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

DoleWhipDrea

Carsland and Pandora are absolutely comparable - they’re both highly-themed expansion lands that were both added to parks that desperately needed more things to do.

I will also venture to say that while the Cars franchise sells a lot of toys, the films themselves are some of the weakest to come out of Pixar. Avatar was a success at the box office partly because of the upcharge in tickets for 3D and the drama of seeing it in a movie theater...it was an event film. But after that? I would be surprised if even 10% of those that saw the film in the theater remember a single character’s name. Both the Cars and Avatar franchises have been desperately squeezed to make more money.

And all of that being said, they’re comparable because even though the films that inspired the lands aren’t the best in terms of IP, the environments they inspired WDI to design are thrilling places to visit at a theme park.

Homemade Imagineering

Which is the aim of good design. Same for Tower of Terror. Journey into Imagination (original). Etc.
I definitely agree. Splash Mountain is just another fantastic example. The average tourist probably isn’t familiar with song of the south, yet Splash Mountain may be their favorite attraction. This concept also proves that not everything has to be tied to an IP, which is the case for the original journey into imagination, and an IP free attraction usually has a better chance of becoming a timeless attraction ( Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, jungle cruise, etc...) because certain IPs become dated after a while, while original attractions stay original, and won’t have to worry about being tied to a dated or somewhat dated IP.

brianstl

It’s funny looking back. Didn’t Eisner day Iger would not succeed because he wasn’t creative enough? Then we go to Chapek who is the opposite of creative. I kind of think we wait for The next CEO to handle Our grand and miraculous spaceship.
Big difference is Chapek doesn’t consider himself creative. Iger incorrectly has convinced himself he is. When someone knows they are not creative they are more apt to not try micromanage the creative process.

Last edited:

Mickey5150

With the lack of park income the smartest move would be to keep the current Spaceship Earth. Do any maintenance work that is needed, record a new narration, remove the touchscreens from the vehicles and then spend some money and replace the void with a real ending. Then paint all the ride vehicles a different color. These would be cheap enough changes that would allow Disney to advertise it as a whole new experience for people not on this forum while fixing the ending that we have wanted for years.

Has any insider said that Disney plans to clean ride vehicles after each guest?

It doesn't sound like that's happening in Shanghai, and I wouldn't expect it here. Increased cleaning, yes. Cleaning after every guest, no.

DoleWhipDrea

While sanitation efforts will be increased, I saw something about having hand sanitizer essentially everywhere, with the idea that guests would be encouraged to sanitize their hands often. I can’t remember if I saw this from an insider on these forums or if this was something indicated on the Q2 call...

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Could somebody briefly summarize what the overhaul was going to include? I saw someone mention removal of animatronics and I became very sad. The only animatronic change they need to make is turn around the newspaper boy again.

No Name

Could somebody briefly summarize what the overhaul was going to include? I saw someone mention removal of animatronics and I became very sad. The only animatronic change they need to make is turn around the newspaper boy again.

The animatronics move like a wax museum beginning to come alive, or like we’re watching Night at the Museum at 0.25x speed. It has its allure and I love the ride, but it definitely shows its age. The idea of the refurb was to bring the whole attraction closer to modern standards in terms of both technology and presentation. So that young guns would ride it and think “oh wow, what a great ride” instead of “oh wow, this old relic is still here, that’s cute.” Problem being that’s a tough task, and a lot of people around here weren’t confident they’d get it right. But the intention was good.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom