Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
Don't expect any announcements any time soon, but this was looked at with scrutiny and was made to mitigate the spillover from the rest of the resort's construction. This will not be the only significant casualty, but it is the only one practically decided upon at this time. TDO behind the scenes is frantic far more so than any other resort with the 50th next year (that is looking at kicking off after vaccinations are widespread), including the enormous Walt Disney Studios expansion over in Paris.

The parks division's primary purpose is to remain steady to weather out the storm. Profit is not driving these decisions.

Last edited:

Disneyson

This ride needs refreshes every 10ish years to avoid the fate of the Great Movie Ride, especially due to the timely decent. I am worried that if this gets kicked down the line too far, something we won’t like happens in another ten years.

Otherwise, I wasn’t INCREDIBLY excited about the projection mapping and removal of animatronics. I think it was savvy to change the theme from communication to storytelling, considering that our story of communication has kind of ended, the removal of Innoventions, and considering the shift throughout the park towards exploring concepts through literal storytelling.

Happy and sad here, but mostly worried.

carolina_yankee

I liked some elements of the rehab so I was looking forward to it, but I wasn't looking forward to losing SSE while the rest of Epcot is such a mess, so I'm strangely not disappointed. Although, as an omnimover, how will the sanitize between guests, or will they just give each guest their own wipe?

Clamman73

I liked some elements of the rehab so I was looking forward to it, but I wasn't looking forward to losing SSE while the rest of Epcot is such a mess, so I'm strangely not disappointed. Although, as an omnimover, how will the sanitize between guests, or will they just give each guest their own wipe?
They should skip the pick where you’re from part at the start and just make the narration English (not saying they shouldn’t change it back in the future) At the end make a generic future living video...they could still do the your face within it thing.
Therefore you don‘t have to touch the screen...a CM could wipe down the part of the car by the sliding door that you might touch getting in and out.

FigmentsFangirl

So since it is currently just rumor that this has been shelved or completely canceled entirely, what should we look for in terms of an announcement of closure ?

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I think certain attractions MAY be able to have some automated sanitizer pass between the unload and load portions if they're decently far apart. SSE may be a candidate....but this is all just pure speculation on my side

ppete1975

It will be interesting to see what happens with the descent for the time being with touching things now frowned upon, if the ride does indeed reopen as-is.

Maybe I'll throw together an ad for the Disney Preservation Fund that can play during that time instead!
cant they just turn off the screens all together, just make them dead screens. I think they are fun but if touching is an issue just turn them off.

Figments Friend

Obviously they could but there is literally nothing to look at for the last 3-4 minutes of the ride without them.

What are you talking about Bob....there is PLENTY to see on the decent section of 'Spaceship Earth' even with the silly tv screens turned off.
I always cover the screen with a sweatshirt I typically bring along with me to combat the excessive AC....but you can do the same with your swag business suit jacket.
Here's what to do to see what you have obviously been missing -

Lay your jacket over the tv screen in your 'time machine' ride vehicle, blocking out the annoying light.
Then lean your head back and stare at the ceiling.

You will then see lots of deteriorating interior structures, triangles, oddly cut ceiling tiles, triangles, white 'watermark' stains, triangles, black cloth remnants, and triangles.

You of all people SHOULD be seeing all of that as it is something that needs attention and improvement.
And no, by 'improvement' I don't mean slapping on some errevalant IP or trying to make it 'more timeless, more revelant, more Disney'.
I'm talking about a REAL improvement.

So get on that, will ya..?
You have the time.
And the Company obviously has the money.
Do it.

-

ppete1975

How about just adding lots of blacklights (UV lights) to every ride that doesn't have them already and you can disinfect yourself and the vehicle while you ride? Wouldn't that be an inexpensive refurb?
this!!! Ive been wondering about parks, and retail like Walmart for shopping carts. Couldn't they use a uv light or something (not a scientist and too lazy to look) that they could build tubes that you push the shopping carts through before they are put with the others, or ride vehicles go through before reboarding (sans people) that would disinfect. I mean you could use chemicals (messy) or heat (damage vehicles?) but a light that would kill everything to me sounds like a no brainer. Especially because I think this is going to be a new normal with things being more sanitized than it was before.

VaderTron

cant they just turn off the screens all together, just make them dead screens. I think they are fun but if touching is an issue just turn them off.
If you all think that people are not touching things in a ride vehicle just because a touchscreen is disabled you're dreaming. People are touching all kinds of areas. Getting in the car many people put their hands on the seat or seat back. During the ride some reposition themselves which may include pushing or pulling to turn their body. And honestly, what are people supposed to do with their hands for 15 minutes, suspend them in the air?

giphy-16_30887670677434.gif

ppete1975

If you all think that people are not touching things in a ride vehicle just because a touchscreen is disabled you're dreaming. People are touching all kinds of areas. Getting in the car many people put their hands on the seat or seat back. During the ride some reposition themselves which may include pushing or pulling to turn their body. And honestly, what are people supposed to do with their hands for 15 minutes, suspend them in the air?

View attachment 469175
normal nervous habits, or just touching things is different than being told to touch a certain area on every single ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom