Spaceship Earth - my opinions of the refurb - very very dissapointing

mitros

I first told him I was a major fan of the last version, to which he replied that they were glad to hear from old fans. He then proceeded to mindlessly jot everything I told him down. He didn't comment on anything, instead, he started asking me how the touch screen worked. Did I have enough time to make my selections? Was my video what I expected?

I felt like telling him that I was going to punch a hole in every screen.

You SHOULD have told him.

Thelazer

Well thanks for the flag.... I guess....
:(

:rolleyes:
:lookaroun :lookaroun

:shrug:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Hereby you receive the very special flag for this remarkable piece of... errr... fiction...
288bsflag1.gif

wedway71

I just dont understand if they wanted to make SSE awsome why they did not address the noisey track. They know its noisey we know its noisey soooooo???

EpcotServo

I'm VERY sure there's nothing to do about the noises of the track, you see, unlike Haunted Mansion or other OmniMovers, SSE has anti-rollback chains so that it won't roll back when the chain stops. THAT's why it's a bit noisy and bumpy.

RedSoxPirate

I didnt read all 10 pages so this might have already been mentioned. The descent seemed to me to be just unfinished. The "starry section" was definitely tarped--yes, I reached out and touched them--so it seems there may be more to come up there.

Overall I was not overwhelmed by the return but I thought it was in keeping with the dumbing down of EPCOT that started with Test Track and continued to Nemo. The script seems meant for younger or slower folk and Dame Dench's delivery is too much school marm. The score is unappealing; I couldn't remember a single bit of it within 2 minutes of leaving, while the previous would remain for days.

But I think there is more coming--there has to be!-so I'm mollified a bit at least. I just wish they would have waited until it was ready before diappointing us like this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm VERY sure there's nothing to do about the noises of the track, you see, unlike Haunted Mansion or other OmniMovers, SSE has anti-rollback chains so that it won't roll back when the chain stops. THAT's why it's a bit noisy and bumpy.

that and like all the other systems, SSE has to deal with STEEP and LONG ascents and decents - that is a ton of force to deal with and has been very problem prone even from the start. It took Disney awhile to even get the system stable.

DisneyJunkie

(This is based entirely on what I saw and heard in the new SE preview video ride-through.)

* LIKE - I like the new signage for the ride just outside of the entrance.
* DISLIKE - The new music. It's completely forgettable and lacks the punch of the previous version.
* LIKE - I like some of the newer, improved animatronics.
* DISLIKE - I hate the Judi Dench narration. It's not just the sound of her voice, but the change in verbage from the previous (and far superior) Jeremy Irons' rendition.
*LIKE - I like the idea of having some of the ride incorporated with the touch screen monitors.
*DISLIKE - I don't care at all for what the final result (although maybe still in progress) was with the touchscreen questions and the cartoonish result.
*LIKE - I liked some of the newer scenes, including the one in the computer lab that was on both sides of the ride-through area.

OVERALL - Very disappointed with what I've seen and heard. The previous script and musical score had an almost grandiose quality to it, and Jeremy Irons' voice is certainly much more suitable and pleasing to listen to than Judi Dench's. This 'new' version is a pretty good size step backwards in terms of where they were before. I hope they change it further and actually improve on it.

drc304

Well, Im not sure if my input counts since I always viewed SSE as a okay ride to go on and I havent been on it in probably 7 years. Anyway, here it goes.

I was pretty excited about getting to see this revamped version. After waiting in line outside the walls for about 10 mins we were ushered into the normal waiting area. I found the whole ride to be great. For the first time I actually enjoyed riding and found it to be memorable. All of the scenes looked very good, from the first screen of the caveman battling the mammoth in the snow to the final space scene at the top, I thought they were all done very well. I actually cant comment on the audio because I didnt really hear it to well. As far as the final decent goes I might be the only one to think it was better then the others. The first lighting that you go through was great and they should have kept that theme going through the whole way down. It is true that the touchscreens werent anything to special but they kept my attention on the screen rather then looking around a dark tunnel. I enjoyed answering the questions and I found the video that followed to be semi-entertaining for what it was.

I would like to think that Disney will continue to make some changes to the ride and still has a lot to finish before it opens. I mean some of the ceilings were not even finished especially in the descent tunnel. For what its worth I enjoyed the ride and would definitely ride it again.

Tom Morrow

Well, I've gone the last two days to try and ride, but it was closed both times. I must be just missing it.

For what its worth, I think the exterior music sounds good - very Future World, although the loop seems a bit too short.

RobotWolf

I've been amazed reading the threads about the SSE revamp! I watched the video and the attraction looks superb. The score sounds great and Judy Dench sounds very good as well.

The animatronics look simply incredible, we have great new show scenes, and all I'm reading about is how the ending is terrible with the video screens. Hm, if I recall, the ending never had much. There is a lot seeing things through rose colored glasses around here including how great Tomorrow's Child was. Sorry, as a child and it bored me to tears and I always gladly skipped it on the Disney soundtracks. I know I'm not the only one around here that thought so.

For all of the complaining about the video screens, I haven't seen any mention of the fact that they review things with trivia bits about things that you saw and are EDUCATIONAL. How many times do people post about the lack of educational ideas being in Epcot around here? A lot.

It's easy to understand how Disney and WDI can dismiss us hardcore fans when it seems that no matter what they do, it's never good enough and there is always an amazing amount of complaining. I personally hope that they add more elements to the end than just the video screens, but the ending has never had much to begin with. The Journey Into Imagination redo was complete garbage and it still is pathetic in relation to the original ride, that's something to moan about.

We have an attraction where they have actually ADDED audio-animatronics and that's quite a good piece of news.

QFE

Mikieboy84

I don't know if this has been discussed at lengthe yet, there are SO many threads on SSE right now.

I think it is RIDICULOUS that they have done absolutely nothing to the load or unlad areas. That is just plain bad show in my opinion. How can you have this grand unveiling of something new when the first thing you see is old and tattered?

Katya

I don't know if this has been discussed at lengthe yet, there are SO many threads on SSE right now.

I think it is RIDICULOUS that they have done absolutely nothing to the load or unlad areas. That is just plain bad show in my opinion. How can you have this grand unveiling of something new when the first thing you see is old and tattered?

There's no grand unveiling. It's a preview stage. A we're not done working yet stage. Of all things to wait until last to be worked on, load and unload would be last, if you asked me. For all intents and purposes it seems so much more like testing than anything else (although that's not it's official name because certainly aren't testing how the ride mechanically handles guests).

Also, might I add, they didn't go totally untouched. We have brand new consoles with new systems. My guess is that is what they took their time on, since they are much much nicer than the older ones. And the place has been subtly cleaned up, I believe. Not enough for the average guest to notice, but for someone who's spent a fair number of hours just sitting around and looking at the place, it seems like they've touched it. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets spruced up more before opening.

lcsrig

I am truly amazed at all the complaining! Can someone please explain what you expected? I saw the video and thought the AAs were awesome. OK, so the descent isn't as exciting as you wanted. How would you change it?

darthjohnny

I am truly amazed at all the complaining! Can someone please explain what you expected? I saw the video and thought the AAs were awesome. OK, so the descent isn't as exciting as you wanted. How would you change it?

Some people want and expect a "Horizons." But that means different things to different people. Some use this to compare pretty much everything done in Epcot, which I think is inaccurate to have one attraction embody everything the park has to offer.

I for one am excited to ride it once I get up there and will make my judgment then. :)

kcnole

How would I change it? I wouldn't have our focus be on the screens. I'd have the narrator point us to ways that technology will continue to change the future and challenge us to help that change along. And then instead of staring at the screen look around us and see scenes similar to the end of Horizons of using technology in great ways. Those could be on screens floating in space around us if they want to use screens and I'd be ok. I just don't want to look at a small computer monitor, especially not after seeing some of the most immersive sets ever for the first part of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom