Spaceship Earth is re-imagined by one of its original Imagineers

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
Found this on the Magic of the Month on Disney's Website!!!
Sorry it's so messy, trying to copy and paste from work in a hurry.

A Time Traveler Comes Full Circle

Spaceship Earth is re-imagined by one of its original Imagineers
Bob Zalk was a wide-eyed, newly hired audio engineer when he took on one of his first projects with Walt Disney Imagineering: working on the mighty Epcot® icon, Spaceship Earth, now presented by Siemens. 25 years later, as Senior Show Producer, he found himself leading the team to take this all-time great attraction, and make it even greater for the 21st century and beyond. And you'll be able to experience the newly enhanced attraction this winter. Bob and his team enhanced all of the scenes on this time-travel attraction with new lighting effects, costumes and set decoration, but even more than that, they also created an entirely new story "overlay" to blend the classic scenes with new ones and to add a special interactive aspect to its finale.

A new story for the enhancement
"We're telling a different story this time," he explained. "Our new story is essentially about how all the innovations of one generation influence and inspire another. There's definitely a relationship between the caveman in the early scenes, who is writing on walls, to our era in which we write on computers. It's a series of building blocks that add upon each other as we travel up through Spaceship Earth." Once you reach the top of the 165-foot diameter Spaceship Earth geodesic dome, the new, interactive touch screens on your "time machine" vehicle will invite you to create your own visions of the future and see yourself in that future. On top of all that, a new narration will be accompanied by an exciting new musical score composed and conducted by nine-time Emmy® Award winner Bruce Broughton, who has created music for many other major Disney attractions and films. "It's a challenge to create music for an attraction like this because you have to know how to blend the music seamlessly from scene to scene," Bob explained. "You want to treat an attraction with the kind of majesty it deserves and Bruce rises to the occasion."

"Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow"
After you leave your time machine, you can explore a new interactive area with lots of fun and fascinating exhibits. "There's Body Builder, in which you wear 3-D glasses to assemble a digital human body (who talks back to you!), and simulates Siemens' remote surgery technology," Bob explained. "Then we have Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases Siemens' auto accident avoidance systems. "Innervision shows you the future of medical diagnostics in your home—something like your bathroom mirror giving you diagnostics on your body. And Power City is a game what shows how to manage power in a growing city, from routing power to neighborhoods where it's needed to replacing fossil fuels with wind and solar power."

All time favorites will live on through time
But the essence of Spaceship Earth will remain a constant. "Everything that everyone loved about the attraction—the smell of Rome burning, the monk snoring—will still be there, but it will be a new experience in a good many ways," Bob explained. "I think we're all mindful of the tradition that these kinds of attractions hold. So when we approach it as a team, we do it very carefully. You want to keep the ingredients that made it special." And it's personally very special to Bob Zalk. "Coming in as a young Imagineer 25 years ago and getting to work on something like Spaceship Earth-I was just in awe, not only of the attraction, but also of the people I was privileged to work with and their years with the company. I learned a lot from them. Now at this point, we have young people on our team and we're now mentoring these Imagineers. I'm getting an interesting flashback feeling. How often do you get a chance to work on something like this two times around?"

xtimMOOthyx

I am so excited to see that SSE is getting the makeover it deserves. This is my favorite attraction, so I am glad to hear that they are preserving those "special" elements. I can't wait to ride it, even if I do have to wait until February!

al5957

What a great article, its nice to see that they are updating it to bring it current with todays world while still keeping the look and feel of the SSE that we all know and love.

GrimGhost

Wow! Sounds very cool and I'm glad to hear Broughton is doing the score, I guess now the question remains who will be doing the narration.

Skippy_

I'm glad the Imagineers working on SSE have a better appreciation for this attraction than the Imagineers who worked on the Pirates refurb did!

We won't see any classic characters replaced with movie actors: Sacha Baron Cohen as Borat won't replace the Egyptian with Papyrus, Spencer Breslin won't replace our New York paperboy, Joaquin Phoenix will not be the Roman that gives Orlando Bloom a message to deliver while Russell Crowe rides in the background, and Tim Allen won't be the new Gutenberg that resembles Santa.

My Mom will be glad to hear the Monk will be safe, it was always her favorite!

Skippy

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Sounds Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I just wish they could have finnished it by December. :cry:

Horizons1

Sahweet, I'm so psyched for this. I can't wait for it to open. Thought the Imagineer was going to be Ray Bradbury though.

brkgnews

Sounds like the refurbed SSE will be more like Horizons 2.0 than SSE.
As well it should be...

* WARNING! Perisphere Rant ahead! :lookaroun *

... going under the idea of EPCOT being a permanent world's fair, SSE serves as the fair's "theme center." In the 1939 World's Fair, the Periphere was the theme center, meaning it was the attraction that simultaneously was the architectural "masterpiece" of the fair and also housed its signature attraction (an attraction which demonstrated the overall goal/mission/message/whatever of the fair).

Few will argue the fact that SSE itself is the architectural triumph of EPCOT. Much like the perishpere, no one had ever built a free-standing sphere of that type before, and of course, both served as the "weenie" of their respective fairs. (Both also had an appendage that was somewhat dubious and accused of ruining the scale of their counterparts, but that's another argument for another day).

1939's perishpere held an exhibit called "Democracity" outlining the triumph of man and what the future could hold. But -- the Democracity exhibit in the theme center was somewhat trumped by (of all things) the General Motors exhibit. In GM's "Futurama," guests rode in sideways-facing cars and saw animatronic miniatures showing the world of tomorrow in many different settings... and it was easily one of the most popular shows at the fair. Sound familiar?

Much like the Perisphere took an unintentional backseat to Futurama back in 1939, SSE took an unintentional backseat to Horizons once it opened. Horizons came along and essentially became the theme center of EPCOT, showcasing the over-arching mission of EPCOT better than the intended theme center did (I've actually heard that more was intended for SSE but wasn't posssible due to technological limitations, but I haven't been able to confirm that). So when Horizons went away, EPCOT was essentially devoid of the attraction "half" of the theme center concept. SSE's communication focus was a good concept to discuss, but it wasn't really completely representative of the "theme" of EPCOT.

So this'll be a nice (and appropriate) change.

* end NYWF39 rant :D I really should write a book. :lookaroun *

A great article and a great find. This is sounding like a more and more exciting refurb with every bit of info that comes out. :D

I-4Warrior

Great article... thanks for posting it! I was apprehensive about a new SSE... it falls behind only the Haunted Mansion as my favorite attraction, and I really hated the thought of it being changed. Then I realized that this is Epcot, and innovation is something they've always tried to push there. I guess you've just got to trust the Imagineers, and reading the article, it seems like trusting them with SSE is going to pay off.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As well it should be...

WARNING! Perisphere Rant ahead! :lookaroun

... going under the idea of EPCOT being a permanent world's fair, SSE serves as the fair's "theme center." In the 1939 World's Fair, the Periphere was the theme center, meaning it was the attraction that simultaneously was the architectural "masterpiece" of the fair and also housed its signature attraction (an attraction which demonstrated the overall goal/mission/message/whatever of the fair).
Few will argue that SSE itself is the architectural triumph of EPCOT. Much like the perishpere, no one had ever built a free-standing sphere of that type before, and of course, both served as the "weenie" of their respective fairs.

1939's perishpere held an exhibit called "Democracity" outlining the triumph of man and what the future could hold. But -- the Democracity exhibit in the theme center was somewhat trumped by (of all things) the General Motors exhibit. In GM's "Futurama," guests rode in sideways-facing cars and saw animatronic miniatures showing the world of tomorrow in many different settings... and it was easily one of the most populare shows at the fair. Sound familiar?

Much like the Perisphere took an unintentional backseat to Futurama back in 1939, SSE took and unintentional backseat to Horizons once it opened. Horizons came along and essentially became the theme center of EPCOT, showcasing the over-arching mission of EPCOT. So when Horizons went away, EPCOT was essentially devoid of the attraction "half" of the theme center concept. SSE's communication focus was a good concept to discuss, but it wasn't really completely representative of the "theme" of EPCOT.

So this'll be a nice (and appropriate) change.

* end NYWF39 rant :D *

A great article and a great find. This is sounding like a more and more exciting refurb with every bit of info that comes out. :D
I have always thought this as well. When I first went to Epcot I thought that as an attraction Horizons better represented the overall theme of future world. When the sketchy details of the scope of this refurb started to surface it sure did appear the Siemens wanted the attraction that bore their name to be about the past present and future of technology and not just communication.

MojoMax

First of all Thanks for the article. One of my favorite reads here in some time. Also Thanks to brkgnews for sharing your take on this. I am also on your side with this and hope to see that same future.

I am soooo excited now! Feb cannot come too soon for me. I am glad the smell in Rome is there too. I do so want BBQ however when I am there!:lol:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
wow, this does sound more exciting. i guess since our rumor/assumptions are seeing some light.

cant wait till 2012 (yes, sadly, that is when i will return) :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom