Spaceship Earth is re-imagined by one of its original Imagineers

aladdin2007

Sounds fantastic, if only the article had announced just a couple more details but will be patient and wait. Thrilled though that they have confirmed buring Rome and etc is remaining.
I wonder if the future city set with all the sparkling lights was ripped out in the descent? Was hoping that may be one part they would keep there. But oh well.

Figment571

You what would be really cool, if they built a brand new version of Horizons if they demolish WOL. Think about it, it would be even better walking up towards a new horizon. Maybe build a different type of structure this time too. But alas only in my dreams.

darthjohnny

the new, interactive touch screens on your "time machine" vehicle will invite you to create your own visions of the future and see yourself in that future.

It sounds like the scene in Spaceship Earth where the school children were playing with the computer and making scenes of the future with the bee and the planet Mars.

Only this time, the guests will experience it for themselves. Cool! :D

Testtrack321

You what would be really cool, if they built a brand new version of Horizons if they demolish WOL. Think about it, it would be even better walking up towards a new horizon. Maybe build a different type of structure this time too. But alas only in my dreams.

I disagree, keep the building, it looks like a sun rising on the Horizion, and if you build up the land some more, it'll really look like one!

jasondiff

Although there's not much that we here don't already know, this story is significant in the fact that Disney is releasing details to the public at large to try to get some excitement going for the reopening.
I just booked a trip for March 16-21, it was going to be June but I moved it up a little! Hope there's not another 3-month delay!

DME

They learned their lesson from the horrible mistakes they made with the 1st Imagination modifcations.

Figment571

^ "Oh God! They're rioting, I never should have played God! The Disney Geeks have Gone crazy!" What happened promptly after the first Imagination rehab.

I can't wait to see this new version though. I think the interactive element will not disappoint, and I'm interested to see what they are adding and see how it affects the whole show before the modern age.

Magic Maker

I miss Horizons, like really, really bad. It still ticks me off that Mission: SPACE is in its place. I know we will never get it back, but it is nice to know that maybe, just maybe SSE will be more reminiscent of Horizons. My main thing is that they fix the bumpy track. I mean that ride can hurt your kneck from all the rickety bumps.

Rob562

You know what the smell reminds me of? Imitation Bacon Bits.

And yes, I'm serious. Odd.

I've always thought it smelled like barbecue sauce. (Hmmm... Maybe the "Smellitzer" is really just a fan blowing across a large table covered with those little cups of barbecue sauce you get in the Counter Service places, all peeled open.) ;)

-Rob

Enigma

Account Suspended
Im just scared about this gimmicky "interactive" feature. I keep getting visions of seeing guests faces projected on the inside of the SSE dome or things equally absurd. I hope its more like Horizons where you just pick a future and then it shows you flying around in an environment or something on your own screen.

NASAMan

Reading this brought to mind the ad campaign that Lucas used when Star Wars was re-released to theaters:

Come see it again - for the first time!

This also applies to the Haunted Mansion (good job!) and to a lesser extent the river ride in Mexico.

brkgnews

I doubt they'd go as far as to screw the 180 top... but I've underestimateed stupidity before. :lookaroun

Nonetheless, I just hope the interactive feature still WORKS after a few months. How many gee-whiz attraction effects have we seen work on AP preview days or a few weeks after, then die an agonizing death?

beefog

Man, I can't believe the pushed the opening back to Feb 08. I made my next trip for Jan 14-20th so I could see it. Now I have to wait till Dec 08 :veryconfu

But oh well, as long as its a good sttraction when its done and gives you something to think about when you get off. I am up for the wait.

I'll jsut have to stay away from the spoliers on the web.

Slowjack

I always understood that the main reason why SSE didn't get it's original "Horizons-esque" theme was because Bell System/AT&T really wanted to push the communications theme to promote their telephone company.
I can't remember many details of the original Vic Perrin narration, but I do remember it pushed the communications angle very little, at least compared to Cronkite. It was really more about the scope of human history. I remember the ending had Perrin saying something like "we must dare to fulfill our destiny!" It was much grander and broad.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I doubt they'd go as far as to screw the 180 top... but I've underestimateed stupidity before. :lookaroun

Nonetheless, I just hope the interactive feature still WORKS after a few months. How many gee-whiz attraction effects have we seen work on AP preview days or a few weeks after, then die an agonizing death?
yes, and im looking really really long term.... like 2012. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom