News Spaceship Earth is Leaking

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Here now and rode SSE at 8:45 pm today. No damage noted to any ride scene, HVAC seemed functional in all areas, pre/post show and ride area. Didn’t see so much as a drop of water anywhere inside. Don’t think this was as severe as most thought.
Excellent news. Thank you.
SSE is our first scheduled ride on Wednesday. 🙂

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Today. Still dripping, open.

05C2280E-57ED-44C1-96C3-E049F1B69764.jpeg

donsullivan

Premium Member
Today. Still dripping, open.

View attachment 309201

The fact that they re-opened even though it's still draining water seems to indicate that whatever happened likely took place in the lower, hanging portion of the sphere therefore not damaging any of the show elements or ride system which is indeed a good thing. I believe, from elevations I've seen in the past that there is a large mechanical room in the lower portion of the sphere, below the major ride system and show scenes.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I saw this when I was there on Sunday. Went yesterday to pick up my AP cutting board and it seemed to be fine. Didn't notice any water spots by the evening and the ride functioned as normal.
You have to look to see but prior to the Thank the Phoenixians as you come around the bend there is scaffolding immediately on your left. You have to actually turn around to see the wall they are working at fixing. The lights in that corner are turned out so my photo didn’t turn out without a flash.

Missing20K

This may vary by chilled water system, maybe? Thankfully, the water that poured onto my head and over my desk was neither rust-colored, smelley, brown, or black. It was perfectly clear, though pretty cold.

I found a video that is the closest to what happened:

Water that clean is almost certainly cold or hot water supply for domestic use (bathroom, kitchen, laundry, etc.).

ppet

Water that clean is almost certainly cold or hot water supply for domestic use (bathroom, kitchen, laundry, etc.).
That is not always true. The water that first comes out of a sprinkler system may be dark and nasty, but after flowing for a few minutes the water will clear up. The water gets nasty from being still in the pipes. There is no flow in these systems normally.

Missing20K

That is not always true. The water that first comes out of a sprinkler system may be dark and nasty, but after flowing for a few minutes the water will clear up. The water gets nasty from being still in the pipes. There is no flow in these systems normally.

100% of the time, no. But if that was a Fire Suppression System that was leaking the vast majority of systems set off the building alarms when water begins moving through the system or there is a loss of pressure. There are no strobes or alarms going off in the video which led me to think it is a plumbing issue.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

With a single sprinkler head flowing it will take a long time to get to that point where fresh water from the main is being drawn into the flowing sprinkler head (Given the length and diameter of piping and quantity of static water in the system). Additionally sediment and rush tend to propagate to the flowing sprinkler head from other parts in the system. Regardless, it smells really bad and looks even worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom