News Spaceship Earth is Leaking

ppet

100% of the time, no. But if that was a Fire Suppression System that was leaking the vast majority of systems set off the building alarms when water begins moving through the system or there is a loss of pressure. There are no strobes or alarms going off in the video which led me to think it is a plumbing issue.
Agree with the fact that even a small flow will trigger the flow switch and put FA system in alarm status. So it was likely that the leak was from potable water or cooling water.

ppet

With a single sprinkler head flowing it will take a long time to get to that point where fresh water from the main is being drawn into the flowing sprinkler head (Given the length and diameter of piping and quantity of static water in the system). Additionally sediment and rush tend to propagate to the flowing sprinkler head from other parts in the system. Regardless, it smells really bad and looks even worse.
I agree with what you are saying with the condition that location of the head that tripped plays a part. If it is near the standpipe the flow will clear faster than if it is farther away.

muddyrivers

It’s crazy when you consider it. Offices, a workshop, staircases, wardrobe, storerooms, bathrooms, break rooms, mechanical, plant, computer rooms - plus the ride - all inside.

Watching that behind the scenes tour from the 90s on YouTube absolutely amazed me. Seeing all of the rooms and workshops that you never see from the ride... it is astonishing how much they are able to fit.

peter11435

100% of the time, no. But if that was a Fire Suppression System that was leaking the vast majority of systems set off the building alarms when water begins moving through the system or there is a loss of pressure. There are no strobes or alarms going off in the video which led me to think it is a plumbing issue.
Agree with the fact that even a small flow will trigger the flow switch and put FA system in alarm status. So it was likely that the leak was from potable water or cooling water.
Depending on the situation and the building not all Disney attractions default to visible strobes and audible alarms when in alarm status.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Depending on the situation and the building not all Disney attractions default to visible strobes and audible alarms when in alarm status.

That couldn’t be any more wrong.

RCID fire codes are based off of NFPA 72 the national fire alarm code. Suppressing notification of an alarm to building occupants is expressly prohibited.

Alarms with permission from the ahj and if specific conditions are met can be delayed up to 180 seconds for verification but that would require a constantly manned stationed at the buildings fire command center.

peter11435

RCID fire codes are based off of NFPA 72 the national fire alarm code. Suppressing notification of an alarm to building occupants is expressly prohibited.

Alarms with permission from the ahj and if specific conditions are met can be delayed up to 180 seconds for verification but that would require a constantly manned stationed at the buildings fire command center.

I am not wrong.

I can assure you that many attraction buildings at WDW can have active fire alarms where depending on certain conditions, audible and visible alarms will not initiate for a period longer than 180 seconds.

Missing20K

That's...um....interesting. AFAIK, ADA requires audible and visual notifications any time a fire suppression or fire alarm system is activated.

Missing20K

I am not wrong.

I can assure you that many attraction buildings at WDW can have active fire alarms where depending on certain conditions audible and visible alarms will not initiate for a period longer than 180 seconds.

This is incredibly......interesting.

Care to elaborate?

Missing20K

As I said, it depends on the conditions and location of the particular alarm.

The edit of my last post and your reply passed in the middle of the night and ne'er spoke a word. ;)

Are you able to elaborate about what conditions in which this could happen? If not, I understand.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I am not wrong.

I can assure you that many attraction buildings at WDW can have active fire alarms where depending on certain conditions, audible and visible alarms will not initiate for a period longer than 180 seconds.

I’ll call your bluff, Which ones?

I can assure you, you are quite wrong. Not only is it non compliance with local and state codes, which override anything RCID does. I can assure you that if you pull a pull station anywhere In WDW the alarm will activate right away.

I have professional contacts with the fire group at Siemens Building in central FL who handle most of the Fire Systems at WDW. We’ve discussed a lot regarding fire systems at WDW.

peter11435

I’ll call your bluff, Which ones?

I can assure you, you are quite wrong. Not only is it non compliance with local and state codes, which override anything RCID does. I can assure you that if you pull a pull station anywhere In WDW the alarm will activate right away.

I have professional contacts with the fire group at Siemens Building in central FL who handle most of the Fire Systems at WDW. We’ve discussed a lot regarding fire systems at WDW.

I can assure you I am not wrong.

I won’t go into details about specific buildings on here.

You are correct that if you pull a fire alarm it will activate right away. Like I said multiple times it depends on the exact conditions and type of alarm.

In this case if there was water flow in the sprinkler system, then yes, strobes and audible alarms would have been activated.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I can assure you I am not wrong.

I won’t go into details about specific buildings on here.

You are correct that if you pull a fire alarm it will activate right away. Like I said multiple times it depends on the exact conditions and type of alarm.

In this case if there was water flow in the sprinkler system, then yes, strobes and audible alarms would have been activated.

I believe you are referring to detector verification which is permitted for certain use groups to prevent nuisance alarms.

Typically they are associated with smoke detectors. If a detector alarms the system goes into a pre alarm state which initiated a countdown 60-90 seconds. IF the detector alarms again or another detector/pull station/water flow device activates during that time frame the system alarms. If nothing happens the system returns to normal.

Most attraction buildings have two types of smoke detectors, VESDA aspirating smoke detectors which utilize air sampling to detect smoke. They are very sensitive and but usually not prone to false alarms. (Except for Pandora rides building). The other type is your standard spot smoke detector which is more prevalent but more susceptible to nuisance alarms.

peter11435

I believe you are referring to detector verification which is permitted for certain use groups to prevent nuisance alarms.

Typically they are associated with smoke detectors. If a detector alarms the system goes into a pre alarm state which initiated a countdown 60-90 seconds. IF the detector alarms again or another detector/pull station/water flow device activates during that time frame the system alarms. If nothing happens the system returns to normal.

Most attraction buildings have two types of smoke detectors, VESDA aspirating smoke detectors which utilize air sampling to detect smoke. They are very sensitive and but usually not prone to false alarms. (Except for Pandora rides building). The other type is your standard spot smoke detector which is more prevalent but more susceptible to nuisance alarms.

Basically yes, although for many buildings this state exceeds 60-90 seconds.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Which is their prerogative. Smoke detectors at WDW are really considered suplemental protection, Since all structures at WDW are sprinkled there is no code requirement for smoke detection except for: in front of elevators, elevator shafts/pits/machine room,next to smoke doors, above fire alarm control equipment, and in sleeping areas.

Last edited:

Missing20K

So then it may be fair to deduce the particular leak in question is/was not caused by the fire suppression system?

I thought this was the case, but @peter11435 was being a bit vague (totally fair, no reason to "out" any of your sources) so thanks to both of you for the information!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom