Spaceship Earth gets ready for wandless

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by MJL
DDuckfan,

I really was only kidding, Im sorry if I offended you. Tongue-in-cheek is kinda hard to convey on a message board. There are TONS of brilliant and deep women in this world, and even if you arent brilliant and deep, thats OK too ... sorry again.:eek:

But dont you think that men and women GENERALLY come away with different impressions of EPCOT? <serious question>

It's ok. I wasn't really offended I just couldn't believe you said that. :lol: But I guess you're right when you're typing something on a message board it's hard to tell what the tone is and all.

I can see WHY you generalized, but I don't know. I guess you'd have to take a poll or something :lol:.

For the record, I am pretty brilliant and deep...I have proof :p

charliez

Kind of liking it...

Never thought it was as much of a travesty as the cake-ification of the castle , and while I think it detracts some from the iconic nature of SSE, it's kiind of cool just for it's size and positioning alongside something that had stood alone for so long. I could go with different lettering for the "EPCOT," though.

It's also a clear indication of management's efforts to bring more "Disney" (read: character) elements to EPCOT to make it a little more appealing to younger kids.

Now, I realy hate the hat in MGM - not for the symbol (how could I hate THAT?) but for the "plopped down" placement in front of GMR. But I don't think it's going anywhere soon.

djmatthews

It is funny that various park maps and so on don't feature the wand. If you look above the ticket booths to where there are pictures of the 4 icons, hat, castle, tree, SSE does not have a wand.

Get rid, and do something magical and special with lights, maybe for 2007 when Epcot will be 25 years old. Why not combine it with "Illuminations 25" - hang on, where I have heard that before, maybe Disney could recycle a soundtrack. :lol:

WDWEric

I don't really remember the Ball from my childhood, Since that was the last time I was there before last year, (12years) But know that I know the wand I think it would look funny with out it, All the pictures you see on Website and in books and on TV have the wand. So to just remove would make it look totally different. Not sure if that is a good different or a bad different....just different.

Mickifan17

Originally posted by MJL
DDuckfan,

But dont you think that men and women GENERALLY come away with different impressions of EPCOT? <serious question>

I know my wife doesn't really care for EPCOT. She's bored to tears when I look at all the gadgets and things like that. I don't think that's all women, but I know my wife doesn't appreciate it.

Back on the subject at hand, as with anything else, everybody has their own opinion of what should be done. I don't think the wand is horrible, but enjoyed SSE without it. It reminds me of the original EPCOT from the 80's.

As for the Hat at MGM, I think the hat looks incredible...just not where it is. :veryconfu I understand Disney wanted it to be the center of attention for the 100YOM, but again, it takes away from the original image of what the park represents - Movie Magic.

Oh well. I guess like anything, with time comes change. All things must evolve and I guess that's what Disney did with the parks too. Doesn't everybody do a little something to improve their homes each year to try and make it look better? JMO

Only 15 more days to WDW :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

sabian

EPCOT Center was the original name and it should be restored. I prefer the older epcot. No knock on test track and mission:space, they are great rides; however, technology and ingenuity must be restored to Future World. Bring back the original ideals and goals of EPCOT CENTER!!!

cloudboy

What I hate so much about it is that without the wand, it was a nice simple, but really bold looking building. I was a statement and just drew you to it. Now it's just another billboard that has to compete with everything else. I think it subtly changed the entire nature of EPCOT/Epcot/Epcot Center (Perhaps the park formally known as EPCOT?). Instead of being a bold statement of the future it's just another show.

MartyMouse

Originally posted by ciscobee
I do not have kids, but there is honestly nothing there for kids 10 and under except some video games and a couple of rides.

I think EPCOT Center was to be Disney for adults, and kids who (hold on here it comes) want to learn not the lazy TV junkies that we seem to be catering to. The wand seems a little low brow for what was once a high brow park.

barnum42

Originally posted by Mickifan17
As for the Hat at MGM, I think the hat looks incredible...just not where it is. :veryconfu I understand Disney wanted it to be the center of attention for the 100YOM, but again, it takes away from the original image of what the park represents - Movie Magic.
In a past post on the hat, someone came up with the great idea of moving the hat to outside the main gates at the front. The hat would stay, the park would not lose it's new icon and you could see the Chinese Theatre again.

DarkMeasures

Originally posted by chucknstuff
get rid of the wand and give it a middle finger....remove the word epcot and have it say eisner

**** it. Why is it in every topic someone just has to take a cheap shot at Eisner? Can't you just instead talk about the current topic than try to make fun of somone?

BalooChicago

I never even noticed the theater before the hat - it's a bad copy of a bad building that contains a bad ride and has nothing to do with Disney. It is not the least bit imaginative. The Sorcerer's hat on the other hand is. Long live the hat!

barnum42

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
**** it. Why is it in every topic someone just has to take a cheap shot at Eisner?
Because he is making Disney cheap in order to line his own two faced pockets.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by DarkMeasures
**** it. Why is it in every topic someone just has to take a cheap shot at Eisner? Can't you just instead talk about the current topic than try to make fun of somone?

Some people just cant resist a cheap shot, just like some never miss the chance to pukker up:kiss:

mickhyperion

I hope when they do take down the hand that they do a live televised implosion of it so we can watch it go down. They could even make it a hard ticket event and create limited edition pins and merchandise for it, perhaps even entire vacation packages. Just think of all the magical marketing opportunities! :)

rtiller

If I remember correctly, a CM once told me that Epcot was changed from EPCOT because they couldn't trademark/register an acronym. So to trademark it that changed the name to Epcot. Why they dropped the "Center" I have no clue.

Pippa

I know, put the hat on SSE and the wand above the castle, turn the tree of life into a christmas tree and leave MGM alone!!!
:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom