Spaceship Earth coaster???

ToTBellHop

Space Mountains interior is smaller than SSE. Space Mountain doesnt even take up of all the usable space inside.
it's the "usable space for a coaster" bit that is important. You can't just start ripping out all of the walls and floors on SSE to make it a hollow sphere...

I believe SSE is about 160 feet in diameter (even if we assumed you could use all that space, which you can't). I believe Space Mountain is about 300 ft in diameter and 180 feet tall. Stands to reason the absolute volume of Space Mountain is greater than SSE's.

jmvd20

I thought SM would be much larger in terms of volume than SSE. Now in terms of floor area I am not sure since SSE has a number of different levels inside of it.

The overall SF for SSE would be very misleading when comparing it to the SF of SM, at least in terms of coaster construction.

Enchantâmes

Don't anybody even think about changing Spaceship Earth! That being said, I wouldn't call anything impossible if you put the right minds behind the project. If I'm not mistaken there is a roller coaster on the top of a tower in Las Vegas. Certainly there's not much room there. I'm sure a roller coaster COULD be built in SE. It just wouldn't be traditional, or long, or practical, or appropriate.

The first time I saw SE, I was 4. I thought it was solid. Imagine my surprise when I found out there was a ride inside! I guess when I stop and think about it, its still kind of shocking. So I'd say yes, anything is possible for Disney. But that certainly doesn't mean it'll happen.
The "high roller" rollercoaster was removed in 2005 sadly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Second, there is plenty of room in SSE for a coaster in my opinion. Take Space Mountain for example, its interior is smaller than SSE..
Erm... SM's cubic capacity is more than double SSE :wave:

The main issue SSE would have would be in structural vibration. It was never designed to hold a coaster. Yes, take all the interior walls out - gut it completely - and it will still stand up. Even if you could take the floors out it wouldn`t collapse, that is the nature of a geodisic dome (of which SSE is actually 2. Or 4.) Of course, there is no way to get all this out without cutting open the building. It`d be cheaper to start again. Time Racers and Gemini looked at the idea, but thankfully it got no further than blue sky.

Disneyfanman

I would really have no objection to a coaster attraction at Epcot. Just not in SSE. Look how well Expedition Everest fits into the AK. My wife cannot ride most coasters, but she now considers EE to be the best attraction at WDW.

Epcot82Guy

I agree. I think a ROTM-style coaster in World Showcase would be a great addition.

And, as the Gemni talks showed, putting a coaster in SSE would require massive structural overhaul of the sphere because the ride system supports are integrated with the sphere supports. Therefore, the useable space would be quite small.

All this considered, coaster at Epcot? Sure. In SSE, almost certainly no.

Lee

Adventurer
:snore:
Haven't we been over this?
Yes, it's been done. No, it's not gonna happen to SSE.
:rolleyes:

esa2.jpg

The Mak

Why don't they use the existing scenes for the coaster?
use the japanese scence as the launch area for example and set the story around that?

Ignoring the spelling mistakes:

- The building itself can't support a roller coaster in its current form.
- How would it launch?
- How would it stop? The descent through the core is really steep. Any brake installed there would require constant replacement.

bennyw01

it was considered and assessed a few years back but dismissed on price. not space. the development would of been more exterior to the sphere, and they would have had to make some alterations to the back of the sphere, taking into account what people have been saying about the wand, imagine a big warehouse hanging out the back of it. however smaller coaster was considered. but hey when in rome.......... smell the dark ages.

Fun2BFree

Ignoring the spelling mistakes:

- The building itself can't support a roller coaster in its current form.
- How would it launch?
- How would it stop? The descent through the core is really steep. Any brake installed there would require constant replacement.

Not to mention the ride would be over in ten seconds. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom