Spaceship Earth CLOSED July 9 through November 1, 2007

CThaddeus

A shame. You'd think they would actually want their ICON open on its anniversary. I know, I know, better they give it some much needed TLC than run it all the time. It's just too bad they didn't get around to starting this rehab two months sooner. Re-opening it on October 1st would have been a perfect beginning for the rededication of the Park. Perhaps they'll open it to previews that day.

Figment82

The problem is they need it to be open for the 4th of July insanity. I'm just as upset about it being closed during the birthday, but I understand the need to push the closing date back. Let's just hope they can get it open sooner (haha, yeah right) or at least maybe a soft preview? I'm just glad SSE is getting its much needed TLC, and at least we have advance warning. I'll be there on the 1st regardless. :)

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
The problem is they need it to be open for the 4th of July insanity. I'm just as upset about it being closed during the birthday, but I understand the need to push the closing date back. Let's just hope they can get it open sooner (haha, yeah right) or at least maybe a soft preview? I'm just glad SSE is getting its much needed TLC, and at least we have advance warning. I'll be there on the 1st regardless. :)
It'll be closed on the 1st--reopens Sunday, November 2nd. I think the odds of this being open for the 25th b-day are pretty much nil--they are cramming this in, as is, so there's really no chance of it being done a month before the planned finish date, unfortunately.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Excellent news. Will SSE also close next spring when they redo the area around Spaceship Earth as mentioned in the press release and internal email?

CTXRover

Spaceship Earth: Closed for Refurbishment [May 7, 2007 to May 10, 2007]

And also June 22 and 23rd.

Hmm... I wonder what they plan on doing for those 4 days in May and 2 days in June? Perhaps we will see some minor stuff happening up until it closes in July and those days are needed to do some bigger work that can't be done at night/early morning during May and June?

The calendar on disneyworld.com only goes through October. I was just wondering where it was stated that it was reopening November 2nd?

Anyway, this is going to be at least a 4 month refurb, yea! This could turn out really neat, especially given the new look of the post-show. I look forward to seeing that in person in a 2 1/2 weeks, as well as riding SE one last time in its current form (assuming that little May refurb doesn't go any longer than planned)

Figment82

It'll be closed on the 1st--reopens Sunday, November 2nd. I think the odds of this being open for the 25th b-day are pretty much nil--they are cramming this in, as is, so there's really no chance of it being done a month before the planned finish date, unfortunately.

I meant I'll be there October 1st (the birthday), sorry. And yes, I know there's no chance for an early opening. It's a shame, but c'est la vie. I'm just glad to have advance warning.

PigletIsMyCat

Personally, I don't understand the wand hatred. I think it's kind of cute, all sparkly and lit up.

But, then, I'm a girly type and like sparkly, shiny things.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Is that long enough to get rid of the wand by any chance... ?

According to the email that was sent out to CM's and the original press release there will be another phase of rennovation slated for SSE in the Spring of 2008 and the hope is that this is when they will finally tear down the ugly wand and do some retooling of the SSE/Communicore area.

CThaddeus

Personally, I don't understand the wand hatred. I think it's kind of cute, all sparkly and lit up.

But, then, I'm a girly type and like sparkly, shiny things.

Perhaps because Spaceship Earth is not supposed to be "cute." It's supposed to be majestic and awe-inspiring. Without the Wand, it is. With it, it is precisely as you described, which I feel takes away from the important messages contained within the attraction. It would be like a dignified speaker standing at the podium in a clown suit. No one would take that person seriously.
But, when we yank it down on October 1st, I'll be happy to let you take it home with you. It might look good over your house! It's got to look good somewhere...

psifreek27

A shame. You'd think they would actually want their ICON open on its anniversary. I know, I know, better they give it some much needed TLC than run it all the time. It's just too bad they didn't get around to starting this rehab two months sooner. Re-opening it on October 1st would have been a perfect beginning for the rededication of the Park. Perhaps they'll open it to previews that day.

Give it a rest ...geez.

C&D

Man, that aspirates; gonna be there in October. I guess it will just make it more special on our next visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom