Spaceship Earth closed August 18th-24th for refurbishment.

spacemountain89

Do we know what they will be completing on this shutdown that started yesterday? Did they put walls up for the few days??
refurb starts on the 22nd now. They are replacing track from where the car rotates 180 degrees at the end of the ride through the beginning of load. They are also repairing the steam press and replacing carpet in the post show.

Robbguy

As I understand it Foxy Brown in the computer lab scene is going to get a brand new outfit and she had to go shop for it so they had to close it while she shopped <G>

I am actually hoping that they will reopen some of the scenes from the old SE. They are still up there but covered in cloth. There are decent scenes that could be added back in such as the teacher and fiber technology with lights.

Katie Martin

I just got off of it - not much to report. The steam press is still not functioning and behind a scrim. If anything, there appeared to be a few more of the blue lights in the descent. There was a maintenance light left on going down which was probably the most exciting thing I saw. Other than that, no changes really observed.

muteki

I just got off of it - not much to report. The steam press is still not functioning and behind a scrim. If anything, there appeared to be a few more of the blue lights in the descent. There was a maintenance light left on going down which was probably the most exciting thing I saw. Other than that, no changes really observed.
How hard is it to make a wheel turn? At least with the scrim up they are working on it/acknowledging that it is broke.

tirian

How hard is it to make a wheel turn? At least with the scrim up they are working on it/acknowledging that it is broke.
Yes, but it should have been fixed long ago. The attraction has a sponsor; it's not as if Disney has to pony up the money themselves.

Sponsorship is part of the reason TDR can maintain high standards. Even their day parade is sponsored.

muteki

Yes, but it should have been fixed long ago. The attraction has a sponsor; it's not as if Disney has to pony up the money themselves.

Sponsorship is part of the reason TDR can maintain high standards. Even their day parade is sponsored.
Sponsorship can only take you so far. Do we know if the deal Siemens signed had them covering the initial refurb of the attraction, initial refurb+maintenance, how long, what percentage, etc.

In any case, Disney shouldn't allow an attraction to rot because it has a sponsor. They should have minimum standards in place such that if the sponsor won't pay to fix it (if they are contractually required to) that things still get fixed. "Sponsor won't pay for it" is not a free pass to let things go IMO. Disney still owns the property and the ultimate responsibility for upkeep, even in the case of stingy sponsors.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom