Spaceship Earth closed August 18th-24th for refurbishment.

cslafferty

How long have they been doing this?
2980319_orig.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yep, its only after IllumiNations, and it displays more than the word SIEMENS.
I've been to park close at EPCOT two times in the past week (post Illuminations), and the laser projection on SSE is no longer there...I specifically looked for it Tuesday night...as I love it.

Not sure if it's absence is a short term thing, or if I just missed something...

Last edited:

cslafferty

Certainly don't mind the laser projection on SSE, but seeing SEIMENS plastered across it is a tacky way to advertise, IMHO.
We usually opt for Wishes!, so I guess that's why I've never seen it. My cousin, who lives down there and goes to WDW all the time, posted a very grainy pic of it on FB with the caption: Seriously, Disney?? Guess they've never seen at least the SEIMENS part of the laser projection!

Oddysey

I never heard about that and it would also beg the question of what would have caused it to "melt". There has never been a fire in there that I remember hearing about. When it started out, he was very close to the track, so not only did they turn him around but they moved him as well, I think. Why wouldn't they just have taken it out. It's not terribly crucial to the ride, just an extra detail. I think it would have been less missed then it is noticed for it's weird location now.

The paperboy has been mismanaged as long as I can remember. First he was a little kid with the voice of a 30 year old. Now he has the voice of a little kid, but faces the wall. What gives?

I've been to park close at EPCOT two times in the past week (post Illuminations), and the laser projection on SSE is no longer there...I specifically looked for it Tuesday night...as I love it.

Not sure if it's absence is a short term thing, or if I just missed something...

Now that you mention it, it was missing last weekend (August 9th) also.

Last edited:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I knew I wasn't wrong, I was certain that the paper boy faced us there. I think the AA even mouthed the words it was saying. Perhaps the face broke and they turned him around. Chalk it up to the lack of maintenance that is all around I guess... Hope they catch it in the refurb since they are working in that area anyway.

*1023*

Oddysey

It only plays at the end of the last "We Go On" song. It worked Sunday night, 8/11, when I was there ...

Now that you mention it, we may have missed it because I had forgotten that we spent an unusually long time in the showcase after RoE.

spacemountain89

I knew I wasn't wrong, I was certain that the paper boy faced us there. I think the AA even mouthed the words it was saying. Perhaps the face broke and they turned him around. Chalk it up to the lack of maintenance that is all around I guess... Hope they catch it in the refurb since they are working in that area anyway.

*1023*
The paper boy got into a fight and has a cut on the right side of his mouth. As punishment they put him in the corner

Goofyernmost

*1023*
Although I cannot say for sure why it was moved, the rumor is that it really wasn't supposed to be there to begin with. If you follow the usual philosophy behind a dark ride of that nature. We are not even there. We are creeping through their world and observing. They cannot see us, we can only see them. Given that, why would there be a paperboy there trying to sell us a newspaper? He would be out on the street side (where he is currently) hawking his papers, we would just be watching. Even if we were considered to be a train, the train wouldn't stop to get a paper. If you accept that, then it was moved to heighten the reality. Those of us that remember him facing us...have a hard time with change. Maybe that explanation will help. I know it helped me. :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom